Is devotion worth its cost?

+

Is devotion worth its cost?

• Yes

• No

• Only with certain archetypes

Results are only viewable after voting.
As the title suggests, I'm looking for opinions on the worth of devotion, and if it actually helps, or is a hindrance.

My only experiment with devotion so far is limited to MO, specifically the WH archetype, where the devotion cards are the evolving Auberon, and the Conquerors.

The Conquerors require devotion or they will self destruct, Auberon requires devotion for the 3rd evolution (but the only difference between 2nd and 3rd stage is a +1 to WH cards played after Auberon.)

Personally I've found devotion isn't really necessary with this archetype. Sure it's nice to have the high value, low provision, veiled Conquerors (except when playing NG since they can be KO'd for having a veil status), but I feel it's too much of a sacrifice in other areas. I have gotten more use out of Eredin's frost damage boost by forgoing devotion to play the neutral frost cards and neutral row movements cards to keep units in frost areas, than I have playing the Conquerors, as one example. Auberon's +1 for devotion doesn't seem to be strong enough to make me lean into devotion wholeheartedly either.

What is your take?

Guest 4404014

SK & NG - broken, totally worth it, Tier 0 decks

SY - worth it, SY doesn't need neutrals

ST - worth it but doesn't matter cuz the whole deck - though super fun - kinda sucks right now competitively

MO - not worth it imo, the veiled 7 for 4 is massive but top MO plays depend to much on the draw imo

NR - not worth it outside Belohun decks

veiled Conquerors (except when playing NG since they can be KO'd for having a veil status)

If someone wastes a Vincent on a 4 provision card, you should be happy getting such opponents.

I think devotion is not worth it in any deck. Close, but still not there.
1. There are neutral cards that make much more impact than those couple of cards with devotion.
2. With devotion you need to have specific other cards in hand to get most of this ability.
3. And since it's almost always coming to which cards you have in round 3, proportionally by impact it's more important to have stronger cards rather than those with devotion.

P.S. While it may not be worth it, it is certainly fun to rethink the decks and play with devotion. Also, there are new contracts for devotion with minor rewards.

Last edited:
Dont' know bout the other Factions but for MO I think the devotion part isn't that great as i agree with the arguments presented above.
Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it ain't fun but there are a lot of other card combos one can do and get better value.
I'm not a player that plays ranked atm cause i wanna perfect some decks from all the factions before i start playing anything other than MO even so, i can tell that the Devotion cards on the WH cards aren't that great, no complaints though i enjoy em in unranked.
I threw in Caranthir with The Beast
and it feels like a point producing machine, snow all over the enemy side and Domination and max DMG output on my side... feels good mon ! :cool:

Guest 4368268

I love the concept of it. Even if it's not strong enough across all factions now they can always keep building on it.
I hope the cool mechanics introduced with this expansion won't get neglected moving forward.
I'm playing mostly seasonal atm, but from what I've heard SK Greatswords is running rampant. With that in mind I'd say you're better off including some neutral tall punish as I don't see you simply outpoint them with whatever devotion strategy you've got going on.

My main criticism of devotion would be that some factions have access to faction-specific tech options (purify and tall removal) while others don‘t. I have been tinkering with a NR devotion deck and there are very few ways to immediately deal with a defender as there is no faction specific Offensive purify available. Thats a huge issue and made me drop that deck again fairly fast.
I haven‘t played the other factions much yet, so can‘t say if the devotion requirement offsets the disadvantage there.

Top Bottom