Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most dissapointing game of 2020? POLL

+

Is Cyberpunk 2077 the most dissapointing game of 2020

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Cyberpunk 2077 was one of the most disappointing releases in gaming history "considering" its insane hype through the years of advertisements and comparing that with the reality we got especially when in CDPR first trailer they promised "coming : when its ready". Who expected that Cyberpunk 2077 would be released like this? no one.. anyone that says this game is a masterpiece are probably in denial loyal fans of CDPR and will defend them forever even if this game was released on 16th April " the first official release date announced by CDPR if it was released on that date the game would be 10 times worse then now, & there would still be people that would say ' this game is a masterpiece ".. I mean Cyberpunk is enjoyable in a limited way meaning if you only focus on story it can be "somewhat immersive" game" But the so called "immersive RPG open world interactive experience "without doing missions" there is just none of dat.. Right now people that say they love this game and its amazing with "ONLY bugs & performance issues" etc all say the same thing over & over.. them :" i just finished all main & side missions HAD A BLAST game of the year!! now i am gonna play as stealth quickhacker and do main story & side quests all over again & again" but none of them talk about " the " immersive open world RPG experience " of Cyberpunk 2077 because its non existent.
no one that says this game is a "masterpiece" talks about epic police chases, or any interactive experience in night city or epic stuff happening while roaming through night city... like the possibilities in night city is so vast and imaginable by the players but its just not there.. the only thing interactive in night city is literally few prostitutes with same cut scene & same room over & over, also killing gang npc's is a thing obviously but there is no gang system. i don't understand how people can be so in denial and have too lie to themselves by using the word " masterpiece " for this game.... it could have been a masterpiece at start " but it obviously isn't YET " but proofs seeing players lie to themselves means that the hype for Cyberpunk 2077 was unreal and so those who say "master piece" are tryharding too forget all things CDPR said through the past years of advertisements & gameplay footages & all of the cut content & the non exist of "immersive RPG openworld" lets hope for the future that Cyberpunk 2077 will have a epic comeback.. " i am a brutally honest person " specially when i was hyped and used my imagination of what i would do once cyberpunk was out " epic police chases buying houses/apartments customizing the houses/apartment, create gang and start conflict with other gangs. & vast immersive interactive 18+ experience in night city.. from brutally murdering too being the "hero" of night city " good & bad role play " yeah i love role playing in a realism immersive way with lots of interactive to do excluding missions.. :)

btw Last of us 2 was the most disappointing "story" wise game in gaming history..

i apologize for my basic English.. there will be lots of grammar mistakes or lines that might not make sense 😁👍

Last edited:
How can Cyberpunk 2077 be the most disappointing game of 2020 when the Last of Us 2 exists?
Because Neil Druckman made it clear that it would be a disappointment more than a year before release. A lot of people knew, or should have known, what to expect from it. I never even bought it after listening to the guy.

How can Cyberpunk 2077 be the most disappointing game of 2020 when the Last of Us 2 exists?
Ha! :)

But seriously, for people not following any gaming news and only the official marketing, then it's a close call. For anyone who's been following the industry then CP77 wins the "most disappointing title" award hands down. With the leaks and everything ND's been doing prior to launch day it's been clear there's something rotten about TLOU2.

About the only red flag for CP77 was the last post-gold delay, which was really odd. I mean, yeah, technically companies can and will work on the game after going gold... but to release a gold version THIS unfinished? :facepalm:

I m not happy with the huge mistakes and lies around CP and also : I m curious as to why I see no comments /excuses / attempts to make things "right" from CD PR management. Tons of people said what the problems are, tons of people saw the bugs and crashes and NO "We are sorry, we are working on it " from the bosses of the company. Or at least I could not find any official statements
This does not mean the game = total epic fail BUT it means what the psychology of the management is right now. And Im sorry for that...

As far as I know this is the only statement:

Since then: nothing. Just how they will defend themselves against the lawsuites.

It's not a bad game. But I expected more, it reminds me of Fallout 3, but CP2077 has more bugs, less history and lacks interactivity with the environment. Compete with a game from 12 years ago set in a nuclear wasteland ...

one of the many problems was the marketing campaign.
the night city wires were REALLY unnecessary. not completely out of touch, but certainly overselling the product, with that unacceptable "corpo" flavor. it couldn't see anything else than devs patting themselves in the back, which is never a good sign.
looking back, knowing what the game really is now, one word comes to my mind: "overconfidence". or in the worst case, "cover-up".

Last edited:
...and than there is the, by now more or less confirmed, late inclusion of Keanu Reeves into the project, and the subsequent shift in the game's focus away from a player centric story. Dunno, but that annoys me something fierce... I'll probably get over it eventually, but right now, I really have no intention of playing this game again anytime soon. It's just such a, blatant, corporate, marketing move, the game really shouldn't have needed...

If this game is an 80 on meta-critic, than every other game I've played this year is lower. The scope of Cyberpunk is huge compared to any other title of played and on my PC pretty awesome! It's very different than the game I was expecting to play, but that IMO is not very objective. I mainly play RPGs, as a result i am very de-sensitized to bugs in games, and am like meh, goes with the territory.

I don't expect too much from the next two updates. And it's high time people here and elsewhere start aligning their hopes and dreams for this game with the more likely reality given the gravity of CDPR's current situation.

Bug fixes and optimization, and pretty much nothing else content-wise. I suspect that as of right now, CDPR's primary focus is delivering the game to the console manufacturers in the playable state they contractually agreed upon, after which they'll turn their focus toward repairing the devastating reputational hit this game's launch has inflicted upon CDPR as a company. The focus will be largely on convincing Sony that this game is worthy of re-adding to their store so that sales may continue on their platform, even if CDPR never adds any new content with support for last gen consoles.

If and when that goal is achieved, THEN we might be able to expect more content related patches and updates. DLC and a multiplayer game? You can forget about those for the foreseeable future. It's more likely we'll see focus turn to the existing game mechanics. Things like NPC AI, character customization, and whatever other "top of list" items fans were led to believe they would find in this game but didn't.

Sorry if I burst anyone's bubble. But I just don't see all of that happening in much less than a year at best. It's a monumental task. And anyone thinking otherwise is only setting themselves up for further disappointment. It simply isn't realistic.

I know all the expectations and bugs and lost promises. None of that outweighs how good this game actually came out to be, it's not even close. If you're hung up on what you didn't get, maybe look at what was actually delivered. This game is a generational masterpiece. An easy rival to The Witcher 3, Skyrim, GTA5, Borderlands, and all the other games that came before it. These were also games that were a buggy mess at launch, every single one of them. A year from now, I hope some of you get over your expectations and can look back on this launch as a bright spot in a terrible year, and a shining star of the gaming industry for years to come.

115 hours played. Best game in a very long time.

I know all the expectations and bugs and lost promises. None of that outweighs how good this game actually came out to be, it's not even close. If you're hung up on what you didn't get, maybe look at what was actually delivered. This game is a generational masterpiece. An easy rival to The Witcher 3, Skyrim, GTA5, Borderlands, and all the other games that came before it. These were also games that were a buggy mess at launch, every single one of them. A year from now, I hope some of you get over your expectations and can look back on this launch as a bright spot in a terrible year, and a shining star of the gaming industry for years to come.

115 hours played. Best game in a very long time.
I wish I could. And while as a first experience the game was fun, it has no replayability, and the more you look into the gameplay and story you quickly realise why that bad aftertaste was left in your mouth after completing it.

The game is not bad. The poll is not about the game being bad, but it is a massive dissapointment and in the grand scheme of things it's a rather mediocre game.

Expectation vs reality, this game was definitely a massive let down. And I find it rather interesting that the % are so close. Shows how dividing this game is. It's an okay game, but one that I wouldn't have cared about in the first place if it wasn't advertised as the next gen RPG experience.

At the end of the day, this game is the kind that I usually just watch a story playthrough of on youtube and call it a day.

Action games I played in 2020:
- Doom Eternal (was hell lot of fun, absolutely was not dissapointed)
- Borderlands 3 (was really fun, love that series, was not disappointed)
- Cyberpunk2077 ( was really fun to play first ~25h, but as far I went further as more emptified I felt, as more game quallity issues I observed all around. After the game, I was 40% disappointed, and 60% satisfied with what I got. In two words, It could be much better).

I like how I'm disappointed because "You looked forward to it!" or "You shouldn't have let your self get hyped!"

I am so sorry that those that was taking CDPR at their word, got so hyped or looked forward to a game from the studio that made The Witcher 3. They told us "Think nothing less than The Witcher 3 when it comes to story side quest and choices that matter." "Choices that impact the world around you." "The most innovated immersive open world ever created." Showed countless ads and Night City Wires that said one thing and gave us another.

The point being a gamer should never have to worry about if a studio is lying or not. Will deliver what they promised or not. Just because many studios and companies are doing just that, lying for the sake of sales. CDPR said themselves "We leave greed to others"

If a studio/company lies and deceives their fan base you bet your cyberware that they should be called out for it. If we do not, they will just think it is ok to lie and to deceive their fan base. Cause it doesn't matter they will buy anything and defend us while doing it.

SO yea I'm disappointed...

I find it rather interesting that the % are so close.

This poll is nowhere near representative of the reality and magnitude of the situation.

Because it only accounts for the split between members of this forum who like or dislike the game for a variety of reasons, and at widely varying levels of magnitude. Overall, when you pan out to the countless reviews of the game beyond this forum (irrespective of which ones you agree or disagree with), the numbers tilt drastically in the other direction, with this being described widely as the worst release of a next gen game in history, far more than it's being praised.

I get that diehard fans want to defend and praise the game that was delivered to them. But in the widely panned out reality, that simply isn't true for the actual majority of people who bought the game and will never even post their feelings here.

This poll is nowhere near representative of the reality and magnitude of the situation.

Because it only accounts for the split between members of this forum who like or dislike the game for a variety of reasons, and at widely varying levels of magnitude. Overall, when you pan out to the countless reviews of the game beyond this forum (irrespective of which ones you agree or disagree with), the numbers tilt drastically in the other direction, with this being described widely as the worst release of a next gen game in history, far more than it's being praised.

I get that diehard fans want to defend and praise the game that was delivered to them. But in the widely panned out reality, that simply isn't true for the actual majority of people who bought the game and will never even post their feelings here.
I used to be a die hard fan of CDPR up until the release of CP77.
I even did my best to "forgive" them the idiotic PR stunts and cheap marketing tactics. But after playing through the game, my pink tinted glasses shattered.
I personally want an outrage to happen so the company get a wake up call and revert back to their own original principals. (Funny how the game wants to lecture me about principals)

And I want the outrage to matter so not only the company becomes as trust worthy as they used to be, but even better themselves. Treat their own devs better and create a space where creativity can thrive. Because if things are true about how devs are being treated, then CDPR is not a place to thrive in.

before CP2077 release i could cut throat anyone who dared to say anything negative about CDPR, with Witcher series being a incredible games, with quotes from CDPR being with gamers and against greedy corporations, i thought CDPR was the company that would keep in line other big shots and eventually more companies will follow CDPR's footsteps. But after i played CP2077 i see almost no difference between any big corps and this. Now i cannot defend this with straight face like i could before. Wish i could go back and delete all my replies from years defending and praising this company i was a fool, but lesson learned.

But after playing through the game, my pink tinted glasses shattered.

And this will happen more and more as time goes on, as even the most diehard fans begin to realize that all they're getting is bug fixes and optimization in every patch, and begin to sour on the game.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't expect much more than bug fixes and optimizations so they can get the game back on Sony's store. And then, Sony and Microsoft are both likely to want a complete renegotiation of their original contracts given the scope of complaints with the game outside of the bug and performance issues.

At this point I'm pretty resolved in my expectations going forward. And in the near term, they aren't very high.

TLOU 1 was about survival and joel rediscovering his will to live through ellie with alot of great characters and near flawless pacing ,TLOU 2 was an extremely generic "Revenge is bad" story

Here's the brutal truth about The Last Of Us Games - the first had a trope ridden cliched 'old warrior learns more about life from child than child learns from old warrior' story that was on a Kung fu Panda level of storytelling. It was trite melodrama but it was delivered well and very entertaining.

TLOU2 tried to go all Classical Tragedy on us and go from melodrama to high drama, by attempting to deeply conflict the player, but the reaction tells us one thing - KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. It's like trying to sell literary fiction to comic book readers, and it didn't work with anybody but the critics (who fucking loved it).

And this will happen more and more as time goes on, as even the most diehard fans begin to realize that all they're getting is bug fixes and optimization in every patch, and begin to sour on the game.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't expect much more than bug fixes and optimizations so they can get the game back on Sony's store. And then, Sony and Microsoft are both likely to want a complete renegotiation of their original contracts given the scope of complaints with the game outside of the bug and performance issues.

At this point I'm pretty resolved in my expectations going forward. And in the near term, they aren't very high.

I personally think they should dump both Microsoft Sony and consoles. PC out sells consoles regularly ( the combined sales of both Sony and Microsoft consoles was only 40% of total sales both W3 and CP

(2) Should CDPR return to be a PC-only company | Forums - CD PROJEKT RED

Cyberpunk 2077 breaks records to become fastest selling PC game ever | Metro News

New statistics from CD Projekt reveal more than half of Cyberpunk 2077’s pre-orders were on PC, with 74% of all sales being digital copies.

Despite all the criticisms and controversies that surrounded it before launch, Cyberpunk 2077 was still expected to be one of the biggest game releases of 2020.

And now, only a day after said release, CD Projekt’s investor relations Twitter account has shared some stunning data concerning its launch.

Not only did pre-orders for the game reach 8 million, CD Projekt states that 59% of those pre-orders were for the PC version.

pic.twitter.com/PB1Bqqaw1i
— CD PROJEKT IR (@CDPROJEKTRED_IR) December 10, 2020
This means 4.72 million PC copies were ready to go at launch, making it the fastest selling game on PC ever.

The previous record holder was World Of Warcraft: Shadowlands, the newest expansion for Blizzard’s MMO, which only set the record less than a week ago with 3.7 million copies sold at launch, according to GamesIndustry.biz.

As for the physical/digital split, 74% of units sold were digital, possibly because most players wanted to be able to play the game immediately, rather than wait for a physical copy to arrive in the post.

We don't know that about Cyberpunk but here is some info about W3

"Another interesting takeaway is that when Witcher 3 was first released the Playstation 4 led the pack in terms of sales with 48% of them (compared to 31% on the PC and 20% on Xbox One). In 2019 the PC is the dominant platform with 53% of the sales and PS4 with 26%. Xbox One has 10% while the Switch has 1%. "

SOURCE

Consoles ( P4 and Xbox combined) only led for the first 2 years the next 3 years PC dominated the combined sales of all consoles together as the sales ratio show

Last edited:
Top Bottom