Is Gwent a pay to win game?

+
Absolutely NOT pay-to-win.

You can have 100% of the cards from buying Kegs, you can have a top tier Net Deck with a 90% win rate, and if you suck at the game, you will lose 90% of the time. Playing the right card at the right moment, knowing the card synergies, a small amount of luck, knowing when to pass, understanding your opponents deck are all critical. I still think of Gwent as "make 1 misplay, lose game". I still do that myself, and my only comfort is knowing just how unforgiving this game is. You need to be good at it, not just throw money at it.

most important rule for life

nothing!!!! is for free

but gwent is the most generous card game ... you can advance very fast and compete without spending money

Ill be honest. Not a single card game is fully "omg, you are just as good on the second day as someone who paid"
However i played many cardgames (eternal, hearthstone, magic, a ton of chinese ones, shadowverse, elder scrolls legends, freaking yu-gi-oh for that matter XD) and so far Gwent is the most generous and easy to get set up with for a decent rank.
Aside from generous amount of cards you get/can get for free but also the fact that bluffing and synergy is still part of the game. You can have the starterdeck but outbluff someone so hard you win regardless

How is it pretty far away from Pay 2 Win? When you can spend real money to get packs, just like Magic.

I'm not going to say much about Magic since that isn't a game that I have played before.

I view Pay 2 Win as when a player can spend money to get an advantage over another player who has not spent money. This really is not a thing in Gwent. Even a new player who has spent nothing can scrape together a powerful (highest tier) deck and be on even footing with anyone else in the game. So how is that Pay 2 Win?

Other than thronebreaker I have never spent anything on this game and I have never fealt that players who have spent money have had any kind of advantage over me. All spending money does for you is give you the ability to play more decks.

I rather play a free to play game that has good strategy and not much rng

Gwent is Free to play and has good strategy.

RNG I admit it does have a fair amount which can be annoying at times. I wouldn't say it's game breaking though.

How is it pretty far away from Pay 2 Win? When you can spend real money to get packs, just like Magic.
I played Magic (hard copy version) and Gwent. Both require some investment. Gwent requites either time or money or combination of both to acquire cards. Magic requires the same but it alway requires some money. If you spend time hunting for bargains and transact with other players over time it’s significantly cheaper then trying to buy top tier deck in a local shop few days before a major tournament. But even in Magic you can buy a $1,000 deck (the best “Standard” format deck wouldn’t cost more) and you will loose a lot in a competitive play (even local Friday Magic Night) if you don’t have skill and heaps of practice. Same in Gwent but much cheaper.

It has nothing to do with pay to win IMO.

EDIT: There is no RNG in Magic except card draws and Matchmaking but Magic uses sideboards, which is big advantage over Gwent (in Gwent tournaments lack of sideboards is somewhat compensated by playing several factions/decks and one faction ban).

Last edited:
@StrykerxS77x @petr_klokan

Discussion moved to another thread.

Gwent is a Free To Play Online Collectible Card Game (F2P CCG). As with (almost) every collectible card game, online or otherwise, one of the goals is to collect cards. You do this by buying booster packs. The F2P element is that you can get these booster packs when spending time instead of money. The fact that you can buy boosters and as such buy an advantage means the game is pay to win (P2W) in the strictest sense. However, it's important to note that this applies to the whole F2P CCG genre. So it's pointless to argue whether or not Gwent is P2W. Instead you should compare the game with other CCG and ask how generous Gwent is. The conclusion is that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.

So, how can you earn rewards as a F2P player?
1. Daily quest
2. Daily tiers, by winning 6/12/24 rounds
3. GG rewards at the end of the match
4. A leveling system that gives you rewards and unique perks (which, in turn, offers you more rewards)
5. A monthly faction challenge offering extra rewards by completing quests
6. Playing ranked, even at lower ranked you'll receive some rewards at the end of the month
7. Daily login rewards (added in the latest patch).

How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering: Arena, for F2P players?
1. Smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. You cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Less frequent expansions with less cards (making it easier to keep up with the collection)
4. And, as noted in the previous paragraph, it's easier to earn rewards.

On a final note, for the sake of full disclosure, I have to mention that Gwent's economy did change when Gwent came out of beta. As a result, premium cards have become more difficult to obtain, but this doesn't affect the gameplay. No refunds for tweaked cards does have some impact, but it's still manageable.

Last edited:
1. Daily quest
4. A leveling system that gives you rewards and unique perks (which, in turn, offers you more rewards)
6. Playing ranked, even at lower ranked you'll receive some rewards at the end of the month

Don't forget the recent addition of daily login rewards.

Discussion moved to another thread.

Gwent is a Free To Play Online Collectible Card Game (F2P CCG). As with (almost) every collectible card game, online or otherwise, one of the goals is to collect cards. You do this by buying booster packs. The F2P element is that you can get these booster packs when spending time instead of money. The fact that you can buy boosters and as such buy an advantage means the game is pay to win (P2W) in the strictest sense. However, it's important to note that this applies to the whole F2P CCG genre. So it's pointless to argue whether or not Gwent is P2W. Instead you should compare the game with other CCG and ask how generous Gwent is. The conclusion is that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.

1. Daily quest
7. Daily login rewards (added in the latest patch).

How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering, for F2P players?
2. You cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Less frequent expansions with less cards (making it easier to keep up with the collection)

On a final note, for the sake of full disclosure, I have to mention that Gwent's economy did change when Gwent came out of beta. As a result, premium cards have become more difficult to obtain, but this doesn't affect the gameplay. No refunds for tweaked cards does have some impact, but it's still manageable.

On a side note, you can trade in Magic, and you can't in Gwent. I think that helps even out the field more, especially since it's more of a traditional collectible game. Cards you don't have, but need, you can trade for with others players, and even older cards from non-relevant sets, such as if it fits a particular collection you're trying to create. There were specific cards I went out of my way to obtain, despite having a bunch of them already, just because I really liked that card.

There is something to say about having physical things, too. Everything in Gwent is temporary, for however long the game lasts before CDPR decides to shut it down and we lose everything, as is typical for online only games. Physical products are forever, and have long lasting value. In the end, you can potentially make your money back in Magic, and that will most likely never happen in Gwent since it's tied to an account that has more on it, games and such, than just a bunch of worthless cards... assuming also that account isn't outright banned should they sell it online.

Last edited:
@Kaduos

You are right, if I was talking about MtG the physical version, but I was talking about Arena the digital counterpart, which doesn't have trading and is -well- digital.

I've edited my post to explicitly mention Arena (though I thought it was already implicitly made clear).

(though I thought it was already implicitly made clear).
Well you just said Magic the Gathering. I didn't know there was an "Arena" version of it, but there has been an MTG Online version for a very long time now, which does allow trading, and even allows converting digital cards to physical, or at least it did in the past. I haven't played it in close to 15 years now probably. I assumed you were talking about that.

Last edited:
How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering: Arena, for F2P players?

Rereading this post It appeared to me that there are two extra reasons which make this game very attractive for F2P and also relatively low grind.
1. Functional decks dont require duplicates and If they do (bronzes) they are easy to aquire.
2. There is no upgrade card system. The player gains immediate access to the whole potential of a card and which shortens the time to get to the point where the player experiences the games balance.
These are really great features there. Somebody made a lot thoughts about this game at the very beginning.

And cards are way cheaper to craft. In Hearthstone it would take ages to collect enough scraps/dust/I_forgot to craft a legendary card. In Gwent it usually takes a couple of days.

Rereading this post It appeared to me that there are two extra reasons which make this game very attractive for F2P and also relatively low grind.
1. Functional decks dont require duplicates and If they do (bronzes) they are easy to aquire.
2. There is no upgrade card system. The player gains immediate access to the whole potential of a card and which shortens the time to get to the point where the player experiences the games balance.
These are really great features there. Somebody made a lot thoughts about this game at the very beginning.

For your first point, that's basically an amalgamation of:

For your second point, what kind of upgrade system are you talking about? All the CCG I have played had a resource system for crafting cards and premium resources for making those cards premium.

The core purposes of F2P games are not designed for such people.

I believe you are incorrect as the current journey indicates and as per this image explaining the FTP business model as a whole
take a look at the last example listed. Exclusive is actually mentioned 2x.

Yes, but it's a lot less "exclusive" than in other games.

- FREE to play games are FREE to play BUT:
- even when these games are FREE to play, devs still need their payments SO:
- each such FREE to play game needs to attract a lot of users AND:
- if there is a lot of users then many of "exclusive" content become not so "exclusive" as in other games BECAUSE:
- in FREE to play games it's better to sell "small content in big quantities" than "big content a few times".

F2P game is quantity of users, not quality of them.
Quantity of players can generate income which quality of them can't even think of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom