Is Cyberpunk 2077 inspired by Robo cop?

+
I see a lot of bits and pieces from the movies already mentioned in the game. Could be inspiration or just fluke.
I've just watched Dredd and Tekken and they both have similarities to the urban life in CP. Only the makers and writers of the game really know for sure where the inspiration came from, could be from all the sources mentioned.
Good post so far, it sure has got me remembering and thinking about older futuristic movies.

The game is greatly inspired by Neuromancer by William Gibson.

The main character in that story is Henry Dorsett (co-incidentally you rescue Sandra Dorsett from first mission). He is a character who due to his own stupidity gets thrown off the employment after stealing from his employer. He gets punished by being separated from computers by limiting his abilities basically and is forced to take mercenary duties in order to try to get back to the top. So basically the corpo path without the stealing reference.

There's a ton of influence of course from other cyberpunk / scifi like Matrix and Ghost in the Shell (for example Judy Alvarez has Ghost in the Shell tattoo). There's also terminator reference even the original Bladerunner scene in the top of the building.

To say that this game has been inspired by other fiction is like saying Sky is blue. These are of course very complex topics and every new author of movie/book/game always tries to bring their own spin into the them.

For example Johnny being an engram that is planted into your head seems like pretty original idea to my knowledge, but of course isn't that uncommon in fantasy, where there can easily be spirits or other unworldly beings that communicate only to you. Death Note for example you got Light Yagami who is able to communicate to Shinigami, a death god, who is only being able to be seen by those who touch the death note.

For example Alt Cunningham becoming a sort of AI God could be inspired by Terminator Salvation where in the end the Terminator has human emotions and goes back to the source AI which reveals its motivations and... well it was pretty messy plot.

But Robocop? I don't really know what exactly got mimicked from there? Maybe the visual UI and scanning people... but those existed in the Ghost in the Shell way before Robocop even was a movie (Ghost in the Shell author created Black Magic and Appleseed, both cyberpunk themed mangas that precede Robocop).

Sometimes it's of course hard to know exactly what came first, chicken or the egg. Often times something else brings out these topics up, like political debates or some warnings about AI from scientific communities, that later triggers people to write stories around them, I doubt it's books or movies which appear very close proximity from each other.
Well, I think everything has been said.
Post automatically merged:

They forgot about Alien 3 :mad: I know it's hated, but for some people, like me , is favourite part of franchise, so dark...so beautiful.. plus that strong anti-megacorpo vibe...
Personally, I have a problem with {Alien-the sequels}.
in my humble opinion, there is only one Alien; the first Opus. {Alien, [In space no one can hear you scream]}. in the dissection of the film, there is from the first Opus an anti-corporate axis. {the mission to capture the intruder and back to earth with it, the crew is basic disposable, optional}.

Last edited:
They forgot about Alien 3 :mad: I know it's hated, but for some people, like me , is favourite part of franchise, so dark...so beautiful.. plus that strong anti-megacorpo vibe...
I feel the same. The design and lightiing for this film is the best. The story wasn't as bad as critics portray it as. I watch it every few months.

Reed.jpg
1624340771719.png

Warren Reed is my favorite. Loud, always upset at his officers who will never live up to his expectations. Wish we could make arrests in Night City to help the NCPD clean up those nasty streets.

Last edited:
I feel the same. The design and lightiing for this film is the best. The story wasn't as bad as critics portray it as. I watch it every few months.
I think this one was not for mass audience. Story is great in my opinion. Tbh I've watched this part first, so maybe I was not emotionally involved after two others, so it was very cool for me: one woman amongst rapers, murderers, prisoner planet, alien had satanic vibe here, and Ripley is like Jesus figure. I think best movie is 1st Alien, but A3 is my favourite, if that makes any sense.

Something similar could be seen : Robocop - he is portrayed walking on water during final confrontation...ressurection etc etc.
in Cyberpunk I think cop set was clearly inspired by cops from Robocop and mechs are similar to ED 209 from movie: big, sloppy, a little bit comic animation when they are destoryed.
Tbh I prefer this kind of inspirations, not heavy handed.
For example there's one mission about 3 thugs attacking bar and it's, for me, heavy handed, inspired by Pulp Ficition. It feels for me like whole quest was done to make reference to movie.

Warren Reed is my favorite. Loud, always upset at his officers who will never live up to his expectations. Wish we could make arrests in Night City to help the NCPD clean up those nasty streets.
Yeah, but another thing: gangs are connected to corpos, just like in Cyberpunk, and police is owned by corpos...just like in CP2077. NCPD is not really same as 2020 police, sometimes you can see them executing unarmed gangsters, Dredd's style.

You will find in Cyberpunk 2077 a lot of references to cinematographic works of the cyberpunk literary genre, including Robocop. But it is not strictly speaking "inspired by" Robocop. If you look carefully you will find great classics of the genre: Johnny Mnemonic, Strange Days, Robocop, Blade Runner, Akira and Ghost in the shell obviously etc... to speak only about films!

This genre is based on "founding" writings of science fiction works by great authors such as José Philip Farme, J.G. Balard, William Gibson, Philip K. Dick or Isaac Asimov. Dick or Isaac Asimov.

In the lead we will mention "The Neuromancer" or "The robots" which will give us movies like A.I., I. Robot or welcome to Gattaca!

As for the game Cyberpunk 2077 itself, it takes its starting point on the paper role-playing game tradinitionnel Cyberpunk 2013 and 2020 whose well known creator Mike Poundsmith, founder of R. Tasorian Games has collaborated with Cyberpunk 2077.

I think this one was not for mass audience. Story is great in my opinion. Tbh I've watched this part first, so maybe I was not emotionally involved after two others, so it was very cool for me: one woman amongst rapers, murderers, prisoner planet, alien had satanic vibe here, and Ripley is like Jesus figure. I think best movie is 1st Alien, but A3 is my favourite, if that makes any sense.

Something similar could be seen : Robocop - he is portrayed walking on water during final confrontation...ressurection etc etc.
in Cyberpunk I think cop set was clearly inspired by cops from Robocop and mechs are similar to ED 209 from movie: big, sloppy, a little bit comic animation when they are destoryed.
Tbh I prefer this kind of inspirations, not heavy handed.
For example there's one mission about 3 thugs attacking bar and it's, for me, heavy handed, inspired by Pulp Ficition. It feels for me like whole quest was done to make reference to movie.

Yeah, but another thing: gangs are connected to corpos, just like in Cyberpunk, and police is owned by corpos...just like in CP2077. NCPD is not really same as 2020 police, sometimes you can see them executing unarmed gangsters, Dredd's style.
If you look at shards scattered in-game looks like 90% of NCPD is a gang itself involved in crime, setting traps to the few honest police officers.

It's (obviously) inspired by Demolition Man (1993). You can also find influences from Looney Tunes and the Pamela Anderson movie Barb Wire (1996).

It's (obviously) inspired by Demolition Man (1993). You can also find influences from Looney Tunes and the Pamela Anderson movie Barb Wire (1996).
To be honest, if you want the original influence for Barb Wire and many others including Akira in Western media then Dark Horse comics need a big massive credit

I love how initial questions tend to blow into long disputs over larger matters ;) Sure, there are many inspirations (and references), but OP asked specifically about Robocop :p That was at least my impression.

I love how initial questions tend to blow into long disputs over larger matters ;) Sure, there are many inspirations (and references), but OP asked specifically about Robocop :p That was at least my impression.
I took it that the OP's suggestion was that Robocop was the main influence, but maybe I'm wrong. :)

The city itself reminds me of Los AngeleS from Blade Runner, Mega City ffom Dredd and Tokyo from Ghost in the Shell. The spirit most resembles, to me, Blade Runner.

Don't really see much Robocop in CP 2077. There was that one line though "Dead or alive. You're coming with me", spoken by one of the cops of NC.

Top Bottom