Is Cyberpunk colour managed?

+
Properly techie question but I have a high gamut monitor (not an HDR monitor) which does not operate in the sRGB colour space unless I tell it to.

Does anyone know if Cyberpunk is colour managed so it will obey the colour profile for my monitor? I find it really hard to tell because when I set my screen to sRGB the game looks very washed out, but that may be by design.

Even techier question. If it IS fully colour managed, what colour space does it apply to photo mode pictures because the output doesn't seem to incorporate a colour profile.

Thank you!

Honestly, I don't know anything about it :(
But for the washed out side, I'm not sure it's because of the game.
Few sreenshots taken by AikoHayashi and LeonidLoren with certainly max settings on PC.

Edit :
I don't pay attention it was you.
Sorry, my post is useless except for see good picts :(

Last edited:
Few sreenshots taken by AikoHayashi and LeonidLoren with certainly max settings on PC.

Edit :
They're nice pictures though :)

Colour management is a bit of a rarefied topic so I'm not expecting an answer. It looks very nice in full gamut (the colour range of my screen) even if it's not supposed to be full gamut!

Not sure if this helps but (I think) I've noticed a difference between 8 bit and 10 bit especially on red colors. The monitor is a LG 27GN950. Scaling is performed by GPU.

Not sure if this helps but (I think) I've noticed a difference between 8 bit and 10 bit especially on red colors. The monitor is a LG 27GN950. Scaling is performed by GPU.
Not quite the same point but it is in the right colour / display setting techie insanity ballpark so appreciate it nonetheless!!!

Colour management, at least in this case, has to do with monitors that have been calibrated to a certain level of output. The computer then loads the colour profile that's been created through that calibration to display colours correctly on the monitor. But some apps don't actually use the profile and at that point, if your screen has very different characteristics from a normal screen, things can get seriously weird.

Basically, it's great for high end graphics applications which support it, but can turn things crazy for things like games which normally don't. I think CP might actually have it but not sure (I played it for several months and it looked gorgeous rather than like my screen was on an acid trip before it even occurred to me to check), and definitely not sure what's happening with the photo mode's screenshots.

Not quite the same point but it is in the right colour / display setting techie insanity ballpark so appreciate it nonetheless!!!

Colour management, at least in this case, has to do with monitors that have been calibrated to a certain level of output. The computer then loads the colour profile that's been created through that calibration to display colours correctly on the monitor. But some apps don't actually use the profile and at that point, if your screen has very different characteristics from a normal screen, things can get seriously weird.

Basically, it's great for high end graphics applications which support it, but can turn things crazy for things like games which normally don't. I think CP might actually have it but not sure (I played it for several months and it looked gorgeous rather than like my screen was on an acid trip before it even occurred to me to check), and definitely not sure what's happening with the photo mode's screenshots.
Wouldn't that mean that if you choose one area in the game and ten people who all have a different monitor / color profile, but they all use the same in-game settings including gamma, when they take a screenshot, the outcome is that if you view all photos on one of their monitors then they will all look different?

Wouldn't that mean that if you choose one area in the game and ten people who all have a different monitor / color profile, but they all use the same in-game settings including gamma, when they take a screenshot, the outcome is that if you view all photos on one of their monitors then they will all look different?
Not necessarily that's what I'm trying to work out. I think/assume they (the screenshots) are sRGB for the very reason you mention (a standard colour space), but having noticed differences between in game display and screenshot display I'm now slightly baffled over which one is right. It suggests I've been playing it two months at twice the saturation it's supposed to be and I now refuse to go back. :-D

Last edited:
Not necessarily that's what I'm trying to work out. I think/assume they (the screenshots) are sRGB for the very reason you mention (a standard colour space), but having noticed differences between in game display and screenshot display I'm now slightly baffled over which one is right. It suggests I've been playing it two months at twice the saturation it's supposed to be and I now refuse to go back. :-D
Totally unnecessary in this thread, but it makes me think the same for my screenshots. The game looks better on my TV than on the screenshots displayed on my Mac (more contrast, more colorful,...). I've always wondered why... But it's simply because my TV that automatically adjusts when switching to "game" mode. While captures are created from what the console "send" before processing.
Sorry, if it's stupid what I'm saying :(

Edit :
My photos look almost like the environment outside photo mode. I usually add some contrast (not more than 10 depending on the picture) and that is all. I've seen the photos only on my screen, so I have no idea how they look on other screens :) The PC I use now is only with Nvidia GeForce 1060, ultra settings, but it cannot get the maximum of the beauty in the game :)
Post automatically merged:

Totally unnecessary in this thread, but it makes me think the same for my screenshots. The game looks better on my TV than on the screenshots displayed on my Mac (more contrast, more colorful,...). I've always wondered why... But it's simply because my TV that automatically adjusts when switching to "game" mode. While captures are created from what the console "send" before processing.
Sorry, if it's stupid what I'm saying :(
Not sure about the settings for photo mode on the CP version on XBOX, but try to increase the contrast if the option is available.

Not sure about the settings for photo mode on the CP version on XBOX, but try to increase the contrast if the option is available.
In fact the problem (who it's not really a problem), it's because it's my TV who adjust all the image settings (in "Game" mode, same for "Cinema" mode). I never touch the settings on my XBox. So when I take a screenshot, it look good because I take it on my TV. It's after transfering it on my Mac, it's not so good.

Ideally, I would have to deactivate the "Game" mode of my TV and redo all the HDR settings from my Xbox (but honestly I'm lazy. I would do it when the next-gen patch will be released). Even doing that, my screenshots wouldn't look as good as yours anyway :)

i think, CP2077 like all other games uses "only" the sRGB-Color-Space.
Main rerason beside the fact, that all known PC-Games does the same is especially in CP2077:
The Game was developed to run also on Consoles (PS, XBOX,...) which are mostly connected to TV-Sets. TV-Displays are commonly NOT intended to handle specific "extended" colorspaces, most of them dont even manage properly the "little" sRGB-Space.

When You use a Wide-Gamut-Display also for Gaming (as i does for rmany years, in my case a Soft-Proof-capable Display from NEC with >100% adobe-RGB) the only color-based "issue" should be a slightly "Oversaturation" of non-colormanaged Software like most of all Games. The main-issue with this certain Display was the very slow switching speed /refresh-Rate of the Wide-Gamut-IPS-Panel especially in darker pictures...but the colours where always bright and (over-)saturated. This Wide-Gamut NEC-Monitor was designed for display "still pictures" within a decent picture-processing-Workflow (e.g. for digital-Photographers) and not intended for displaying (fast-)moving Pictures like in (Action-)Games...

Main rerason beside the fact, that all known PC-Games does the same is especially in CP2077:
The Game was developed to run also on Consoles (PS, XBOX,...) which are mostly connected to TV-Sets. TV-Displays are commonly NOT intended to handle specific "extended" colorspaces, most of them dont even manage properly the "little" sRGB-Space.

When You use a Wide-Gamut-Display also for Gaming (as i does for rmany years, in my case a Soft-Proof-capable Display from NEC with >100% adobe-RGB) the only color-based "issue" should be a slightly "Oversaturation" of non-colormanaged Software like most of all Games. The main-issue with this certain Display was the very slow switching speed /refresh-Rate of the Wide-Gamut-IPS-Panel especially in darker pictures...but the colours where always bright and (over-)saturated. This Wide-Gamut NEC-Monitor was designed for display "still pictures" within a decent picture-processing-Workflow (e.g. for digital-Photographers) and not intended for displaying (fast-)moving Pictures like in (Action-)Games..

When You use a Wide-Gamut-Display also for Gaming (as i does for rmany years, in my case a Soft-Proof-capable Display from NEC with >100% adobe-RGB) the only color-based "issue" should be a slightly "Oversaturation" of non-colormanaged Software like most of all Games. The main-issue with this certain Display was the very slow switching speed /refresh-Rate of the Wide-Gamut-IPS-Panel especially in darker pictures...but the colours where always bright and (over-)saturated. This Wide-Gamut NEC-Monitor was designed for display "still pictures" within a decent picture-processing-Workflow (e.g. for digital-Photographers) and not intended for displaying (fast-)moving Pictures like in (Action-)Games...
sRGB would be my normal assumption, yes, in that that is the default target space for how colours are output.

If you take a game like Witcher 3, without shifting the monitor into a reduced gamut mode like sRGB, everything will look wrong (skin goes violently oversaturated, fire goes dayglo colours). That will depend on the gamut of the monitor in question, obviously. What's interesting with Cyberpunk is that it *doesn't* look wrong run in the monitor's full (calibrated) colour space, suggesting either that colour management is being respected or that the game is heavily desaturated natively (which seems unlikely).

I'll continue fiddling around to try to work it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom