Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
I already said in another post that Triss isn't perfect, she certainly has her flaws I just like her a lot more than Yen (who is just way too annoying and bitchy sry)

What book fans often forget is that Triss isn't the same anymore, she has matured and developed (can't believe she was a coward in the books, another reason not to read them)

You are neglecting the games and just judging Triss and her relationship with Geralt based on the books even though you are a fan of both

I wrote my thoughts on games!Triss relationship with Geralt in the Triss thread. I like her as Geralt's close friend and confidant but nothing more. If she was honest with him from the start about their past and Yennefer's existence, and allow him to fall in love with her without resorting to petty manipulation, I'd maybe get on board. But I cannot root for them with how their story unfolded in TW1 and TW2. I am glad they reconciled in TW3, but as far as my Geralt is concerned, the ship has sailed and that's for better.

It doesnt help with their agenda so yea it gets brushed under carpet , Triss also risked her life in order to get mages she doesnt even know out of Novigrad.

We haven't forgotten that or try to brush that away. What were saying is that Triss is so much more glorified in the games. She wouldn't have done that in the books. It is almost as if CDPR throws that in to tell all Triss fans: "Look how brave she is, isn't she amazing? And here look at Yen torturing a corpse".

Just, please, acknowledge the fact that there is more to her than what is presented in the game. So, basically, you are not criticizing the whole picture, which makes the criticism very flawed. Because, your opinions would easily change if you knew the whole picture. That's what I can't stand with all this Yen-hate.
Yes I acknowledge there is more to her character than what we see in game. That does not make our opinions flawed though because this is a forum about the games so only stuff in the games has any meaning to the discussion.

The fact that Yen-love won't acknowledge that the books info has no bearing on this discussion is what I can\t stand. If Yen-lovers would ignore the book info they would be more likely to change their opinion of her. At least as far as how she is as a game character in CDPR representation of the witcher world.

Last edited:
Yennefer is a bitch, pure and simple. A lying, manipulative, selfish, egocentric, ruthless, rude, immoral bitch. She's also quite cunning, so that's a positive, and sometimes pragmatic.

She comes across as a very cold person, oh she's got compassion deep down along with love for Geralt but it's very deep down.

That was my impression of Yennefer from the books, not the game but the books. CDPR represented her quite well I feel. One's terrible past is never a justification for poor behavior.

Meanwhile Triss is quite warm and kind as a person, at least on the surface. She did engage in her own manipulation of Geralt and took advantage of his amnesia, 'tis true, but she also displays a good amount moral decency, selflessness and compassion. Her flaws are her good amount of naivety and idealism. Doesn't justify her lying to Geralt mind you.

Finally Geralt himself shares traits with both of them. He's selfish, but has a good amount of moral decency, he's unfaithful and has lied to his fair share of people but at the same time he's risked his life countless times for others he didn't need to.

From my perspective a relationship with Yennefer will never be a stable one but an abusive, toxic relationship. With Triss, although not perfect by any stretch, it would be a loving relationship.

I already said in another post that Triss isn't perfect, she certainly has her flaws I just like her a lot more than Yen (who is just way too annoying and bitchy sry)

What book fans often forget is that Triss isn't the same anymore, she has matured and developed (can't believe she was a coward in the books, another reason not to read them)

You are neglecting the games and just judging Triss and her relationship with Geralt based on the books even though you are a fan of both

I suggest you to read the books.Who knows?Maybe you'll like Triss even more.She really wasn't as horrible in the books as we describe her,and she had a good character arc.

We haven't forgotten that or try to brush that away. What were saying is that Triss is so much more glorified in the games. She wouldn't have done that in the books. It is almost as if CDPR throws that in to tell all Triss fans: "Look how brave she is, isn't she amazing? And here look at Yen torturing a corpse".

But CDPR also does their best to push the player towards romancing Yen in the W3 , so i guess in the end both sides get something ? :D

Yennefer all the way! Looks much better. Has much more attractive personality. She isn't boring. She is funny. She throws nice and sometimes sarcastic but funny jokes at Geralt.. and actually Geralt throws similar ones back. This could seem bad mannered in others companionship and probably thats why others say stuff like " you are not talking to Geralt " and so on.

I suggest you to read the books.Who knows?Maybe you'll like Triss even more.She really wasn't as horrible in the books as we describe her,and she had a good character arc.

I agree. She is a sweet person in the books. But, immature like a teenager. As I've mentioned earlier way back, she probably suffered from PTSD after Battle of Sodden. She is a coward a long time, but she's ashamed of it. And eventually overcomes it. It was a good arc indeed. I actually like Triss, but in all this arguing it might not come across.

I agree. She is a sweet person in the books. But, immature like a teenager. As I've mentioned earlier way back, she probably suffered from PTSD after Battle of Sodden. She is a coward a long time, but she's ashamed of it. And eventually overcomes it. It was a good arc indeed. I actually like Triss, but in all this arguing it might not come across.

Yea from your earlier posts i didnt think you liked her , in fact you seemed bitter about good she is in the games , i guess that stems from all the yen bashing that has been going on?

But CDPR also does their best to push the player towards romancing Yen in the W3 , so i guess in the end both sides get something ? :D

I think they are pushing us towards Yen because it makes the most sense in accordance to the books. They want to acknowledge the books and continue on it. TW3 is very much a continuation of the books. It is Geralt, Yen and Ciri's story. They are the main characters of the The Witcher universe, despite Triss being a big character in the previous games.

I think they are pushing us towards Yen because it makes the most sense in accordance to the books. They want to acknowledge the books and continue on it. TW3 is very much a continuation of the books. It is Geralt, Yen and Ciri's story. They are the main characters of the The Witcher universe, despite Triss being a big character in the previous games.

Perhaps, Triss did get her time in the spotlight what with W1 and 2 so its only fair that Yen fans get theirs in the last game therefore i dont mind it at all.

Yea from your earlier posts i didnt think you liked her , in fact you seemed bitter about good she is in the games , i guess that stems from all the yen bashing that has been going on?

Yup, I've gotten a bit bitter over all the Yen bashing. But, I like Triss. I read all the books only recently prior to TW3, so I went into the books with the mindset "Who is Yen, give me Triss!"... but the books changed my opinions. Yen is such a better, nuanced and interesting character. And from reading the books, there is no way, whatsoever, that Geralt would ever choose Triss over Yen.

i don't recall anyone saying Yen was the worst person ever. Just not a nice person overall.

I see 'being bitchy/not being nice' as the final argument for Yennefer being worse than Triss and/or not worthy of Geralt's affection. As if we were discussing flat characters defined only be one trait: Yennefer = bitchy, Triss = nice. This is silly.

This I fully accept. It is actually why i chose to romance Yen. i wanted to experience the story as CDPR seemed to be wanting it to unfold.

Perhaps, Triss did get her time in the spotlight what with W1 and 2 so its only fair that Yen fans get theirs in the last game therefore i dont mind it at all.

I suppose that is fair. But, seeing as TW3 is a more personal story for Geralt, well, it's basically Ciri's story (which of course is a continuation from the books), it makes more sense that Yen is the main female character.

I wrote my thoughts on games!Triss relationship with Geralt in the Triss thread. I like her as Geralt's close friend and confidant but nothing more. If she was honest with him from the start about their past and Yennefer's existence, and allow him to fall in love with her without resorting to petty manipulation, I'd maybe get on board. But I cannot root for them with how their story unfolded in TW1 and TW2. I am glad they reconciled in TW3, but as far as my Geralt is concerned, the ship has sailed and that's for better.

And thats the beauty of RPG's having different choices, for my Geralt Triss is his true love and they are living together in Kovir

I see 'being bitchy/not being nice' as the final argument for Yennefer being worse than Triss and/or not worthy of Geralt's affection. As if we were discussing flat characters defined only be one trait: Yennefer = bitchy, Triss = nice. This is silly.

No. What is silly is that Triss is even in this conversation. This is supposed to be a Yen thread, not a Triss vs. Yen thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Yep thats very clear TW3 is more a sequel to the books than the games but I don't think thats a good thing
As a result the previous games are basically rendered meaningless and it damages roleplaying

Yup, I've gotten a bit bitter over all the Yen bashing. But, I like Triss. I read all the books only recently prior to TW3, so I went into the books with the mindset "Who is Yen, give me Triss!"... but the books changed my opinions. Yen is such a better, nuanced and interesting character. And from reading the books, there is no way, whatsoever, that Geralt would ever choose Triss over Yen.

Geralt may not choose book Triss over Yen but who knows what he'd do with in game Triss ? he cares about her a lot even when not romanced and lets face it she is just lovable.

---------- Updated at 02:56 PM ----------

I suppose that is fair. But, seeing as TW3 is a more personal story for Geralt, well, it's basically Ciri's story (which of course is a continuation from the books), it makes more sense that Yen is the main female character.

I agree with that since Geralt is like a father to Ciri and Yen a mother.

Top Bottom