Is crafting not logical?

+
Is crafting not logical?

I just thought... Crafting is strange. If we order crafting from masters - why we must buy diagrams from them and memorise them to then just tell a master what we need and he will do it? Aren't masters must tell us themselves what they can and can not create? Or atleast we should give them diagrams and not memorise them ourselves. To what use memorised diagrams for a witcher who cant craft himself? I think it must be that ither we craft ourselves and dont pay for crafting process, ither we order thing from master from a list of his diagrams and then only need extra diagram if master dont know how to craft thing that we need.

I don't think Geralt memorizes the diagrams he found/purchased. The available items that can be crafted in the Crafting section is there for players to see without having to visit blacksmith/armorsmith.

Smiths should be able to make common gears and weapons. However, there are many special ones like witcher gears that I'm pretty sure even masters don't have the diagrams, therefore, it's only right for Geralt to provide them in order to be able to make, same goes for the other gears with reason I pointed above.

I don't think Geralt memorizes the diagrams he found/purchased. The available items that can be crafted in the Crafting section is there for players to see without having to visit blacksmith/armorsmith.

Smiths should be able to make common gears and weapons. However, there are many special ones like witcher gears that I'm pretty sure even masters don't have the diagrams, therefore, it's only right for Geralt to provide them in order to be able to make, same goes for the other gears with reason I pointed above.
Actually game openly says that diagrams and recipes that you find you memorise. And why smyth can sell you new diagram but cant craft item from it without selling it to us? Smyth cant make anything without Geralt memorized diagrams. Its very illogical.

yea, lets get hung up on logic in a fantasy realm, filled with trolls, elves, other monsters.. monster slayers, mages casting magic spells... just had to throw that out there.. but i do get what you're trying to say.. i think it's more of a way to keep the game's economy in check.. if you didn't have to spend your crownes on stuff like that, your money would become worthless.

yea, lets get hung up on logic in a fantasy realm, filled with trolls, elves, other monsters.. monster slayers, mages casting magic spells... just had to throw that out there.. but i do get what you're trying to say.. i think it's more of a way to keep the game's economy in check.. if you didn't have to spend your crownes on stuff like that, your money would become worthless.
Then lets craft from thin air, swim underwater wuthout air and ect. Even in fantasy setting there is common logic, weapon kills, you need air underwater and money to buy things. So why you need to learn something so Someone Else could create it??

jj284b

Forum veteran
I think main problem with crafting is that there is no difference in output based on craftsman level... Master Armourer should create higher level armors of the same type, than Journeyman or amateur armourer.. But right now, If you give them to make an armour, they will all make armor of the same quality.. same thing with weapons...

I think it would be much better, if Masters would automatically manufacture high level/high quality versions of weapons and armors. They are not available in the early stages of the game anyway...

Another thing that could improve is ability to "reforge" or "reinforce" own weapons and armors, to increase their level up. This way, you could ask a blacksmith to upgrade your level 1 sword to let say to your current level 8, for a hefty sum of money and resources.. this way, you would be have something to spend your money on constantly, and there wont be a situation where you have 60k on your account and nothing to spend them on...

plus, you would be able to keep the armor and weapon you like (especially weapon style - build in abilities), and just upgrade its level up. it would be a win-win situation. Instead, you are constantly throwing old stuff away for a new one, making Geralt look like jester in all those unfitting pieces of armor you would use just because they have a bit higher armor rating than those cool looking ones..

Last edited:
Give a blue print (read diagram) to a smith and he makes you an item according to instructions in the blue print.
Then why I must buy diagram from smyth to then show it to him? And memorise it? (There is no diagram objectin inventory, and game tutorial says that you memorise it)

---------- Updated at 02:49 PM ----------

I think main problem with crafting is that there is no difference in output based on craftsman level... Master Armourer should create higher level armors of the same type, than Journeyman or amateur armourer.. But right now, If you give them to make an armour, they will all make armor of the same quality.. same thing with weapons...

I think it would be much better, if Masters would automatically manufacture high level/high quality versions of weapons and armors. They are not available in the early stages of the game anyway...

Another thing that could improve is ability to "reforge" or "reinforce" own weapons and armors, to increase their level up. This way, you could ask a blacksmith to upgrade your level 1 sword to let say to your current level 8, for a hefty sum of money and resources.. this way, you would be have something to spend your money on constantly, and there wont be a situation where you have 60k on your account and nothing to spend them on...

plus, you would be able to keep the armor and weapon you like (especially weapon style - build in abilities), and just upgrade its level up. it would be a win-win situation. Instead, you are constantly throwing old stuff away for a new one, making Geralt look like jester in all those unfitting pieces of armor you would use just because they have a bit higher armor rating than those cool looking ones..

Yeah. Rigt now it looks like Geralt craft everything himself but pays for it. 0_o

Then lets craft from thin air, swim underwater wuthout air and ect. Even in fantasy setting there is common logic, weapon kills, you need air underwater and money to buy things. So why you need to learn something so Someone Else could create it??

let's put this in another way.. say you are a master chef.. does that mean you know how to cook every meal known to man? absolutely not.. you have your few things you know by heart.. but here comes that customer who wants something off the wall, with ingredients you're not familiar with.. will you just tell them to fuck off, bc you're not familiar with the dish.. no. you will ask them for the recipe, and then use your master chef skills to prepare the dish to their liking..

same thing with crafting weapons in the witcher.. you find a master blacksmith, yea he can create swords, and such that he is familiar with.. but why on gods earth would they be familiar with crafting special items (witcher gear).. or anything else for that matter.. and again, since you seem to have just completly ignored the second part of my post.. It's more of an economy check, if you didn't have to buy/learn diagrams.. what WOULD you spend your money on.. once you get 30-40 hrs into the game.. you should pretty much have enough money to do whatever you like, without worrying about going broke, ever.. so IMO it's just something to keep you working for crownes..

Actually game openly says that diagrams and recipes that you find you memorise. And why smyth can sell you new diagram but cant craft item from it without selling it to us? Smyth cant make anything without Geralt memorized diagrams. Its very illogical.

Hmm I'm not sure about that but have a look at the info I found in Tutorial

Attachments

• crafting.JPG
    crafting.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 30
swim underwater wuthout air
Actually you do that at one point in game thank to magic spell... And I heard of a potion that allows it also...

It's a game mechanic that allows you to buy the ability to craft better armor without having everything at your finger tips from the get go. To have the smiths be able to make any items they sell for and not for other things they don't in an open world game would be complicated and/or annoying to the player far more than having Geralt keep blue prints. This isn't a linear game where they can just raise price of crafting and have set things each smith can craft.

Last edited:
Actually you do that at one point in game thank to magic spell... And I heard of a potion that allows it also...

It's a game mechanic that allows you to buy the ability to craft better armor without having everything at your finger tips from the get go. To have the smiths be able to make any items they sell for and not for other things they don't in an open world game would be complicated and/or annoying to the player far more than having Geralt keep blue prints. This isn't a linear game where they can just raise price of crafting and have set things each smith can craft.
Then why dont let Geralt to craft every thing himself. Why he must buy diagram from a smyth from wich then he will order an item using this diagram? Isnt smyth already have it if he is selling it? Its like "Hi, Im mega weaponsmyth master! But I dont know how to forge a simple sword. So you must buy this diagram from me and show it to me and then pay me, and only after that Ill create it using my many years earned skills!". Sounds stupid, isnt it?

Then why dont let Geralt to craft every thing himself.
Was wondering that myself. As a game mechanic I'd of prefered it done that way so I don't have to rely on smiths for crafting and I could do it anywhere anytime. Though you need right tool to do crafting that can be explained away very easily and I despise finding the right vendor to craft. but that is a common practice in RPGs as it does make sense so it doesn't bother me that they chose to do it that way.

I look at it this way, you buy the blue print so you can have ANY smith create it, if you use it at the same smith that you bought it from is just coincidence. It is just multi-layered purchase. It would be nice for those selling the blue print to have it offered in their crafting menu with the cost of first crafting to include cost of the blue print .

Top Bottom