Is Gwent a pay to win game?

+
Yes, but it's a lot less "exclusive" than in other games.

- FREE to play games are FREE to play BUT:
- even when these games are FREE to play, devs still need their payments SO:
- each such FREE to play game needs to attract a lot of users AND:
- if there is a lot of users then many of "exclusive" content become not so "exclusive" as in other games BECAUSE:
- in FREE to play games it's better to sell "small content in big quantities" than "big content a few times".

F2P game is quantity of users, not quality of them.
Quantity of players can generate income which quality of them can't even think of.

I disagree with your interpretation of the FTP business model as per my previous posts.

Here is my interpretation of what people of similar opinion as yours want

- You pay your fee for access then everyone gets a daily login reward and no one missing out on anything then everyone will buy the journey because hey for $12 I get all this free stuff without any effort. Look at all the sales they would make .

- except for "free players" who cant afford it and would rant that its not fair.
or

- You pay your fee and you only have finish 1 match per day . then people who finished the journey at any point > 100 are not left out happy and the ones who want a "contract after the event ends " don't need to worry about that.

The above is determined by what i have observed in rants.

- significant exclusive content for paying people not allowed

( p2w - not really an issue here but its still a very popular rant)

- significant exclusive content for players that spend a lot of time in game not allowed

(as per rants regarding the current journey)

- new players /free players / casuals /small payers having any sort of acquisition / collection /deck disadvantage not allowed

( as seen in the opposition to the pack change)

Conclusion

Someone who plays 10 games in a month should get the same Prize in a event as someone who plays 500 and that is considered fair .

as some have said You can just give the 500 game player a bunch of currency and well that is good enough for them

You must make collection acquisition as easy, efficient and rng free new players/ free players / everyone can make the most competitive decks quickly

If you have awesome prize you must make sure you give it to everyone in some manner or method even if the event has ended its not fair if you don't

IMO I disagree with that all.

Last edited:
All these rants come from players who are NOT the "free" one.

F2P players will not buy journey, so they will not complain about their troubles to get journey's rewards.

what about the rest of the post ? regarding the fact some players want everything and are not happy unless they get everything.
you one commented on one aspect of it.

why ? please explain how you came to that conclusion by reveracing my individual points and provide your own examples.
Example: if you build the house on wrong type of foundation it will not be a good house. Do I need to say more?

My point: F2P game needs the big base of players to earn money. To keep players playing the game they need to have EASY and CHEAP (in terms of money or time) access to all features.

Your point: you want an exclusive and expensive (in terms of money or time) type of items which are BAD for the F2P game as they make players unhappy and can make them to leave the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is in game purchase content, but I would say it's far less "pay to win" than most other games of the same nature. Like, you can't buy keys to unlock the reward tree stuff, and the only things I'd even think about spending money on is kegs or better starter decks from the shop. I'd say this game is really fair in terms of playing long term without spending a lot. I've only been playing about a month, but have already reached rank 19 without spending a dime.

Been playing gwent at witcher, even when i stopped playing the game couse i got bored.
Found it for mobile and since then ive played every next day to sum it up. Being from a country where a dollar now equals 140 of my currency makes it impossible to buy anything.
This game is not p2w, if you starting today, take this post in consideration. This is a game. People trying to pay for advantage will get bored fast, if they dont, ill se ya on the cardboard. The journey is fun. Been a year or so since i play my MO deck, been refining it for that long just by playing for fun, i get my high kicks from real life, games are for games and fun. A month ago i made a new deck, been enjoing it since then. I got 10k scraps, lots of ore, several cards from most dexka and at tier 2 couse in lazy to tryhard for rankes (and couae ill need 4 decks total and im even more lazy to craft the 2 im missing.
Faced players with cosmetic frames and stuff that they payed for. It was just to look "nicer" they win or loose like everyone else.
The gap between the people that just cashes the game out, becomes absolutely irrelevant since there is no deck you can make that wins every single round. You need luck drawing cards, skill playing them and experience to respond correctly to your opponent.

Leave that all behind and hey, its a friggin game. You like it, go for it, dislike it, uninstall and move on. Leave the fights to defend your/our rights, play on your games to decompress your day a bit. If your young enough youll find out later that there are more important things to fight for.

Happy hunting.

How is this still a thread?

It's not a P2W game. Never been.

You do your research online. You double down on a deck. You scrap everything you have that's not in it. You craft most of the cards. You play. After one day, you should have enough rewards (it goes quickly) to craft the remaining legendaries.

At least that's how it went in the beta (where you start will all the leaders). Maybe things have changed, though, and you can no longer scrap the base cards. In that case it might actually be P2W... for the first few days. After that you should've gained enough scraps to craft everything. By the time you get to an actually competitive level, namely rank 3 or less, you will have so many extra cards your deck should be completed. Until then, the starter can get you there if you're good enough.

Sure, you might get bored with the deck. Sure, scrapping everything will make it a lot harder to get a full collection eventually. But we're talking P2W here... IF you want to immediately compete, you can.

I'd say post Master of Mirrors update that paying will benefit you in having Multiple meta decks, but I've paid a total of $50-60 towards this game (the $5 starter pack, Thronebreaker, the $15 Preorder for Master Mirror and a season pass). I have 3 decks that I'd say could get me to rank 5 if I didn't make dumb choices and about 8 decks that are just genuinely fun until you get to rank 18 or so.

Pay2Win? Hell no. If anything, it's Copy2Win.
How to be successful in Gwent:
1. check the list of most used decks
2. import one of the top decks to your game
3. sit your monkey/dog/hamster (or whatever pet there's around - if none, then you will have to do it yourself) in front of your computer
4. let your pet start laying down the cards in the correct order
5. take a nap
6. voila, welcome to pro rank
And it's free (OK, maybe you will have to bribe your pet with some snack).

I wouldn't say it's pay to win really. I guess I'd call it more "pay to progress card collection and customize"?? A mirror match between a newbie and a veteran would more likely see the veteran win because they know how to pilot the deck better, along with a better understanding of all the mechanics and how to operate with less than ideal draws or RNG failures.

Yes and no.
I've bought the starter pack, thronebreaker, premium journey and some levels till 100 ( and still won't be able to reach 175 playing humanly, but that's another story ), 4-5 faction packs and other minor stuffs.
I think I have now like 65 % of the entire collection and I can't craft many of the so called meta decks ( miss 3-4 NR golds , MO golds and SY cards). Collecting cards is a very slow process and anyone who says it's not it's either delusional or blatantly lying to you. It may seem very fast at the beginning but things will get slower and slower and that's why some people decide to buy some packs; my experience though is horrible as in the hundreds of kegs I've opened I've always found bronzes.
So, to get to the point. Pay to win? Maybe, probably yes if you actually spend a TON but that will only buy cards not the skill to play them ( some may argue that current meta decks are so dumb to play you'd need to miss half of your brain to not win at least 1 round per game ).
But all said, no and the reason is that kegs percentage are horrible and promotes the inevitable grind that will take you ages to start crafting cards of other factions.
Some info: i'm currently prestige 4, on my way to prestige 5 with 410+ hours total.

First things first.
This game does in fact have pay to win.
if you can buy kegs in order to get more cards right off the bat, and not just that but get better ones as well (most cards u get will actually be decent or really good cards) you can essentially pay in order to get an unfair advantage against someone who chooses to play the game without making any purchases.

you forget that pay tow in is any form of transaction being made in a game that gives you an edge or upper-hand advantage over others who don't. SO YES this game is very much pay to win. i have been playing this game for a 3 weeks and noted down all the times i played against people who paid to gain an advantage, and the percentage was sitting at about 76%.
i have about (24 hours on this game to give some context as too more or less how many games i have played)

my opinion strongly stays with the fact that this game is indeed pay to win, new players will eventually leave, because of the system or feel forced in a sense that in order to enjoy the game they have to pay.

i also understand that the cards you get from kegs etc are random, but none the less the pay to win system is very much there.

disagree or agree, i'm interested to hear your response

Last edited:

Alright, time to dust of my old post:

Gwent is a Free To Play Online Collectible Card Game (F2P CCG). As with (almost) every collectible card game, online or otherwise, one of the goals is to collect cards. You do this by buying booster packs. The F2P element is that you can get these booster packs when spending time instead of money. The fact that you can buy boosters and as such buy an advantage means the game is pay to win (P2W) in the strictest sense. However, it's important to note that this applies to the whole F2P CCG genre. So it's pointless to argue whether or not Gwent is P2W. Instead you should compare the game with other CCG and ask how generous Gwent is. The conclusion is that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.

So, how can you earn rewards as a F2P player?
1. Daily quest
2. The Journey, by completing quests, and the daily tiers, by winning 6/12/24 rounds
3. GG rewards at the end of the match
4. A leveling system that gives you rewards and unique perks (which, in turn, offers you more rewards)
5. A monthly faction challenge offering extra rewards by completing quests
6. Playing ranked, even at lower ranked you'll receive some rewards at the end of the month
7. Daily login rewards

How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering: Arena, for F2P players?
1. Smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. You cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Less frequent expansions with less cards (making it easier to keep up with the collection)
4. And, as noted in the previous paragraph, it's easier to earn rewards

On a final note, for the sake of full disclosure, I have to mention that, over the years Gwent did became less friendly for new players. However, the aforementioned points still hold true and Gwent is still easier for a F2P player than most other CCGs.

First things first.
This game does in fact have pay to win.
if you can buy kegs in order to get more cards right off the bat, and not just that but get better ones as well (most cards u get will actually be decent or really good cards) you can essentially pay in order to get an unfair advantage against someone who chooses to play the game without making any purchases.

you forget that pay tow in is any form of transaction being made in a game that gives you an edge or upper-hand advantage over others who don't. SO YES this game is very much pay to win. i have been playing this game for a 3 weeks and noted down all the times i played against people who paid to gain an advantage, and the percentage was sitting at about 76%.
i have about (24 hours on this game to give some context as too more or less how many games i have played)

my opinion strongly stays with the fact that this game is indeed pay to win, new players will eventually leave, because of the system or feel forced in a sense that in order to enjoy the game they have to pay.

i also understand that the cards you get from kegs etc are random, but none the less the pay to win system is very much there.

No, it is not. A p2w game is a game that gives an advantage not achievable by free players. In the case of Gwent, that would be locking the best cards behind a paywall. Which it does not. True, you can buy the kegs to progress faster, but once you earn enough resources, which is easily done, free players are in the exact same spot as anyone who spent 1000 of dollars/euros on the game. And since you don't have to rely on keg RNG and can craft specific cards, even free players can have Tier 1 decks within weeks of starting out.

Also, how exactly can you tell, you played against someone who paid? For kegs, not cosmetics.

Is Gwent a pay to win game?

As title.
I have seen in the BETA game that the initial decks are very weak.

I suppose that people who will spend more will be able to build a better deck and there is no way to win a strong deck with a weak one
(if both players knows how to play gwent).

So, is this game a pay to win game?

It's not play to win, but play to get better cards faster.
If you don't pay you can still easily win, but you will need just more time.

And if you don't pay you can't get some decorative stuff, but if you don't care about them (here I am) it's totally ok :D

Top Bottom