Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
Found that earlier today, might provide some people with lots of information if they have not read the series or not paid enough attention while reading it^^ :

http://witcherwaffling.blogspot.fr/2014/04/this-has-been-bothering-me-so-im-going.html

(hope it's not been already posted here, sorry if so!)

That's a good post. People should definitely read that. It could even be further analyzed. I have discussed Yen many times in this thread, and I compiled my thought in this post in another thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1716138&viewfull=1#post1716138

Now I'm not a book reader, so I'm not going to get the Yen/Geralt thing like they do.

Know what it is that bothered me about Yen? It's that she's so controlling of Geralt and that Geralt just goes along with it. Geralt's such a little bitch when he's with her. It's more Geralt's fault than her fault. Guy's one of the most (if not the most) dangerous men in the world and he can't stand up to his woman for crap. Not even once in a while. He just takes her crap and that's it. Screw that.

---------- Updated at 03:54 PM ----------

If Geralt acted differently towards Yen, I'd probably be more inclined to choose her.

That's a good post. People should definitely read that. It could even be further analyzed. I have discussed Yen many times in this thread, and I compiled my thought in this post in another thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1716138&viewfull=1#post1716138

I won't deny Yen loves Ciri, but that doesn't automatically translate to being the best woman for Geralt. Like how divorced parents love their child, but don't work well together.

Yen is way too vindictive. In the end of Lady of the Lake, she taunts Triss over her getting involved in Lodge schemes that harmed Ciri. Yen wants to pull out Triss' hair, watch Geralt scorn Triss etc. Ciri herself tries to warn Yen to back off on Triss ("This is not a discussion, it is a lecture!"), but Yen gives a threatening stare to Ciri and resumes berating Triss. When the person being "defended" is already telling Yen to cool off, this isn't about protecting Ciri anymore. It's just bashing an enemy and using Cirith ad a prop to justify it.

As for Triss abusing Geralt's amnesia, Triss likely assumed Yen was dead in The Witcher 1. Geralt and Yen both die in the books, and Triss was there. Triss couldn't assume Yen was alive just because Geralt was. Was Triss going to wait forever for a body, that might not even turn up?

When it's clear after The Witcher 2 that Yen is alive, they break up immediately per Witcher 3 opening.

Yeah, it's a fact that people keep throwing as anti-Triss. That she took advantage of Geralt's amnesia. Thing is that no one knew Yennefer was alive until the end of TW2.

Found that earlier today, might provide some people with lots of information if they have not read the series or not paid enough attention while reading it^^ :

http://witcherwaffling.blogspot.fr/2014/04/this-has-been-bothering-me-so-im-going.html

(hope it's not been already posted here, sorry if so!)

Some good points about cheating.Yen's haters love to bring up the fact,that she cheated on Geralt and completely forget about his affair with Fringilla.At least Yen was honest with Geralt.When he asked her about Istredd,she told him everything.Geralt on the other hand lied to Yen about Fringilla.

You are doing God's work here!

This is why I love the most about Yennefer: she's honest to the bones. She won't sugercoat, she will always tell it like it is. She's strong, she's blunt, she's loyal but determined. She is not for the weak men, which Geralt is not. Hey, he's not that nice and kind himself. They are perfect for each other. Old, bitter, grumpy lovebirds. I love them so much.

Yen is way too vindictive. In the end of Lady of the Lake, she taunts Triss over her getting involved in Lodge schemes that harmed Ciri. Yen wants to pull out Triss' hair, watch Geralt scorn Triss etc. Ciri herself tries to warn Yen to back off on Triss ("This is not a discussion, it is a lecture!"), but Yen gives a threatening stare to Ciri and resumes berating Triss. When the person being "defended" is already telling Yen to cool off, this isn't about protecting Ciri anymore. It's just bashing an enemy and using Cirith ad a prop to justify it.

Why doesn't she have right to be vindictive? Doesn't she have the right to be angry and lash out at her best friend, who participated in the hunt and schemes for Ciri, a girl Yen considers her daughter, and seduced Geralt when he and Yen were together?

Why doesn't she have right to be vindictive? Doesn't she have the right to be angry and lash out at her best friend, who participated in the hunt and schemes for Ciri, a girl Yen considers her daughter, and seduced Geralt when he and Yen were together?

Because Ciri herself said to let it go.

Because Ciri herself said to let it go.

Yes, so? That doesn't change the fact that Triss betrayed her best friend. Yennefer needed to express her feelings, in order to clear the air. And Ciri shouldn't stand in the way of that.

Yes, so? That doesn't change the fact that Triss betrayed her best friend. Yennefer needed to express her feelings, in order to clear the air. And Ciri shouldn't stand in the way of that.

Triss was already remorseful. And yes, maybe Ciri shouldn't stand in the way of Yen's need to vent, but people shouldn't think what Yen does after Ciri's warning is to protect Ciri anymore. The hair pulling threats and all that goes way past that, ie people justifying verbal abuse/threats "because I care" kind of thing. People don't accept that sort of thing in the real world.

Again, Triss is already remorseful. Pulling out her hair wouldn't solve anything.

Last edited:

Exactly. Some of Triss' fans like to put her on pedestal and shield from any type of criticism. In reality she betrayed her best friend TWICE, once when she seduced Geralt, and second time when she throw Yen under the bus and refused to help save her AND Geralt. People here like to think Triss was always head over heels in love with Geralt and only Geralt, when in fact it's strongly implied she was sleeping with Philippa when she was in the Lodge. Yes, Yennefer has every rights to be angry at Triss and to voice her opinions.

Triss was already remorseful. And yes, maybe Ciri shouldn't stand in the way of Yen's need to vent, but people shouldn't think what Yen does after Ciri's warning is to protect Ciri anymore. The hair pulling threats and all that goes way past that, ie people justifying verbal abuse/threats "because I care" kind of thing. People don't accept that sort of thing in the real world.

Again, Triss is already remorseful. Pulling out her hair wouldn't solve anything.

I haven't claimed that Yennefer lashed out on Triss in order to protect Ciri. This lashing out scene we are talking about was just two friends clearing the air.

---------- Updated at 05:43 PM ----------

People here like to think Triss was always head over heels in love with Geralt and only Geralt, when in fact it's strongly implied she was sleeping with Philippa when she was in the Lodge.

You know, I didn't actually consider that before you said it now. But, that makes perfect sense! I remember the scene when Yennefer "calls" Triss on the megascope in the middle of the night, and Philippa is there. Naughty, naughty...

You know, I didn't actually consider that before you said it now. But, that makes perfect sense! I remember the scene when Yennefer "calls" Triss on the megascope in the middle of the night, and Philippa is there. Naughty, naughty...

When I first read the books (waaaay in the past when I was a little fellow) it didn't occur to me those two were involved in other ways than strictly professional ones, but upon n-th time rereading it crossed my mind and like you said, made perfect sense. For those who didn't read: Yennefer says Triss' fake niceness upon answering her call via megascope reminds her of how she behaved when her and Geralt were having an affair. Triss gets embarrassed and out of thin air Philippa appears, complimenting Yennefer on her cleverness and insightfulness. What happens then is the worst, basically Triss is too much of a coward to do anything to help Yennefer, and consequently Geralt. If people are accusing Geralt of being whipped by Yennefer, then Triss was on the shortest leash possible.

Well if you like being treated like a dog Yen is the way to go, it's subjective, I wont judge. I dont really prefer any of the girls in TW1-3, they are all clichés somehow. However Triss went through a nice evolution, while CDPR only had one game where they could show Yen.

Well if you like being treated like a dog Yen is the way to go, it's subjective, I wont judge. I dont really prefer any of the girls in TW1-3, they are all clichés somehow. However Triss went through a nice evolution, while CDPR only had one game where they could show Yen.

If by being treated as a dog meaning having a partner who'll support me under any circumstances, risk life helping me and fight side by side with me, then yes, I want to be treated like a dog.

When I first read the books (waaaay in the past when I was a little fellow) it didn't occur to me those two were involved in other ways than strictly professional ones, but upon n-th time rereading it crossed my mind and like you said, made perfect sense. For those who didn't read: Yennefer says Triss' fake niceness upon answering her call via megascope reminds her of how she behaved when her and Geralt were having an affair. Triss gets embarrassed and out of thin air Philippa appears, complimenting Yennefer on her cleverness and insightfulness. What happens then is the worst, basically Triss is too much of a coward to do anything to help Yennefer, and consequently Geralt. If people are accusing Geralt of being whipped by Yennefer, then Triss was on the shortest leash possible.

I just remembered that Sapkowski writes about Triss' "erotic life", in Blood of Elves, and he explains that Triss had had a "fascination with the same sex" before. So, it is very plausible that she did have an affair with Philippa.

Top Bottom