Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
No. What is silly is that Triss is even in this conversation. This is supposed to be a Yen thread, not a Triss vs. Yen thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Actually, the OP compares the two in his post. So, I think some comparison is allowed, if it is justified for the argument. And it does seem that Yen-fans versus non-Yen fans disagree on her character because she is different to Triss, according to non-Yen fans.

---------- Updated at 04:00 PM ----------

Yep thats very clear TW3 is more a sequel to the books than the games but I don't think thats a good thing
As a result the previous games are basically rendered meaningless and it damages roleplaying

I don't think it is a bad thing. I prefer it actually. The events of the previous games still matter. It's not a standalone. And, I don't se TW as a typical RPG like Skyrim. Yes, you can roleplay, but as Geralt. So, you have to roleplay with all the baggage and history of his in mind.

Actually, the OP compares the two in his post. So, I think some comparison is allowed, if it is justified for the argument. And it does seem that Yen-fans versus non-Yen fans disagree on her character because she is different to Triss, according to non-Yen fans.

I don't think it is a bad thing. I prefer it actually. The events of the previous games still matter. It's not a standalone. And, I don't se TW as a typical RPG like Skyrim. Yes, you can roleplay, but as Geralt. So, you have to roleplay with all the baggage and history of his in mind.

Of course book fans prefer it, good for you guys I guess
And the events of the previous games don't matter at all, all the big decisions from TW2 (and even some characters) are just retconned so we have a simplified and straightforward story

TW3 is very good as a standalone (and for book fans of course) but fails as a sequel to TW2 that much one can't deny

Geralt may not choose book Triss over Yen but who knows what he'd do with in game Triss ? he cares about her a lot even when not romanced and lets face it she is just lovable.

Yes, he cares about her very much, but as a friend, both in the books and games. She did help with Ciri during a time, I don't think he would ever forget that. And, there are probably feelings left from TW1 and TW2, but when his memory came back he realized that Yen is his one true love. That is what I firmly believe.

Yes, he cares about her very much, but as a friend, both in the books and games. She did help with Ciri during a time, I don't think he would ever forget that. And, there are probably feelings left from TW1 and TW2, but when his memory came back he realized that Yen is his one true love. That is what I firmly believe.

That is your opinion as a fan of Yen though, nothing actually indicated in game that he only sees Triss as a friend and that he realized that Yen was his one and only. All of it comes down to the dialogues the player picks really.

I think its important to say that "your" Geralt believes that
These are RPG games after all and while Geralt isn't a complete blank slate one can still RP him
Hell some didn't choose Triss or Yen and went for the Geralt is forever alone ending

That is your opinion as a fan of Yen though, nothing actually indicated in game that he only sees Triss as a friend and that he realized that Yen was his one and only. All of it comes down to the dialogues the player picks really.

Yes, of course. That is my opinion, and also how book-Geralt would think. But, the players can steer him in whatever way they please, of course.

W3 wouldn't exist without W2... and the same can be said about W1...

Also the W3 game, is a continuation to the W2 game... the books exist to provide backstory and they only took what they wanted to from them...

In the GAME W2, Geralt recovers his memory and imo is one of the reasons he spares Letho. (he cared for Yen when Geralt joined the wild hunt)

Therefore, with that knowledge in mind, GAME Geralt's sets out to find Yennefer. And that's (inferred, not mentioned anywhere so could be wrong) why GAME Geralt breaks up with Triss.

Then GAME Geralt reunited with Yen and through US the players, has to choose between the both of them.

W3 wouldn't exist without W2... and the same can be said about W1...

Also the W3 game, is a continuation to the W2 game... the books exist to provide backstory and they only took what they wanted to from them...

In the GAME W2, Geralt recovers his memory and imo is one of the reasons he spares Letho. (he cared for Yen when Geralt joined the wild hunt)

Therefore, with that knowledge in mind, GAME Geralt's sets out to find Yennefer. And that's (inferred, not mentioned anywhere so could be wrong) why GAME Geralt breaks up with Triss.

Then GAME Geralt reunited with Yen and through US the players, has to choose between the both of them.

We dont know who broke up with whom first of all and second of course Geralt would go looking for Yen after remembering her, just like he would Zoltan or Dandelion , doesnt mean he wants to sleep with them

Yup, which basically means that CDPR already in TW2 were telling us that Yennefer is your one true love, it's with her you should be. It does feel like the Triss romance in TW3 was more of a fan-service, and that they didn't really want Geralt to be with Triss, because it went against their own vision of the story. And, I do believe we should respect their vision.

Yup, which basically means that CDPR already in TW2 were telling us that Yennefer is your one true love, it's with her you should be. It does feel like the Triss romance in TW3 was more of a fan-service, and that they didn't really want Geralt to be with Triss, because it went against their own vision of the story. And, I do believe we should respect their vision.

I admire your dedication to Yen lol , truly , just because of you i will romance her in one of my playthrough :D

It is clear their vision was to have Yen as the center of the story, for more info inquire that other huge thread :)

Yet along the way they remembered this is a game about choices and so they added the Triss part..

And like @Kinsz85 said it doesn't necessarily mean he wants to rekindle the flame, that's up to us to decide. We can either reject her at every point or go full out with her. That's the beauty of it.

Nice try
I doubt that they planned this far ahead what was the point of being able to romance Triss in both games?

In TW3 its clear that they want us to romance Yen, seeing as she is forced on us at every chance possible, the Triss romance was half assed and terrible in comparison
Thankfully my Geralt doesn't care about their "vision" and still romanced Triss

We should have gotten a real love triangle in TW3 and equal screentime for both characters

Last edited:

Good points both. It's actually why I romanced Yen. Well, that and to not miss content.

Nice try
I doubt that they planned this far ahead what was the point of being able to romance Triss in both games?

In TW3 its clear that they want us to romance Yen, seeing as she is forced on us at every chance possible, the Triss romance was half assed and terrible in comparison
Thankfully my Geralt doesn't care about their "vision" and still romanced Triss

We should have gotten a real love triangle in TW3 and equal screentime for both characters
+1

Then it may have been better to not even allow Triss as a love interest in TW3. There would by outcry over that but if they actually communicated the reasoning to the player it might not have been as bad as the current outcry over the Triss romance. I would have preferred no Triss romance to a lack luster one that we got. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: I do agree with others who have said there should have been a stronger love triangle arc instead of what we got though. That would be even better than what I suggested.

Last edited:
I think they handled her correctly. Stayed true to her character and didn't portray a love story that is always rainbows and sunshine. If anyone doubts their feelings for Yen they should just play Prescilla's song.

Then it may have been better to not even allow Triss as a love interest in TW3. There would by outcry over that but if they actually communicated the reasoning to the player it might not have been as bad as the current outcry over the Triss romance. I would have preferred no Triss romance to a lack luster one that we got. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: I do agree with others who have said there should have been a stronger love triangle arc instead of what we got though. That would be even better than what I suggested.

Yes to a stronger love triangle arc. Definite no to idea of a forced Yen romance and not allowing for Triss romance at all. I'm rather frustrated at the level of content for Triss vs Yen but i value every second of that content and i think i would have quit in anger despite the excellent story if Geralt was shoehorned towards Yen and blocked off from Triss.

Geralt would never choose book Triss. Perhaps that statement is true. However, this is NOT the books. IMO, I don't care about Yen or Triss's past transgressions. A person's past is what makes them who they are in the present and if you love that person presently, then what does it matter what they did X time ago?

The fact remains is that we can roleplay Geralt however we like so the argument of what book Geralt would or wouldn't do is moot. The way I see it, people don't just lose their memory for years then go back to being the old person they were beforehand. You're free to roleplay him as going right back tot he same life he lived before with the same love he had. there is nothing wrong with that. However, I chose to roleplay Geralt as a man who has changed somewhat from his ordeal. He may have gotten his memories back but that doesn't magically erase the experiences he had during his memory loss. I don't see my Geralt just falling back into his old life and love entirely.

My Geralt doesn't really know what to think of Yen when he firsts encounters her but he knows he still has feelings for her. But at the same thing he's changed. This is why I have Geralt wear his own clothes to the wake and not ones Yen set out for him. Perhaps past Geralt would have donned the clothes she set to make her happy but once again, My Geralt has changed. He's able to see Yen with clearer eyes so to speak. It doesn't mean he thinks she's a horrible person, and he still enjoys her company...in small doses. But is she the love of his life? Not to this new Geralt.

This Geralt couldn't let Triss just sail away and that's all that matters.

Learning that Yen never bothered to lift a finger to aid Geralt when he needed her the most only cements it for me as the player. I think Geralt and Yen look good together and they both love Ciri. But that doesn't automatically means Yen is what's best for present Geralt. It doesn't mean that my Geralt has to think she is what's best for him in the long run. Which he doesn't.

The lack of Triss content does suck though.

Well, that is your opinion. But, you try your best to denounce Yen, the books and TW1 in every post, in order to elevate Triss.

---------- Updated at 02:15 PM ----------

No, she is not like that in the books. She is the one who is too afraid to do anything in the books, while Yennefer risks her life trying to find Ciri. Triss hid behind the Lodge all the time, and the Lodge had sick plans for Ciri. And at the end of Lady of the Lake Triss even considers running away from the fighting when Yen is wounded and Geralt is dying. As I have discussed way back in this thread.

See you think that's relevant. But it isn't. I don't give a cr*p about how she was in the books, the games take place AFTER the books. So she changed, became a better person that takes risks and genuinely love Geralt. CDP had 3 games to evolve her character, her attitude and her story. You can say whatever you want about how she was in the books, point is, who cares. These are The Witcher games. I love how some of you delude themselves into thinking that reading the books put you on a higher level when it comes to judge who the characters truly are and how they behave. Guess what, i played the games and read the books and i like Triss 1000x more than Yen. Sue me.

Geralt would never choose book Triss. Perhaps that statement is true. However, this is NOT the books. IMO, I don't care about Yen or Triss's past transgressions. A person's past is what makes them who they are in the present and if you love that person presently, then what does it matter what they did X time ago?

The fact remains is that we can roleplay Geralt however we like so the argument of what book Geralt would or wouldn't do is moot. The way I see it, people don't just lose their memory for years then go back to being the old person they were beforehand. You're free to roleplay him as going right back tot he same life he lived before with the same love he had. there is nothing wrong with that. However, I chose to roleplay Geralt as a man who has changed somewhat from his ordeal. He may have gotten his memories back but that doesn't magically erase the experiences he had during his memory loss. I don't see my Geralt just falling back into his old life and love entirely.

My Geralt doesn't really know what to think of Yen when he firsts encounters her but he knows he still has feelings for her. But at the same thing he's changed. This is why I have Geralt wear his own clothes to the wake and not ones Yen set out for him. Perhaps past Geralt would have donned the clothes she set to make her happy but once again, My Geralt has changed. He's able to see Yen with clearer eyes so to speak. It doesn't mean he thinks she's a horrible person, and he still enjoys her company...in small doses. But is she the love of his life? Not to this new Geralt.

This Geralt couldn't let Triss just sail away and that's all that matters.

Learning that Yen never bothered to lift a finger to aid Geralt when he needed her the most only cements it for me as the player. I think Geralt and Yen look good together and they both love Ciri. But that doesn't automatically means Yen is what's best for present Geralt. It doesn't mean that my Geralt has to think she is what's best for him in the long run. Which he doesn't.
Oh, thank god.

Last edited:
Well, I love some bitchy women. Yen can be an ice queen during most of the time, but her special moments with Geralt is just... ugh, love it.

Top Bottom