Is Gwent logic logical?

+
What I always loved about Gwent cards was their abilities' everyday logic. Like Temerian Drummer boosting a unit with his music, Skellige berserks becoming more powerful (usually) with the damage they receive and so on. The abilities were, of course, tailored to different factions' gameplay yet still logical. But lately I see more and more cards that are just created for the specific mechanics.

First was (and remains) the so-loved-by-all Oneiromancy. In Witcher 3 it was the magic that allowed you to locate anything the mage could see in their dream. So shouldn't this card allow you to look through your deck and put a card on top, for example? Instead it was made a universal tutor. Why call it Oneiromancy then?

Way of the Witcher was just horrible in this aspect. Cat Witcher, Griffin Scout and a pair of others I can understand. Even the Snake Alchemist works similar to other NG alchemists. But what's the logic of Snake Mentors? When NG Spotter looks at the top card, he receives a boost equal to its strength - for me it's like he makes the NG army aware of the coming enemy and this awareness translates into the unit's boost. But how does it work with the card's provision? Maybe someone sees the logic of it that I don't? And what's with Snake Adept and Kolgrim? Why do they interact with the card count? And why does Griffin Adept turn witchers into a copy of himself? Is he some sort of Doppler or lycanthrope? Bear Mentor's and Quartermaster's abilities would suit them more if they swapped them, I think.
Why does Foltest create a copy of a card that is boosted (and we all know he is only ever used in Stripes decks - or at least I've never encountered him anywhere else)? He was always more of a siege engine guy. Why does Geralt: Quen summon a witcher? Some new properties on the shield sign?

:shrug: For me such things totally kill all the "battlefield feel" the devs said they were trying to create. All those cards could just have some abstract art - there's no authenticity in them anyway.

Last edited:
Dettlaff: Higher Vampire and Viy rely on being eaten and then then reform after being digested (Only Dettlaff gets bored of it after 2 times while Viy can keep on going for like 9 times). :D

Dettlaff: Higher Vampire and Viy rely on being eaten and then then reform after being digested (Only Dettlaff gets bored of it after 2 times while Viy can keep on going for like 9 times). :D
Well, in Blood and Wine Detlaff did have three hearts. And according to Viy's tree lore, Viy can't be killed, just put to sleep, At least they're consistent here. Viy is simply overly annoying because of the countless ways it can be played in one game.

Top Bottom