Is gold weather too powerfull, if so what should be done?

+
Is gold weather too powerfull, if so what should be done?

Drought and Rarh Nah Rock (I am so sorry) seem really strong. a little too strong. I know it was ptr and testing is null and void and don't matter. but if live happens with zero changes I think these two would get out of hand too fast.even with clear skies hitting every row these seem real good.

I am watching the YouTubers on the PTR and it feels like it needs a bit more balancing to me. Having said that, i honestly don't know 100% until I playtest with and against it.

There are some facts to take into account though:

-First Light now only clears a row.
-Gold Weather cards affect multiple rows.
-Weather effects can be applied by a variety of Bronze/Silver cards with power too.

If i am not missing something else here, questions arise:

-How much clearance can you afford to have in a deck?
-A Weather deck will be overwhelming against most deck archetypes?
-If Weather was to tick every 2 turns, would that make it obsolete in the next meta?

But i can't say or answer for sure, i need to playtest it myself to come to a solid conclusion about it. At the moment it feels like a minor improvement to it's previous state since now all "my" units won't immediately go to 1 power. At the same time i can't help but think that (again) feels hard to counter efficiently. Time will tell, we are here to provide feedback.

First Light now only clears a row. this need to be changed and golds weathers needs to be toned down.

-If Weather was to tick every 2 turns, would that make it obsolete in the next meta? bronze weather yes.

There are a few ways to make Drought less of an issue.
Making it fleeting (Eithne won't be able to play it again), hitting armour first, affecting only one row or one or more rows on both sides.
I honestly don't think it will make it to Wednesday in its current state.

cainite;n8572940 said:
There are a few ways to make Drought less of an issue.
Making it fleeting (Eithne won't be able to play it again), hitting armour first, affecting only one row or one or more rows on both sides.
I honestly don't think it will make it to Wednesday in its current state.

Eithne could not play gold specials, remember new wording - unless there is written it could affect gold, it always mean non-gold. Real problem is new Yaevinn that let you choose between random special and unit card from your deck and you could build deck where only two special will be two gold weather cards.

Let's see how things turn out. I mean we got armor and healer now. also, quen is pretty good now. But a weather immune card would be nice. They changed the frost potion. Maybe weather immune was a bit to OP. I mean you play Ragnarok and your opponent just smile at you because his strongest Card is weather immune and don't take damage at all

Isi23_23;n8573690 said:
Eithne could not play gold specials, remember new wording - unless there is written it could affect gold, it always mean non-gold. Real problem is new Yaevinn that let you choose between random special and unit card from your deck and you could build deck where only two special will be two gold weather cards.

Well, I've seen her do so several times in the PTR build. Not Drought per se, but Gold Specials nonetheless.
Maybe it's just a remnant bug...

And yeah... Yaevinn is really scary now...

PinkFloyd76;n8572300 said:
-First Light now only clears a row.

I dunno why they changed that. The way it works now, its almost impossible to clear all the rows when the opponent uses a card that paints all your board. Clear skies probably will came back on its older form one way or another.

Ptr patch first light now clear skies clear 3 rows, or rally clear a row and play a random bronze in the deck so now clear skies is insane.

SkyHeadCaptain;n8577490 said:
Ptr patch first light now clear skies clear 3 rows, or rally clear a row and play a random bronze in the deck so now clear skies is insane.

So bronze weather can set only 1 weather row, while First Light can clear 1 row and call bronze unit or clear 3 rows?

Okay folks, weather is officially dead.

EDIT: devs should just remove the gold weather cards and set first light back to clearing 1 row. Weather apart from Drought and Ragnarok were fine.

Last edited:
SkyHeadCaptain;n8577490 said:

Hah! I knew it!

kaalev;n8577560 said:
Okay folks, weather is officially dead.

Nah, weather still can be worth it because it ticks before you can clean it with FL. Imagine this scenario: opponent has 4 units on a row, you play blizzard; even if he cleans it out with rally, its a 4 point play for your blizzard on worst case scenario. Best case scenario (he doesnt have FL) the sky is the limit.

Laveley;n8577750 said:
Hah! I knew it!

Nah, weather still can be worth it because it ticks before you can clean it with FL. Imagine this scenario: opponent has 4 units on a row, you play blizzard; even if he cleans it out with rally, its a 4 point play for your blizzard on worst case scenario. Best case scenario (he doesnt have FL) the sky is the limit.

So in your case I've traded a weather card for 4 points, when enemy cleared weather AND got a bronze unit (usually worth 8 points) in play? That's a terrible trade. Rally clearing weather is complete bullcrap.

kaalev;n8578040 said:
So in your case I've traded a weather card for 4 points, when enemy cleared weather AND got a bronze unit (usually worth 8 points) in play? That's a terrible trade. Rally clearing weather is complete bullcrap.

No, you are trading a bronze card for 4 guaranteed points and potentially much more.

SkyHeadCaptain;n8578310 said:
there no is no point to not run first light so weather will be super weak,

So first you thought that weather would be too strong with Clear Skies only clearing one row; now you think weather is too weak with Clear Skies clearing all rows (or 1 row combo)?

Not everything is black and white. Anyhow, let's wait and see where this is leads to, first. Nothing is final.

quite a few ways to solve this issue:

- gold weather only affects one row, but cannot be cleared or overwritten
- gold weather affects all rows, can be cleared, but has a maximum damage of 6 each turn. IE, drought affects 6 random enemies, and ragnarok damages 3 random enemies by 2
- clear skies also prevents weather from being applied to a row (given that there are way more weather effects than clear skies, i believe it would be fair)

i'm sure ragnarok and drought will be heavily nerfed in the open beta patch - given how it's frustrating to play against weather - and will be gradually tweaked until they reach a good state

Gold weather is really the problem being the only specials that spawn weather on 3 rows. The constant threat of Drought now makes First Light an absolute autoinclude in every deck, which is by far the worst thing I've seen in Gwent. Top that with the over-complication of clear skies effect and it just seems a bit too much.
The Gold Weather cards are really the ones that need to be balanced, instead of having to balance the entire game around them.

The new changes to First Light are ridiculous as Bronze weather is now too weak to run. Yes, I know it will tick twice at least even if you clear it immediately, but even in a good case scenario of, say, Biting Frost doing 10 damage (2 ticks vs. 5 units), FL will both clear and spawn a random bronze unit. This is simply not worth it.

Rather than the constant flip-flopping on First Light, from being auto-include insanely powerful to being more niche and back again, it would make sense to just balance gold weather better. RnR is, in my opinion, not even really the problem compared to Drought, which is absolutely insane.

Guys, all of you are corrently in the PTR? If you aren't then you can't say if something is OP or not, because maybe ppl will do more decks that can counter it. Btw, how can we try the PTR?

Top Bottom