Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

So, I'm up to the point where Yen has defiled the Holy Garden and I need to go get Uma. I'm leaving the Uma quest while I go round finishing side quests and such, but after the Garden quests I am just wondering, am I the only person thinking Yen is a completely unlikeable person?

Yen is arrogant, closed off, cold, self-absorbed, manipulative, scheming, disrespectful, and completely unrepentant about all of it.

Triss, on the other hand, is a complete sweetheart. She's kind, funny, cheerful, warm, open, helpful, loyal, wears her heart on her sleeve and doesn't ever use Geralts emotions against him the way Yen does right off the bat.

Also, no spoilers past the Garden please.

She do what needs to be done. Yea, it's bad to kill the garden but what choices did she has? She has only 2 people who matter to her - Geralt and Ciri and will do everything for them. Triss looks better because she don't have to do anything actually, not her fault but still, if she had that corpse - what would she do? I think the same as Yen.

It's not just with the garden though. Right off the bat she comes off as arrogant and petulant, using geralt's feeling against him and guilt-tripping him when he asks a completely legit question (if you knew where I was, why didn't you come to me?).

I get wanting to do anything to find Ciri, but destroying the garden, doing it knowing how sacred it is to these people? That's pretty scummy, she could have found another point of power, but she didn't even apologise for it, Geralt did, though I will give her credit for taking the full blame for it.

I'm not trying to say she's the worst person in the game, cos she's not, not by an incredibly long shot, but she's certainly not one of the nicest people, either. And yeah, I know Triss would've probably done the same, she does torture that spy, after all, but I think Triss would have at least been apologetic about it afterwards.

Well, this is the Witcher world, good people are rare. If we will dig deeper - Triss and Yen are members of the Lodge and Lodge killed A LOT OF people, they directly responsible for mad Radovid (They killed his father and Philippa wrecked him mentally during regency). Yes, Yen was away and Triss maybe didn't know about it, can't remember, but they didn't leave the Lodge, didn't stop it, so they completely fine with political assassinations and other shady stuff. Why? Because they're very egoistic ladies and do that they think needs to be done. Yen just skipping all that "Oh, well, we SOOOO sorry" part and Triss don't.

Triss wasn't a part of that though, and she fought alongside you against the Lodge and their co-conspirators. Yen, however, stayed away and didn't get involved, didn't come to Geralt when he needed her the most (he had amnesia, and was desperate for answers), and then has the gall to use Geralt's relationship with Triss against him when it only happened because she refused to come to his aid, so he fell for the person who was actually there for him.

Well, Triss knew about Yen and Geralt but "forget" to tell him about Yen and basically steal him. She even apologize for that lately. I completely agree that she's much more open and cheerful (oh, and who don't love redhead girls with freckles anyway?!), but I'd not say that she's much more good person than Yen.

Yen is pretty arrogant indeed, most of Geralt's crew , especially the other witchers , dont like her , i went into this game not knowing who i'd pick between Triss and her , its the former now everytime.

I dunno that I would consider Triss to be too sweet, but to each their own. And, as for her stealing Geralt, you have to look at it from her pov. Yen is not coming for Geralt when, as his partner, she should be doing exactly that. Triss is falling in love with Geralt and clearly decided that if Yen isn't going to play the part of the loyal partner, then she will.

I dunno that I would consider Triss to be too sweet, but to each their own. And, as for her stealing Geralt, you have to look at it from her pov. Yen is not coming for Geralt when, as his partner, she should be doing exactly that. Triss is falling in love with Geralt and clearly decided that if Yen isn't going to play the part of the loyal partner, then she will.

Yeah, didn't mean it as an insult or anything like it. I'm just really into women like Yen, Triss is too nice for me

I didn't take it as an insult. Truth be told, I do have a limit on how much sweetness i can tolerate. I mean, if you're sweet to the point of being fake or spineless, then I'm not interested.

I like women to have at least some fierceness to them, a backbone and the determination to be who they are and do what they want in life, and Triss fits that pretty well, I'd say. She has no qualms about torturing and killing the scumbag who was in-part directly responsible for the witch-hunts in Novigrad, after all, and she is more than willing to go after those two mages who haven't showed up at the time they were supposed to during the quest where the mages finally escape Novigrad.

I don't blame her that much, everyone can cheat a little for a happiness, isn't it?
P.S. I demand polygamy in computer games! I don't want to choose, damn it!

I agree Triss is sweeter, warmer and more outgoing than Yennefer, and I'd probably choose a woman like her in real life over a cold, bitchy, domineering one. But don't forget Triss willingly slept with a good friend's lover while he wasn't in his right mind. You can say he came on to her but it takes two to dance.

And, If the sexes were reversed and it was a man who was taking advantage of a woman with amnesia, people would be up in arms. The only reason most people don't think the situation was creepy is it was a hot chick "taking advantage" of a male PC.

That's a good point. But, you can see that Triss is clearly in love with him, and is utterly heartbroken in the third game when you find her again. So, she did pay for it in the end, but I still chose Triss over Yen, and I still will, unless Yen proves she has at least some redeemable personality traits before the end of the game.

It is true, that on the surface, Yennefer of Vengerberg can seem like a horrible person. She manages her sensitive emotions by lashing out at anyone who hurts them, even if it's no fault of theirs. The stuffed unicorn? It's a symbol of purity and virginity, and just another attempt to overcompensate by 'defiling it', as humorous as I do find it all. She calls others boors, yet she's one of the worst, observing no decorum or civility, unless it serves her purposes.

Dig deeper and you'll probably find someone very likable, with developed ideas, motives, values, and interests. Just keep digging, and you'll find the reason to the madness of her outward appearance.

Triss...remember she's never upsetting a happy, fulfilling relationship. Yen treats Geralt like dirt, and he inflames her behavior (in a sense they get what they deserve from one another). Yen also scares off any competition for him, and in the games, you see Triss grow into a woman who's no longer to be bullied or trifled with. She lacks any major character flaws. Sure, Yen also grows in TW3, but we still see her very worst traits on display late in the game.

Besides, no one owns one another.

And in the end is the one who deeply loves Geralt. But yeah, she's that bitchy in the books as well, the thing is you have 7 books to develop that character. For me Triss even though I like her, it's a secondary compared to Yen, although in the games is one of the main characters.

Yennefer is a terrible person.

But., by sorceress standards, she's a saint.

Not saying much, I know.

I've never read any of the books, though I do own two of them. Didn't know there were seven now though, which means I know what I'll be spending my money on as I do keep meaning to read them.

Top Bottom