Is it even possible to win with a budget deck anymore?

+

Can you win with a budget deck post-WotW??

• Yes, I think so

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Yes, I've won with a budget deck since WotW released

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, I don't think so

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
I'm interested in people's opinions of this now that WotW is out, do you think it's possible to complete the contract to win with a budget deck/have you won with one?

Edit: to clarify for those new to the post budget refers to a deck of 100 provisions or less, which requires you to use 25x 4 provision cost cards. The contract can be found under Mastery and is called "Poor Man's Gwent".

Last edited:
What's a budget deck? A non-meta one? If so, then it's the same as always. Yes in unranked and yes but hard in ranked.

If you mean whether it is possible to complete the contract, win with a deck using 100 provisions or less, I think that one has always required help — either another player also using a very weak deck, an opponent who gets frustrated and forfeits if any little thing goes wrong for them, or most likely, an opponent who identifies what you are doing and helps out by repeated bad plays or early passing.

My recommendation is to wait a little and complete that achievement during the Season of the Cat. That specific seasonal mode makes it very easy to win with a deck full of 4 provision cards - I did it on the very first try and was able to repeat it multiple times.

ya1

Forum regular
Yes, it's possible. IIRC a streamer Specimen Gwent did that lately. But most people who wanted to do it did it doing the Switcheroo seasonal mode. The one where you switched hands every turn.

DRK3

Forum veteran
If you just want to complete the contract/achievment, which requires a single win with such deck (25 cards of 4 provisions), its very easy, you just need to find someone who's not playing "for real", which there is no shortage:

Players doing quests, players who are just playing 1 card and pass for XP (yesterday i was matched with one player doing this, 3 times in a sesssion), or you can increase the odds of players forfeiting vs you with certain leader abilities (use Lockdown, i was forfeiting instantly vs Lockdown yestersay because of the deck i was using)

However, if you mean win matches with such deck in serious matches, its almost impossible. Even starter decks piloted by beginners can crush a 100 prov deck.

I just won an unranked game with an NG starter deck against what looked like a meta NR Witcher’s deck. My opponent drew rather poorly and overcommitted to win round 1 (but he would have lost on even otherwise). It kind of reminded me of the old days when I advanced pretty far on ranked with an NG starter deck. Starter decks are far from horrible. I wish SY had one — it would doubtless be better than the garbage I’ve been able to create.

What's a budget deck? A non-meta one? If so, then it's the same as always. Yes in unranked and yes but hard in ranked.

A budget deck is a deck with 150 provisions or less that only uses bronze cards.
Post automatically merged:

I saw a Reddit post from someone who'd done just that... so, yes it is.

Was the post made pre or post WotW? Link please.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, 100 provisions. Can't edit previous post though.

I'm interested in people's opinions of this now that WotW is out, do you think it's possible to complete the contract to win with a budget deck/have you won with one?

Edit: to clarify for those new to the post budget refers to a deck of 100 provisions or less, which requires you to use 25x 4 provision cost cards. The contract can be found under Mastery and is called "Poor Man's Gwent".

I got the contract for this achievement but I can't remember the details as it was many months ago and maybe even happened quite quickly.

To answer your question, no matter how bad your deck, you're pretty much assured of getting a win at some point. E.g. disconnections, forfeits or maybe, just maybe, someone drawing bad and just throwing in the towel.

Win a game, yes. Have a good win percentage, probably not.

Let's take a deck everyone has, like a Scoia'tel Artifact deck made for the play 20/40 artifact decks. Mine uses leader ability Guerilla Tactics...and has for 2+ years in order to help with Crushing traps and runs Ciri Nova as it's most expensive card. Most of the other cards are rare or epic.

It can win against a few top decks if everything goes right and the other player draws average, but for the most part it gets crushed in ranked and hits 50% in casual as of late, since people run regular ranked decks in casual these days.

It is very fun to play, and can be updated well with the WoW cards, but I still like to use the original version with the boosting dwarves.

Top Bottom