Is Geralt the "Bad" guy?

+
Is Geralt the "Bad" guy?

-isnt the stuff the king of the hunt say was real? like am the reason for all the bad things happening from my choices and such?-didnt the grandmaster (alvin?) REALLY tried saving and sheltering all those people from what he saw in the future which is supposed not to be fake? yet i destroyed him?

- The Witcher is not black or white, it's grey. Geralt often choose the lesser evil because there's no good choice at all, like in Act 1: kill the witch or kill the peasants. Aren't you the reason for bad things happening from your choices in real life? Choices might be good but you can't forsee all consequences.- We don't know if the prophecy is true but we know that GM was experimenting on people, killing innocents, working with crime organisation. Yet again, lesser evil was chosen.

WildEast said:
-isnt the stuff the king of the hunt say was real? like am the reason for all the bad things happening from my choices and such?
Do *not* belive what the King of the Wild Hunt says. He *really* wants to get his hands on Alvin's soul and will therefore lie to you. Simply analyse what he says. Was it *Geralt's* fault that the Salamanders attacked Kaer Morhen? No, it may have been fate, but not his fault. Did *Geralt* attack the villagers in the Outskirts? No, they attacked him, and he had to defend himself. And so on.
WildEast said:
-didnt the grandmaster (alvin?) REALLY tried saving and sheltering all those people from what he saw in the future which is supposed not to be fake? yet i destroyed him?
Even if his vision was true, the methods he used to prevent the future he saw were greatly immoral.

Listen to what The King of the Wild Hunt says. You were there -- is is portraying events accurately?He's lying. He's been trying to demoralize Geralt -- just like he tried in the basement of the church during Chapter 1. He was lying then, and he's lying now. The real Leo would have known that he brought about his own death by trying to flank the Professor, but The King of the Wild Hunt makes a specter that looks like Leo say that Geralt got him killed. Geralt did no such thing, even tried to stop Leo from doing the stupid thing he did.Everywhere Geralt went, he tried to solve problems and help people. The KofWH twists everything Geralt does to make it seem as bad as possible. He doesn't just do that when he's trying to get his hands on the Grandmaster's soul but also earlier in the game, in Chapter 1.Why? We don't know for sure. I'm hoping that The Witcher 2 will clear this up -- WHY is The King of the Wild Hunt trying to demoralize Geralt?My personal guess is that he's trying to make Geralt sad enough to give up, so that he'll stop living his extra life and go back to being dead. Which implies that whoever raised Geralt from the dead was able to do so over the objections of TKofWH. But that's just a guess!

Corylea said:
Why? We don't know for sure. I'm hoping that The Witcher 2 will clear this up -- WHY is The King of the Wild Hunt trying to demoralize Geralt?
Since we're firmly in the spoiler forum...[moderator]Massive spoilers from books[/moderator]
The King of the Wild Hunt is actually Eredin, an Elf of the Aen Elle people from a paralell world, he only appears as a ghastly spectre in this world. The whole Witcher Saga revolves around Aen Elle trying to get their hands on Ciri, an individual with Hen Ichaer. The game gives us Alvin de Aldersberg, *another* individual with Hen Ichaer, and Ciri managed to evade the Elves. So Eredin wants Geralt to become his pawn from the very beggining, hence his appearence in Act I.

gorthuar said:
Since we're firmly in the spoiler forum... [moderator]Massive spoilers from books[/moderator]
The King of the Wild Hunt is actually Eredin, an Elf of the Aen Elle people from a paralell world, he only appears as a ghastly spectre in this world. The whole Witcher Saga revolves around Aen Elle trying to get their hands on Ciri, an individual with Hen Ichaer. The game gives us Alvin de Aldersberg, *another* individual with Hen Ichaer, and Ciri managed to evade the Elves. So Eredin wants Geralt to become his pawn from the very beggining, hence his appearence in Act I.
Thanks for that information! That's fascinating.

You're welcome :)To clear everything up: [moderator]Massive spoilers from books[/moderator]
the Aen Elle were happy invading and conquering paralell worlds until most of them lost the ability to jump between worlds. At this point the Aen Seidhe, that is those Elves that became trapped in the Witcher World, started their genetic program that ulitmately resulted in Lara Dorren, Ciri and Alvin. Their goal was to regain the ability to travel between worlds, reunite with the Aen Elle and resume the conquest of the multiverse. And to escape the impending White Frost.

Is Geralt a bad guy well that is a interesting question Being that a lot of us put a bit of our self's into this kind of playing one would have to ask them self are they bad persoin? For the most part the answer would be No we live our day to day life trying to do the right thing just like Geralt dose even tho the world he lives is not always a friendly place.and just like real life which I think can be over rated at times LOL.we run into grey lines in life and we try to our best Just like Geralt.That just my 2cents

I try to avoid taking what an obviously evil spirit tells me at face value on principle. ;) Spoilers aside of coarse.I see where the OP is coming from though. Every action Geralt takes causes harm to someone undeserving of it. Here is the thing though. The more powerful you are, and the more influence on events you have, the greater the consequences of your actions. This tends to magnify any evil that results in the game as being Geralt's fault. The slaughter in Vizima would have happened whether Geralt was there or not. The outskirts would have burned whether Geralt was there or not. Fact is, despite his power, Geralt only had a minimal influence over events. the biggest IMHO being whether Adda lives or dies. Witchers are not supposed to get involved. It was simply unavoidable and actions or even lack of action, has consequence. If you take into account Geralt's goal of keeping very dangerous secrets from getting into the wrong hands, the actions taken in game can be easily justified. the Witcher's secrets are kind of like the games world's version of nukes. Really really bad in the wrong hands.

Top Bottom