Is it just me or is TW3 more a sequel to the books than to the games?

+
Is it just me or is TW3 more a sequel to the books than to the games?

I mean its a great game no doubt but its kind off disappointing (story-wise) as a sequel to TW2

Nothing you did there matters in TW3 (Witch Hunt happens regardless, Henselt dies, Iorveth and Saskia are written off etc.)
Not to mention how Triss gets shafted and the politics are pretty lackluster compared to TW2 (Radovid going the Bioware way and becoming just silly crazy)

On the other hand Ciri (the whole story is basically about her) and Yennefer (who is suddenly the main love interest) get major roles etc.

It's not just you. I have the same impression. The Witcher 3 feels more like a sequel to the books than the third part of the video game.
The game itself is great, I really love it. But I'm a bit disappointed that so many things you did in Assassins of Kings don't play a role anymore.
Though I went with Roche I'd like to know what happend to Saskia an Iorveth, etc. etc.

And now Ciri is the major plot. Okay, I know the books so it makes sense to me, but the people who don't know the books... ? The whole thing is a bit poorly explained in my opinion.
The same with Yennefer: it is said that you (Geralt) remembers that he was in love with her. But this doesn't mean he still is (especially if you've chosen the Triss romance). So why isn't there any option to continue with Triss when you meet her again ?
I know that Yen an Geralt are bound together by fate somehow because I read the books but again : what about the people that don't know them ?

It's not just you. I have the same impression. The Witcher 3 feels more like a sequel to the books than the third part of the video game.
The game itself is great, I really love it. But I'm a bit disappointed that so many things you did in Assassins of Kings don't play a role anymore.
Though I went with Roche I'd like to know what happend to Saskia an Iorveth, etc. etc.

And now Ciri is the major plot. Okay, I know the books so it makes sense to me, but the people who don't know the books... ? The whole thing is a bit poorly explained in my opinion.
The same with Yennefer: it is said that you (Geralt) remembers that he was in love with her. But this doesn't mean he still is (especially if you've chosen the Triss romance). So why isn't there any option to continue with Triss when you meet her again ?
I know that Yen an Geralt are bound together by fate somehow because I read the books but again : what about the people that don't know them ?

As someone who started out the Witcher series with the games, and has barley read any East-European literature. This is how I feel.

You obviously have the lack of Triss, who was important in the first two games. But then you had other W2 Characters that deserved more screen time, like Roche, Iorveth, Saskia, Síle de Tansarville, Letho, and Anais. Ever since I met Roche I wondered what happened to Anais after Roche and Her went on a trip together at the end of W2.

Whilst I love the Witcher 3 to death, definitely the Game of this Decade. It doesn't really feel like a proper Sequel to Assassins of Kings.

i have to agree. love the game as a stand alone but as a sequel it left me with to many questions. i went with the iorvethpath and i am not even getting a mentioning of what happened. but since zoltan is alive i asume they are too? then an other thing that is bugging the hell out of me. i cured the curse but the game doesnt seem to remember that, because when i ask phillipa about her she tells me she lost controll over the dragon and has no idea where she is o_O Then an other thing is Mama la Valette, why doesnt she know she has children that i saved? an other thing is thought interesting/wierd are the Scoia´tael, i met only a very small single unit in the whole game. you would think they would fight the nilfs to there blood for the betrayal, but no they completely vanished

Last edited:
Its because Geralt doesn't have amnesia anymore. Which means, he is now expected to fully remember all of the established lore from the novels. The developers, the writers, and the characters in game are all quick to remind you about all lore and history from the books, so yeah, TW3 is more about the books than TW1 and 2 combined. I think it is good for storytelling, but not for roleplaying.

Amnesia gave Geralt a blank slate, the recovery of his memory makes him a well defined protagonist with with tons of baggage, which is really not the best kind of protagonist to roleplay with.

Its because Geralt doesn't have amnesia anymore. Which means, he is now expected to fully remember all of the established lore from the novels. The developers, the writers, and the characters in game are all quick to remind you about all lore and history from the books, so yeah, TW3 is more about the books than TW1 and 2 combined. I think it is good for storytelling, but not for roleplaying.

Amnesia gave Geralt a blank slate, the recovery of his memory makes him a well defined protagonist with with tons of baggage, which is really not the best kind of protagonist to roleplay with.

Just because he has his memory back doesn't mean that he should be like Book Geralt again but sadly that was exactly the case

Just because he has his memory back doesn't mean that he should be like Book Geralt again but sadly that was exactly the case

Exactly. The experiences that Geralt had in the time after he lost his memory should have shaped him in a new way. The player should have a choice whether to embrace that or for Geralt to fall back to how he was in the books (or maybe something in between). No one is tied down to live their lives in one way for their whole lives. Sometimes major events happen in someone's life that changes everything and they never act the way they once did again.

Exactly. The experiences that Geralt had in the time after he lost his memory should have shaped him in a new way. The player should have a choice whether to embrace that or for Geralt to fall back to how he was in the books (or maybe something in between). No one is tied down to live their lives in one way for their whole lives. Sometimes major events happen in someone's life that changes everything and they never act the way they once did again.

In my opinion, the experiences that Geralt have in the first two games are no way close to what he went through in the books, and the emotional ties to those events - rescuing Ciri and Yennefer, and losing a lot of friends on the way. Of course, an important part of RPG games is to let the players make their own choice and shape the character. The strength of the TW series is that it has such a rich lore and back story. In my opinion the role playing in TW is much better, than say Skyrim, Instead of making my own character I am role playing as Geralt, a character with a rich back story.

It seems like the "forced" Yennefer relationship is irritating a lot of player and non-book readers. But, after knowing the back story to Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship, there is no chance in hell that Geralt would choose Triss imo, no matter what happened during the very short time span of the first two games.

In my opinion, the experiences that Geralt have in the first two games are no way close to what he went through in the books, and the emotional ties to those events - rescuing Ciri and Yennefer, and losing a lot of friends on the way. Of course, an important part of RPG games is to let the players make their own choice and shape the character. The strength of the TW series is that it has such a rich lore and back story. In my opinion the role playing in TW is much better, than say Skyrim, Instead of making my own character I am role playing as Geralt, a character with a rich back story.

It seems like the "forced" Yennefer relationship is irritating a lot of player and non-book readers. But, after knowing the back story to Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship, there is no chance in hell that Geralt would choose Triss imo, no matter what happened during the very short time span of the first two games.

Yeah but the games aren't canon and basically fanfiction according to the writer of the books
Book Geralt might always choose Yen but not Game (who is the player's Geralt in many ways) Geralt he can be different and instead love Triss

Sadly they went with Book geralt as the only option in TW3

Yeah but the games aren't canon and basically fanfiction according to the writer of the books
Book Geralt might always choose Yen but not Game (who is the player's Geralt in many ways) Geralt he can be different and instead love Triss

Well, it's up to the individual person to decide if they see the games as canon or not, in my opinion. I don't see them as canon, but I treat them as such, if that makes sense. The books have a very sad and tragic ending, but Sapkowski left room for interpretation, which allowed readers to hope that everything was alright. To me, what happened in the books is what happened. The ending left me sad and hoping that Geralt, Yen and Ciri could all be together in peace. I see the games as a realization of that hope for a happy ending. Thus, I treat the games as canon, and try to be just as book-Geralt.

Well, it's up to the individual person to decide if they see the games as canon or not, in my opinion. I don't see them as canon, but I treat them as such, if that makes sense. The books have a very sad and tragic ending, but Sapkowski left room for interpretation, which allowed readers to hope that everything was alright. To me, what happened in the books is what happened. The ending left me sad and hoping that Geralt, Yen and Ciri could all be together in peace. I see the games as a realization of that hope for a happy ending. Thus, I treat the games as canon, and try to be just as book-Geralt.

Of course I'm just saying that the writer doesn't consider them canon
As far as I have heard the new book makes that very clear

we do know about the genie spell in the games tho, that binds their lives together not necessarily right from the first time they meet, but the wish and the relationship are two different things, they deeply love each other both in the books and the W3, but we also know their relationship up to that point was "toxic and turbulent" and Yen wants to break the genie spell to make sure they keep coming back together because of how they feel or because the genie bound their fates.
It is then up to the player to decide if they finally settle down in a non toxic love relationship or they become just friends.

One thing I think many people don't understand is that the games being "canon" or just "fan-fiction" inspired from the books doesn't matter at all because the game picks up the story where the books end while all references and story in the game you get relating to the books are 100% accurate even if vague.
So for all intents and purposes you should play the games as if they were the continuation of the books because that's what they are and there is no "canon" to contradict it at all.
Triss, Geralt and Yen have different relationships because things changed in the games, the characters learned, grew, adapted.

we do know about the genie spell in the games tho, that binds their lives together not necessarily right from the first time they meet, but the wish and the relationship are two different things, they deeply love each other both in the books and the W3, but we also know their relationship up to that point was "toxic and turbulent" and Yen wants to break the genie spell to make sure they keep coming back together because of how they feel or because the genie bound their fates.
It is then up to the player to decide if they finally settle down in a non toxic love relationship or they become just friends.

One thing I think many people don't understand is that the games being "canon" or just "fan-fiction" inspired from the books doesn't matter at all because the game picks up the story where the books end while all references and story in the game you get relating to the books are 100% accurate even if vague.
So for all intents and purposes you should play the games as if they were the continuation of the books because that's what they are and there is no "canon" to contradict it at all.
Triss, Geralt and Yen have different relationships because things changed in the games, the characters learned, grew, adapted.

Well there are SOME minor inconsistencies the games introduce. But, overall, I enjoy the games very much and see them as a fun spin-off from the canon (the books).

No you can stick to your geralt and love Triss instead of Yen. I really don't get the problem with it.

No you can stick to your geralt and love Triss instead of Yen. I really don't get the problem with it.

Yeah but the romance is very unsatisfying and clearly an afterthought
The "true" romance is Yen as the game shoves in your face many times

Problem is that in W3 choosing Yen fits everything like a glove, you get a short/small and a bit "distant" closure and say goodbye to Triss after doing her quests, and the game proceeds with strong content involving Yennefer, characters respond to that well, she participates plenty and you get to know her well (imo even better than you know Triss in the past 2 witcher games combined, but my be cuz of the rich book background)
But if you do pick Triss, nothing like that happens, you dont get any real closure with Yen, either than rejecting/staying friends after you are released from the Genie spell, and Triss does not tie in with neither you or other characters while also having almost no content with her included (mostly just the philipa quests)

I loved Yen but in the End the games bound me with Triss much more, especially seeing how she grew from a envious and selfish woman who craved Geralt at his and her friend (Yen) expense, into a lovely down to earth loving woman willing to sacrifice her relationship to finally let Geralt go for Yen (if the player choses it).
the Triss quests in "3 made me fall in love with her head-to-toe I can't tire of saying how beautiful her sorrow and love is, especially the bits where she talks with Geralt about they breaking up and she being strong trying to move on, and also the way they talk to each other in the ball quest.

at this point even tho I loved Yen, I am disgruntled at the fact that Triss choice is so lackluster compared to pursuing Yen and that Triss should have a much deeper involvement with the quests and other character (yen especially, Geralt yen and triss should be able to get closure on eachother depending on the player choices). she really deserved it.

So much so that, considering its the last Geralt themed game, I am hoping for a Triss only Witcher (or another witcher where she is the main love interest (no option) game where we can see her "moving on" possibly even with came yen and geralt content.
Always wanted to play a sorcerer in Witcher games lol, never much liked the warrior + potion spam type of fantasy character.

Last edited:
Yeah but the romance is very unsatisfying and clearly an afterthought
The "true" romance is Yen as the game shoves in your face many times
I disagree. While I'm not at the romance part of Triss's quest I have seen it. As of now my position still is this. Since TW1 the games have been separate to the books. In the books Geralts love was Yen in the games you could choose Triss. Since TW1 we have had many meaningful moments with Triss, however as she said in this game that once his memory came back he realized she used him however still loves him. The scene in TW2 was at the height of their romance. Now in TW3 you have the option to once and for all confess your love and live happily after after. Now since Yen has come back I see no reason why she wouldn't get an extra scene. I do not feel they forced her on us or Triss an afterthought. However this is simply my opinion, however you and others have yours and I respect that.

I disagree. While I'm not at the romance part of Triss's quest I have seen it. As of now my position still is this. Since TW1 the games have been separate to the books. In the books Geralts love was Yen in the games you could choose Triss. Since TW1 we have had many meaningful moments with Triss, however as she said in this game that once his memory came back he realized she used him however still loves him. The scene in TW2 was at the height of their romance. Now in TW3 you have the option to once and for all confess your love and live happily after after. Now since Yen has come back I see no reason why she wouldn't get an extra scene. I do not feel they forced her on us or Triss an afterthought. However this is simply my opinion, however you and others have yours and I respect that.

Have you already completed the game?
Its not just about the extra sex scene (in fact I don't really care much about that)

I disagree. While I'm not at the romance part of Triss's quest I have seen it.
I highly suggest you finish the game. I'm pretty sure it will change your mind - or at the very least you'll understand our point of view.

@Ganen pretty much hits the nail on the head with his two posts. Don't really have much to add to that.

Top Bottom