Is Gwent a pay to win game?

+
My guess is that is pay to win in the same manner HS is. Manipulation of matchmaking and draws for the benefit of a part of the players pool. Time will confirm.

Would be interesting to know how many f2p will be in this season in the first 1000, as in this current patch there is practically only very little room to counter an unfavorable RNG (imho, R to be read as rigged not random).

Before this patch there were several ways to counter a bad draw and win against all odds by luring or squeezing your opponent. Not anymore.

Stormbuster;n9547411 said:
Would be interesting to know how many f2p will be in this season in the first 1000, as in this current patch there is practically only very little room to counter an unfavorable RNG (imho, R to be read as rigged not random).

Even as f2p player you can easily have one more or less perfect deck during the first ~15 levels. Playing f2p won't stop you from playing successful and ranking up quickly.

It's most certainly a pay to win game, as soon as you see a "shop" in a multiplayer game, it's a dead giveaway lol exactly how mobile games work. My deck will not beat anyone who has just spent $100 on kegs, and it don't matter how 'random' the cards are.

_adstar_;n9550001 said:
It's most certainly a pay to win game, as soon as you see a "shop" in a multiplayer game, it's a dead giveaway lol exactly how mobile games work. My deck will not beat anyone who has just spent $100 on kegs, and it don't matter how 'random' the cards are.

Here we go again:

Gwent is a Free To Play Online Collectible Card Game (F2P CCG). As with (almost) every collectible card game, online or otherwise, one of the goals is to collect cards. You do this by buying booster packs. The F2P element is that you can get these booster packs when spending time instead of money. The fact that you can buy boosters and as such buy an advantage means the game is pay to win (P2W) in the strictest sense. However it's important to note that this applies to the whole F2P CCG genre. So it's pointless to argue whether or not Gwent is P2W. Instead you should compare the game with other CCG and ask how generous Gwent is. The conclusion is that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.

Also, comparing Gwent with mobile games that are simple cash grabs, is an insult to Gwent and a statement you know little about how things work. Besides, spending $100 on kegs does little for you because the epic cards are capped at 6 and the legendary cards are capped at 4 per deck. This means that a new account can almost instantly create a competitive (Tier 1) deck for FREE.

There are only three simple things you need to do:
1. Get level 3 to unlock milling (which is easy) and mill all unused cards.
2. Beat the challenges to get the leaders (still easy).
3. Copy a netdeck from the internet (also easy).

The above is but one way to go. The only two things that matter (to reiterate):
1. Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.
2. A new account can almost instantly create a competitive (Tier 1) deck for FREE.

Last edited:
devivre;n9549051 said:
Even as f2p player you can easily have one more or less perfect deck during the first ~15 levels. Playing f2p won't stop you from playing successful and ranking up quickly.

I have to fully agree with you. Correct. In fact, as the game looks like, all players are winning more or less the same amount of pixels on the screen. Some will have to spend more time than the others. The "win" from pay-to-win would in fact be pay-to-win-faster-same-rewards. The subjective factor of getting the victor's feeling more times than another player should not stand to define the game as a pure pay to win. But as a game supposed to be fun I think this latter factor is what matters in fact for an important part of players.

Guess that the question of being p2w or not, in the real sense, would interest more the players aiming for winning a share of the real money prizes, and not the regular players.

No gwent is not pay to win at all there are some nice budget decks and you can easily make meta decks with little play time. I have a full monsters collection a almost full skellige,nifleguard collection (Missing like 2 golds in each) And my scolitel is nice too still missing a chunk of there golds but still for playing for 2 months thats not so bad

GwentAcademy;n9553131 said:
No gwent is not pay to win at all there are some nice budget decks and you can easily make meta decks with little play time. I have a full monsters collection a almost full skellige,nifleguard collection (Missing like 2 golds in each) And my scolitel is nice too still missing a chunk of there golds but still for playing for 2 months thats not so bad

XD Nilfgaard i usually spell right just half asleep at the moment but not scoia'tael i have spelled that so many different ways. Names mostly for my youtube for deck guides and such not for proper pronunciation or spelling of classes. I mispronounce some of the cards too since i never played the witcher series but ive loved card games since i was a kid so gwent is really fun for me. One of my friends will get a kick out of your reply though since hes always laughing at me for my pronunciations

MikeTran0315;n3299492 said:
The same question is asked whenever there's a new card game. I don't see the difference between Gwent's business model compared to other card games, it's redundant at this point to ask. However I do agree with the fact that you should get something at the end of a game despise the result of the match.

I upvote this idea!

Guest 4021160

In my case gwent has become pay to lose. I payed and lost all interest for it. Also feel a bit cheated by how the game evolved. But hey. Life gives and takes away, right?

Short answer: no . long answer: I've collected a full deck with all the cards I wanted down to the last one without spending a penny in under a month. When you level up sometimes you get 7 kegs for it! Hearthstone,an actual pay to win, makes cards unusable once a season to attempt to make people buy more cards, and the expansions just recycle alot of old cards with new names. They also force players to keep using the same strategy s with no real variation. Also, in gwent you can mill unwanted cards at a very nice rate to get what you want, and as you collect more cards you can mill over 400 scraps from one level up. If anything its the least pay to win game I've ever seen, and it promotes a strategy of what cards to mill and aim for. You start buying basics with the scrap, then when u got those buy the silvers, then buy golds. You are also given some rares right at the start, something hearthstone does not do. I've gone from no cards to rank 18 and rising in under a month, and have 305/cards, with many many golds and silvers!

New player here (6 days). In my fairly limited experience Gwent is not p2w, on the contrary. The reward system is probably too liberal. You get thrown kegs in your face left and right. I have 336 cards and didn´t invest a single dime. If the pacing of the rewards slows down in the way I expect it (slower lvling, slower ranking), I will probably have all non-premium cards in about 4 to 6 weeks. Idk how much less p2w a CCG could possibly be...

Not at all. The starter decks are weak, but to craft better, more competitive decks, you have to play a lot of matches to earn free scraps, then use those to craft new cards. I have a few competitive decks and the only money I've paid is for the starter pack. If you want to get a good deck put together as quickly as possible, buy that only, then when you open your packs, select cards only from 1 faction. This way, you'll have enough cards under 1 faction to make a good deck.

As someone who just began playing last night, aside from playing gwent in-game, is it worth it to buy the starter pack? I began tinkering with my own deck, and so far I guess I'm going to keep playing northern. I tried the other decks, kept getting stomped by nilfgaard cards

Bookworm1987;n9661781 said:
As someone who just began playing last night, aside from playing gwent in-game, is it worth it to buy the starter pack? I began tinkering with my own deck, and so far I guess I'm going to keep playing northern. I tried the other decks, kept getting stomped by nilfgaard cards

I think it's a great offer, if you don't have most of the cards yet. And especially at the beginning a new gold card can be nice :)

devivre;n9661821 said:
I think it's a great offer, if you don't have most of the cards yet. And especially at the beginning a new gold card can be nice :)

I'll pick up the starter pack then :) RL Gwent is definitely different from gwent in-game.

Is it possible to mix cards in decks? Can you make a deck with northern realm/monsters or skelliege/nilfgaard?

I'm watching old Gwent tournaments right now. Those players are really really good!

Bookworm1987;n9661941 said:
Is it possible to mix cards in decks? Can you make a deck with northern realm/monsters or skelliege/nilfgaard?

You can only mix neutral cards with faction cards. You cannot use faction cards in other factions (because).

4RM3D;n9662001 said:
You can only mix neutral cards with faction cards. You cannot use faction cards in other factions (because).

Whelp that made my head hurt. Combos!

Hm. I suppose I'll stick with my northern realms deck. It seems to be the "easiest" to learn? Although the monsters deck looks interesting.

Bookworm1987;n9662031 said:
Hm. I suppose I'll stick with my northern realms deck. It seems to be the "easiest" to learn? Although the monsters deck looks interesting.

Personally I think NR is a good choice because it's very flexible and very straightforward.
And it's a very good faction to rank and level up quickly.

Top Bottom