Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most dissapointing game of 2020? POLL

+

Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most dissapointing game of 2020

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not disappointing for me, actually surprising. The city turned out far better than I was expecting. It is the only open world I never fast travel just because how beautiful it is. I also like very much variety in combat abilities and weapons.

I have the impression many disappointed players were expecting a sort of "second life simulator", while Cyberpunk is more combat focused and story driven.
Post automatically merged:

Nope, there's plenty of room for improvement, but It's still my game of the year, together with CK3.
Same here. CK3 and Doom Eternal, together with Cyberpunk are the best of 2020. Only disappointment was Resident Evil 3, but still a good game.

I voted no.

As I played all CDPR games I knew what type of game to expect. Marketing had no effect on me.

Managed to keep my hype in check, even lowered it at times and for certain elements of the game and the final outcome is far more positive than I expected.
Writes the mod... ;)

Still, forget marketing, what about all the half realized, broken game systems, other, cheaper games nailed down years and years ago? I really don't get like people can look at, say, the AI, the stealth, the itemization or perk systems and say: Wow, yea, that's great stuff!

Last edited:
It's tied with TLoU2. Both games were huge disappointments. I didn't hype myself up for this game at all. I thought at the very least we'll get as much as we got out of the Witcher 3. But this game fails at even meeting that goal. The Witcher is superior in just about every way. The game is still enjoyable, but it was a disappointment.

For me Cyberpunk 2077 was the most disappointing, yes.

Granted I didn't really purchase many new games last year, however I have also never come across a game as hyped up as Cyberpunk 2077 and it ending up being so different to what I and many others expected it to be.

What makes it worse for me is those missing features are what I look for in a game, it was those RPG elements that got me wanting the game in the first place. It is also those RPG elements that are so rare in games these days.

I'm talking about story branching, dialogue choices with good impact and consequences, romance stuff etc.. that a lot of people also wanted but unfortunately wasn't really there. Instead we got a linear story about Johnny (who wasn't even meant to be the main character) and to make matters worse for me personally, Johnny is played by a celebrity and no offence but I dislike celebrities in games, it for me ruins the immersion. Also, the company sneakily changed the game from being an RPG to now being an Action Adventure title.

I really wish they stuck to their original idea or at least tell fans about the changes so I could save myself the trouble of purchasing the game. Yes, Cyberpunk 2077 still has potential and I love the soundtrack to it but I doubt it will ever be the game I was hoping for especially with Johnny forever in your face.

So yes, Cyberpunk 2077 was the most disappointing game of last year and due to that I will probably never purchase a game from CDPR again.

Thankfully we still have companies like Larian Studios who unlike some know how to make good RPG titles still. In fact once my new Laptop arrives I'm out of here, as then I'll be able to play a proper RPG game with actual story branching and romance. I also heard that new content will be arriving shortly to the game too, maybe it was meant to be ha!
Anyway, that is also where my support from now on will be going.

Besides lying to your fans CDPR just means you are greedy and do not respect them, thus you don't need my support anyway.

Thankfully we still have companies like Larian Studios who unlike some know how to make good RPG titles still. In fact once my new Laptop arrives I'm out of here, as then I'll be able to play a proper RPG game with actual story branching and romance. I also heard that new content will be arriving shortly to the game too, maybe it was meant to be ha!
Anyway, that is also where my support from now on will be going.
Oh yes. Baldur's Gate 3, even in early access is phenomenal. It reminds me so much of Dragon Age Origins. I can't wait to Larian finishes it. And Divinity Original Sin 2 was a masterpiece of an RPG. Great studio, with great games.

YES... but there is always a BUT in these things.. The only reason this game is disappointing is because they hyped it through the roof.. and im not talking about gamers... this was the whole CD project team..every trailer showed something that was not in the game.. the whole demo was just some scripted thing and everything that was spoken there was not in the game.. That is why and i think they just pushed this game out to make money for the multiplayer.. i enjoyed this game but this game if you actually have little knowing of software engineering almost every system has bugs or is broken in some way... AI is just.. ok the point was that if this game wasnt hyped it wouldnt be disappointment to probably 90% of the people.

I have been playing Computer Games for long enough to know that you need to ignore Publisher Hype. Fact is that Witcher 3 also got hyped through the roof, which is why I waited a few years to buy it-this allowed me to experience the game free of the hype, & it was amazing, but probably not the standard they hyped it up to.

Writes the mod... ;)

Still, forget marketing, what about all the half realized, broken game systems, other, cheaper games nailed down years and years ago? I really don't get like people can look at, say, the AI, the stealth, the itemization or perk systems and say: Wow, yea, that's great stuff!

So what if I'm a mod? Being a mod doesn't mean I cannot have my own opinion about the game or that I cannot voice it. I'm not CDPR's employee.

And the thread is "Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most disappointing game of 2020", not "Which game systems/mechanics are bad in CP2077" so I'm not sure what's your point.

Yes.

Even if it is your absolute favorite game of all time, name one highly anticipated AAA title that had a worse release in 2020.

Watch Dogs Legion, Marvels Avengers (in spite of a public Beta).

It's tied with TLoU2. Both games were huge disappointments. I didn't hype myself up for this game at all. I thought at the very least we'll get as much as we got out of the Witcher 3. But this game fails at even meeting that goal. The Witcher is superior in just about every way. The game is still enjoyable, but it was a disappointment.

Come on, tell me-aside from the Gwent Mini-game, what did Witcher 3 have-AT LAUNCH-that Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't have at launch? It has a beautiful, immersive environment; a solid combat system; side-missions as good as the main story; a better progression system than Witcher 3; similar item customization to Witcher 3; it has a Stash (Witcher 2 & 3 didn't get them until later patches); lots of mini-games of similar scope to those of Witcher 3 (Racing & Boxing). Again, I say that people tend to look at Witcher 3 through rose-tinted glasses, which causes them to unfavorably-& unfairly-compare this game to that one. I also know, from my research, that Witcher 3 on PC launched with a plethora of bugs & other issues.

Or ever. Contrasting expectation based on what was sold vs what was delivered.

Easy, Anthem. Still not heard anything about Anthem 2.0. They literally put together a tech demo, & tried to sell it as a vertical slice of a game they were developing. Consumate BS artists since Mass Effect 3, but people keep letting Bioware & EA get away with it. Meanwhile, CDPR makes one screw up, & everyone is prepared to throw them to the wolves over it.

Last edited:
Easy, Anthem. Still not heard anything about Anthem 2.0. They literally put together a tech demo, & tried to sell it as a vertical slice of a game they were developing. Consumate BS artists since Mass Effect 3, but people keep letting Bioware & EA get away with it. Meanwhile, CDPR makes one screw up, & everyone is prepared to throw them to the wolves over it.
Personally I don't consider lying and misleading your customers and investors for years to be a screw up and though Anthem was certainly horrible, it was not on this scale as I don't remember BioWare/EA being sued or the game ever being removed from entire digital store platforms or big box stores offering refunds even for opened items...we all have different standards though I guess. :shrug:

It may have created the most "distributed disappointment" purely because of how many people were expecting it to be a masterpiece, but when it comes to individual disappointment I think there are plenty of other games where the difference between what was expected and what was delivered was greater.

So what if I'm a mod? Being a mod doesn't mean I cannot have my own opinion about the game or that I cannot voice it. I'm not CDPR's employee.
Yea yea, forget I said anything... :rolleyes:
And the thread is "Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most disappointing game of 2020", not "Which game systems/mechanics are bad in CP2077" so I'm not sure what's your point.
Even if I factor out marketing and hype (yea, good luck with that), If I'm buying a game in 2020, which, in the end doesn't even measure up to games from the early 2000*s - let alone other, similar games that came out this year - in almost every aspect besides graphics and, maybe, story? Yea, that makes it "the biggest disappointment of the year"... but hey, there appears be a considerable number of people that are able to mentally divorce how well designed/functional the basics of a game are from it's contents... or have a very advanced ability to talk themselves into a delusion, whatever works... I'm just not one of them.

CP2077 is pretty good open-world action RPG game. But it disappointed me because there are no big improvements on RPG elements. It was like i was playing the Witcher 3 in Cyberpunk universe.(ofc, there are so many improvements on the other things but my expectations were for RPG.)

Writes the mod... ;)

I actually agree with the mod. My experience as well. I just knew what to expect and marketing had little effect on me. Doesn't excuse blatant lies by CDPR, but I knew the strengths and weaknesses of them and had a good idea what kind of game CP77 will be long before marketing campaign was in full swing. I doubt many people praised CDPR for game design on any game they did. At best it was tolerable or "takes some time to get used to". But some stuff was further adjusted or remade after respective releases. So far mostly lighter stuff like interface. It seems to be the same here.

That being said, without a doubt, CP77 clearly needs more extra work than any other game of CDPR. I personally can't wait to know what January-February brings to us after they process the situation and figure out their strategy.

Guest 4520369

This game will be legendary once the dust settles. Rough launch, but a creative masterpiece by the developers. I have nothing but praise for those who created this game, I look forward to the future fixes and updates.

I think if you have problems playing/enjoying the game because of bugs, glitches or unfinished development, you have a legit problem with the game. It's obvious CP'77 needed to bake another 6 months. And it's obvious this should not have been released on last gen consoles yet.

Myself, I marvel at how complex the game world actually is and can't even fathom how they pulled off what they did - down to every nook and cranny it's mind-blowing. I've had my share of glitches on PC, but at 180 hours, I consider this one of my most fav games of all times - up there with RDR-2, GTA Online, Fallout 4, Death Stranding, and Days Gone just to name a few.

Does not mean it's perfect. God, there's so much that needs more tender loving care in this game - but it will come.

But then I look for the good in games and don't fixate on the bad to the point it ruins the game for me: I was driving my motorcycle through the night city one time and all the streets became transparent.. did I hop on the webs and bitch to the word and start a 'worst disappointment' poll? Na, I just restarted the game and continued on having a blast.

Again, not to minimize people that are having such trouble the game is broken - and CDP-R seems to be hunkering down to deliver fixes as fast as then can.

In my estimation your position is correct and perfectly valid and warbaby2's sentiment expressed with a winking face is also valid if I'm interpreting it correctly to mean something along the lines of "well you're affiliated/linked to CDPR as a figure of some authority where this discussion is taking place so of course you would vote no" etc.

But like I said, it's warbaby2's winking sentiment that is in my dime a dozen opinion that is also valid in as much as the feeling of Mods perceived closeness can result in creating a perceived bias in the minds of those on the outside. Essentially even though Mod's are not an employee of CDPR, Mod's still wear their uniform in many people minds. Whether or not that is fair is another topic I guess.

Top Bottom