Is Gwent a pay to win game?

+
I personally favour the diminishing rewards, I use them as soft cutoff points to stop playing for the day. I'd rather play a bit every day than bash it out over 12 hours in 1 day, then forget about it for a week.

I wouldnt say its pay to win.
But u can speed up obtaining cards with real money.
But in the end everyone will have same set of cards.

Think about pokemonGO.
Someone who uses much money will have much more epic pokemons than player who doesnt use money.
And pokemon go doesnt have limit.
If player A uses 100 euros for game, then player B uses also 100 euro.
But then player A decides use 200 more euros.
There is no limit.
In pokemonGo players who dont use money, will most certainly have more shitty collection of pokemons than player who uses extremely much money for the game.
In pokemonGo, credit card warriors always have best and nicest possible collection of pokemons.
(not to mention GPS hackers)

I don't really think so since u can craft your own stuff and you dont get scraps from kegs. I would say more, luck based.

What's ridiculous is new players have access to cards/decks much higher than they should because they can buy/mill 2 win. In any lvl up game you have to bide your time, make good decisions and you progress steadily. In GWENT...that's all out the window. There is no justification for such a system in gaming.
when I started out I had starter decks, as expected. Imagine my surprise when in the lower ranks I came up against cards I wouldn't expect to see until mid-pro ladder. Because this games allows that kind of BS to happen.

Maybe i'm just a bit ol' skool here but games where you get the best stuff at the beginning....that's just wrong.

gards

I've moved your post to another thread because you are talking more about the "pay to win" aspect of the game, than the ranking system. So, it's time to whip out the usual responds:

Gwent is a Free To Play Online Collectible Card Game (F2P CCG). As with (almost) every collectible card game, online or otherwise, one of the goals is to collect cards. You do this by buying booster packs. The F2P element is that you can get these booster packs when spending time instead of money. The fact that you can buy boosters and as such buy an advantage means the game is pay to win (P2W) in the strictest sense. However, it's important to note that this applies to the whole F2P CCG genre. So, it's pointless to argue whether or not Gwent is P2W. Instead, you should compare the game with other CCG and ask how generous Gwent is. The conclusion is that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG.

As for gaining cards, a new account can almost instantly create a competitive (Tier 1) deck for FREE.

There are only three simple things you need to do:
1. Get level 3 to unlock milling (which is easy) and mill all unused cards.
2. Beat the challenges to get the leaders (still easy).
3. Copy a netdeck from the internet (also easy).

I wouldn't recommend the above, but it's possible nonetheless.

No Title

Attached - perhaps the phrasing under the highlighted window wasn't chosen well in relation to this particular argument

Attachments

• photo187701.jpg
    photo187701.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 34
nemirni;n10096541 said:
What do you find wrong in it?

It was just a random musing/ nitpick

'Buy cards to build better decks' implies that bought decks are better (p2w). It should be phrased buy cards to widen your deck building options

Oh ok. Well advertising always stretches the truth :).
Since other people's money enables cdpr to be generous and therefore me to play for free i won't complain about some 'proactive' marketing :).

Pre-Patch I'd have disagreed. But now after this patch, I'm not sure anymore. Definitely feels like it's Pay to Win as players who didn't stack up on Kegs have to purchase them. And their once a year sale doesn't even offer a 25% discount. What's more, is they've pushed the Ranked Season End to 8th of Jan while the last Season ended on 30th of October. So technically this season should end on 30th or 31st of this month. Why push it to 8th of Jan? Surely, CDPR didn't deliberately delay the Season End so they could cash in as much as possible before their sorry excuse of a Special Offer ends..? Quite sneaky stuff if you ask me..

Last edited:
m0bius8;n10097371 said:
Pre-Patch I'd have disagreed. But now after this patch, I'm not sure anymore. Definitely feels like it's Pay to Win as players who didn't stack up on Kegs have to purchase them. And their once a year sale doesn't even offer a 25% discount. What's more, is they've pushed the Ranked Season End to 8th of Jan while the last Season ended on 30th of October. So technically this season should end on 30th or 31st of this month. Why push it to 8th of Jan? Surely, CDPR didn't deliberately delay the Season End so they could cash in as much as possible before their sorry excuse of a Special Offer ends..? Quite sneaky stuff if you ask me..

This, so much this. Back when they added 20 cards per patch if you went F2P and played every day you could get all the base cards at least (probably not all premiums) But this 100 card patch that they pushed out ahead of season end before it was even stable is nothing but a way to force competitive players to buy kegs, F2P players cannot catch up especially without end of season rewards. They handled this patch like EA would, not like CDPR. Eventually success is bound to change them fully, maby in another 10 years after the founders aren't involved and the bottom-line is king.

Last edited:
m0bius8;n10097371 said:
What's more, is they've pushed the Ranked Season End to 8th of Jan while the last Season ended on 30th of October. So technically this season should end on 30th or 31st of this month. Why push it to 8th of Jan?

CDPR can't win. If they don't push it, you'll have disgruntled players complaining of changes to cards midway into the season. However, if they push the season start back to the 8th, it gives them a week after returning to work post holidays to work on community concerns, issue a fix and start the season off with a game that the community's happier with

Last edited:
Chaob_N7 Hold on, slow down here...

Chaob_N7;n10098841 said:
Back when they added 20 cards per patch if you went F2P and played every day you could get all the base cards at least (probably not all premiums) But this 100 card [...]

Here you are implying it's actually a bad thing that CDPR has released more than 20 cards in the new patch. Because F2P cannot catch up, CDPR should release less cards? That's not a good reason. Besides, you don't need to get all new cards, just the ones you want to play with. Even F2P players can save kegs and get 1 or 2 new decks, at least. Also, the amount of new cards CDPR has released still pales in comparison to Hearthstone. Never-mind the fact that Gwent is one of the most generous F2P CCG games out there.

Chaob_N7;n10098841 said:
But this 100 card patch that they pushed out ahead of season end before it was even stable is nothing but a way to force competitive players to buy kegs, F2P players cannot catch up especially without end of season rewards.

Competitive players have enough of a buffer already and can easily craft any cards they want.

Chaob_N7;n10098841 said:
They handled this patch like EA would, not like CDPR. Eventually success is bound to change them fully, maby in another 10 years after the founders aren't involved and the bottom-line is king.

The only thing I can agree on is that the patch was rushed. However, it wasn't done for the money (that's not like CDPR), but because they wanted to release it before Christmas.

When you purchase something in Gwent, in fact you buy time. Gwent is a Play to Win, it's really about the time you're able to invest into the game. Paying is a shortcut, but not a guarantee. Because getting to the same deck by playing or by paying is not the same. The one who plays get something extra that can't be bought: experience.

Last edited:
Makhil;n10101301 said:
When you purchase something in Gwent, in fact you buy time. Gwent is a Play to Win, it's really about the time you're able to invest into the game. Paying is a shortcut, but not a guarantee. Because getting to the same deck by playing or by paying is not the same. The one who plays get something extra that can't be bought: experience.

I don't think the argument has ever been, or will be in these discussions that experience isn't key. But when you have competitive players that aren't able to play over the holiday season or didn't start when the game came out, but are generally intelligent and may have as much current experience (time played within the last few months), you would generally have constraints on those players, they will never have the same sort of level of gameplay being 1-5 cards down from their optimal deck. But arguably it is christmas and I think this was a seasonal promotion, and at that many people play free cannot complain about these sorts of tactics because everyone rips you off around christmas time, even your local grocers will boost up prawns to 150% their value. With the 100 new cards that came out, you're really expected to either pay or become their biggest fans to keep up and thats the reality now.

net decking and pay to win are two issues that need to be solved. I dont think that the game is necessarily pay to win but this latest patch has made me struggle to find (and create) options for the new ways to create card decks, which has almost in a way forced me (though I haven't given in to it... I am sure many others have) to netdeck in order to actually have an effective deck and climb the ladder (what i care about)

Patch by patch Gwent became more and more pay to win. And I am referring not to cards, which can be achieved quite fast even as a f2p player. I am referring to the pure meaning of these 3 words. Pay to win (more games).

What was needed for this recipe? Lots of RNG. Thus will not be so obvious the matchmaking and game play rigging. Most of players will blame RNG. Only wew will note the discrepancies between probabilities theoretical and practical values.

Easy business strategy. You want cards faster. Buy kegs. Play. Win good courtesy of rigging mechanics. Feel happy of your skills. Buy more kegs for other decks. Continue with the good WR. Feel even better. Time for show the world who is the boss. Buy meteorite powder. Win more with your shiny deck. New expansion. Buy more cards. And so on. HS recipe for years. Activision being granted in October with the patent for the algorithm insuring higher WR after micro-transactions.

(What if the mechanics were not rigged? From the perspective of an average player. Enter the game. See lots of tough decks. Loss after loss. Buy some cards to improve the deck. And surprise, loss after loss...cause you still miss the elementary skills. F... this game, and go find another)

Recipe for financial success. I blame CDRP not tor making this for their business as all the others are doing it. I blame them not for assembling a brilliant team to develop this really nice game idea into something to give satisfaction for all typologies of players.

By definition Yes it's a pay to win. And it is hurting the game as a whole. If you don't pay I can take like 400 games to make a single you want to play. And you don't even know if it will be good. So when you putting that many games to make one deck you want you first or second to be a meta/net deck that you know will win. There will always be a meta deck. You can't fix that ever. You just have to make sure there are 7+ meta decks at every patch. Which is going good so far. But you can make it easier to make a fun deck for no paying people

Top Bottom