Is it just me or does Eredin's ability just not fit into monsters?

+
Honestly, I wish he supported like some Biting Frost Archetype. It's weird that we don't have a weather deck.... I don't really miss it but I think it would make more sense.

I agree that his ability does not fit Monsters but I feel like NR would be way too strong with a leader that adds shields. Like it'd be so much easier to add shields to snowball engines and dueling units. So even though it makes little sense, I think it is more balanced than NR having it.

All in all, being able to protect two cards now is pretty cool. Two points and a shield make a lot of difference when you consider cards that have orders. Monsters got hit very hard with this update... It'll be interesting to see how the meta develops.

Honestly, I wish he supported like some Biting Frost Archetype. It's weird that we don't have a weather deck.... I don't really miss it but I think it would make more sense.

I agree that his ability does not fit Monsters but I feel like NR would be way too strong with a leader that adds shields. Like it'd be so much easier to add shields to snowball engines and dueling units. So even though it makes little sense, I think it is more balanced than NR having it.

All in all, being able to protect two cards now is pretty cool. Two points and a shield make a lot of difference when you consider cards that have orders. Monsters got hit very hard with this update... It'll be interesting to see how the meta develops.

Engines are too weak right now too worry about snowballing. Removal is so much better.

It doesn't make sense if you have the perception that shields belong to NR, which they don't and they shouldn't.

It doesn't make sense if you have the perception that shields belong to NR, which they don't and they shouldn't.

Shields logically make the most sense with engines which are the most prevalent in NR. That is only one part of the discussion. How exactly do shields fit into the monster play style and archetypes?

CDPR did give the most shield type cards to NR and it seems like if they were going to do that then why not a shield leader?

Not necessarily, it depends on the threats. Back when quen was in the game it made the most sense on big units, which monsters has plenty of right now, i guess it helps keeping up dominance.
And i said this in another topic, yes NR has the most shield units, but there are almost as many neutral shield units as there are in NR so everyone has access to them.

Not necessarily, it depends on the threats. Back when quen was in the game it made the most sense on big units, which monsters has plenty of right now, i guess it helps keeping up dominance.
And i said this in another topic, yes NR has the most shield units, but there are almost as many neutral shield units as there are in NR so everyone has access to them.

Quen was not just played on big units. It was notoriously used to shield up Dol Blathanna protectors which were engine cards that boosted from playing specials.

Most big removal cards will destroy an Old spear tip whether it's shielded up or not.

I wasn't making the argument that other factions shouldn't be able to use shields. Just that a shield leader makes more sense with a faction centered on engines. It seems very out of place with monsters.

Quen was not just played on big units. It was notoriously used to shield up Dol Blathanna protectors which were engine cards that boosted from playing specials.

They boosted in hand/deck similar to spotters and they were dropped at the end as big finishers.

Most big removal cards will destroy an Old spear tip whether it's shielded up or not.

It's not only about removing the tallest unit in the game, it's about keeping dominance in any form, and preventing 3-4 damage can have a big impact on the rest of your round.

And yeah i get it that shields can be powerful in NR, but can also be useful in other factions, even if it's not so obvious now.

Lorewise Eredin is not a typical monster though. He is just an elf who does monstrous things, but apart from this he is pretty civilized and has a good knowledge on tactics and strategies.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Shield Eredin is in line with the dev's logic.

Somehow using knut on a shielded ally was a bug and people were abusing the bug.

But shielding a dueling unit which is basically the same thing, trading your shield for damage value is "a feature". Notwithstanding that dueling units do it for FULL power value and not just half.

It's not only about removing the tallest unit in the game, it's about keeping dominance in any form, and preventing 3-4 damage can have a big impact on the rest of your round.

And yeah i get it that shields can be powerful in NR, but can also be useful in other factions, even if it's not so obvious now.

It's really not worth using Eredin just to try to keep dominance which is easy to get for monsters.

Guest 4342399

Giving shields seems like it fits Northern Realms, not monsters. There's only a few cards that make sense to use shields on with monsters and it's just not a good idea because it's so predictable. So many things the devs do with this game just don't make much sense.

Totally agree. Seems more fit for NR or NG. Soldiers, knights and what not....

Shield is a great mechanic for Northern Realms but not so much for everybody else.

It's so good in Northern Realms because the damage committed to the shield is potentially less damage received by another game winning engine, but Monsters doesn't have as many of those (removing the melee lock on Nekurat would be a start to push engines for that faction), but more importantly shields allow you to double your duel damage, but also has few synergies with Windhalm and Roegner.

After playing few games with Eredin I found out that having the shield was useless because my engines were either locked, or the shield was easily removed.

Honestly I think as a leader ability he should get 2 charges to be able to play a weather effect on 1 enemy row for 2 turns. Playable only once per round.

So in 2 round he can apply a short term weather effect.

My logic

that's 8 damage at max. That's the same damage as Ada or the inverse of Woodland Spirit. However it's spread over 2 rounds.

Or if that proves not good enough then you let him do Skellige storm as an options too but for 1 turn on two different rounds.

Wild Hunt actually uses shields in the Witcher games.

I think the ability of Eredin seems pretty good actually. Had a guy another day use shield on Avelach, then gave immune to a unit. I wasn't able to take out Avelach, I did not have a lock on hand.

Top Bottom