Is Gwent a pay to win game?

+
Yes it's full pay to win, i see some guy with OP cards, you can't do anything and how he get those card ? He just pay. I will don't play anymore this game, witcher 3 gwent is better.

You can also get a free Keg and the witcher enhanced edition for subscribing to their newsletter, and like many others have stated here you need to play to get more cards, wich is normal. You didn't get your golden cards for free in the witcher 3 either, you needed to work for them.

Last edited:
The amount of ore you get per game/levelup is just atrocious. I just reached level 8 and I've gotten 25 ore for it. 25. 1/4th of a pack, and at that level it takes about 8 wins to from lvl 7. Really poor rewards.

Either the matchmaking is broken and/or people are paying to win quickly. You get absolutely nothing for losing. So if I can't compete, I pay to win or I just give up now.

+ Xbox One users cannot buy any Kegs for now so it is huge disadvantage :/

despite being mindful of the mulling values and understanding i don't know the possible back-end shenanigans that go on in pack openings(like guaranteed x rarity in x kegs), the pricing/progression does seem bad.

the steeper the prices, the less encouraging it is to self-theorycraft and moreso finding a safe meta build online for the relatively paltry investment, leading to pervasive sameness-- that's my worry
edit: and by paltry i mean small relative to the amount of money that seems to be necessary, like $100+

Last edited:
I have yet to play against an op deck. to me the matchmaking seems to be working, which is really the only way to balance a game like gwent. if it doesn't work for some people.. well it's a beta.

I do think the starter decks are a bit limited, maybe the first few levels should go by a little faster.

right now it is a liitle bit pay win due to fact that u can buy things faster, exp yestrday i played with guy wich go full in in first round - he buffed Rouch to 54 points (or so) than make it gold card than in next round he played Borch aka villem...(dragon) wich sponed rouch with 54 point an than countdown went... i couldnt do anythings against it ...without spending tons of money he could not get so many rare special cards so early in beta

You can also get a free Keg and the witcher enhanced edition for subscribing to their newsletter, and like many others have stated here you need to play to get more cards, wich is normal. You didn't get your golden cards for free in the witcher 3 either, you needed to work for them.

Where can I sign up for this?

The amount of ore you get per game/levelup is just atrocious. I just reached level 8 and I've gotten 25 ore for it. 25. 1/4th of a pack, and at that level it takes about 8 wins to from lvl 7. Really poor rewards.

Yeah, at that point in the game right now, you have to invest money, because the rewards are not enough to build your collection by just playing the game.

As far as pay to win goes, i have not experienced that much of it tbh. Yes i did play couple games out of 40 or so that the opponents seems to have some really powerful cards. One has gerald igni and brima bran but i won that one anyway despite not spending any money. I don't feel like its a problem atm. A have decks that are based on starter cards and i am winning most of games. You can absolutely enjoy the game and win games without paying real money.

At the beginning of this day I was winning/loosing like 50/50% of my games, which seemed fair. I crafted myself some cheap cards I needed while there were still scraps rewarded for winning/loosing and got level 2. But I'm loosing for an entire evening, because I mostly see monsters with their OP ability and tons of better cards like Igni Geralt, lots of buffs and damages. I can't do anything, because they're buffing like hell and destroying all my cards. Yes, there are basic buff/debuff cards in each starter, but one per 25 is way too random and I rarely get those. Waiting for better matchmaking, because it's simply not fun to play anymore.

I've played a few games against guys with full set of witchers, some spies and additional gold cards. It makes matches tougher, but it's far from P2W

I can't do anything, because they're buffing like hell and destroying all my cards. Yes, there are basic buff/debuff cards in each starter, but one per 25 is way too random and I rarely get those. Waiting for better matchmaking, because it's simply not fun to play anymore.

It depends what you're playing with. My winning % is very high right now, including against people with some amazing cards, which they don't know how to use. But I'm playing with a monster deck which is indeed the most powerful of them all. Sadly, the strategy there is very narrow and straight forward, there's not much room for deviation. So far I'm moderately loosing only to super-duper decks with tons of amazing gold cards, to exactly the same decks or very rarely if I have extremely bad luck. Monster power to leave one card on the board is making all other factions to play with a handicap. Skellige set right now is unplayable because of the priestess of Freya bug, which resurrects to the wrong side.

But I'm playing with a monster deck which is indeed the most powerful of them all.
This. I wasn't playing it, because as you said the starter is very limited and it quickly gets boring. But after ragequitting and writing a message here I decided to try it - and I won one game and lost one. In the one I won two gamebreaking bugs occurred - one for me and one for my opponent. And I have to add this: bugs making it even harder to win with starters now, because powerful cards are powerful as they are and if you're happy to get a lucky draw it's still 50/50 on whether your combo will work or glitch.

It depends what you're playing with. My winning % is very high right now, including against people with some amazing cards, which they don't know how to use. But I'm playing with a monster deck which is indeed the most powerful of them all. Sadly, the strategy there is very narrow and straight forward, there's not much room for deviation. So far I'm moderately loosing only to super-duper decks with tons of amazing gold cards, to exactly the same decks or very rarely if I have extremely bad luck. Monster power to leave one card on the board is making all other factions to play with a handicap. Skellige set right now is unplayable because of the priestess of Freya bug, which resurrects to the wrong side.

I think i've lost to you today, did something stupid if i recall. Congratulations

I think you're just playing against shitty opponents - in fact most opponents have no clue what they're doing so it can seem like your deck is OP when it's not. I'm mostly playing scoi'atel since I lack monster cards, but with the deck that I've got (focused around thinning deck with mercs and wounding) I'm losing every 5th or 6th game.

Is the deck OP? Probably not. But people make tons of mistakes that anyone can capitalize on for super easy wins.

It is a free card game! How else can they earn money? NO it is not a pay to win. You want to earn the best cards without work? Or better, you want to have a change to get the best cards without work? Then pay... But really, what is the point after getting all the good cards? just playing and winning? Where is the fun in that?

I prefer not to pay for kegs. Trying to collect the ores to buy kegs is more fun to me. I will pay (possibly) for buying a mission pack or something like that but not for kegs. I want better cards, i am playing more, find strategies with the cards i have now. More fun, more challenge.

I believe that Gwent will be a card game for mature players who knows how the game works. This is gonna be great. The players who wants childy game, easy game etc will go back to HS.

Top Bottom