Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
See you think that's relevant. But it isn't. I don't give a cr*p about how she was in the books, the games take place AFTER the books. So she changed, became a better person that takes risks and genuinely love Geralt. CDP had 3 games to evolve her character, her attitude and her story. You can say whatever you want about how she was in the books, point is, who cares. These are The Witcher games. I love how some of you delude themselves into thinking that reading the books put you on a higher level when it comes to judge who the characters truly are and how they behave. Guess what, i played the games and read the books and i like Triss 1000x more than Yen. Sue me.

It is very relevant. You might not think so, but many others do. Knowing the history of the characters enriches the experience, because you know more about them. And, I have never claimed that Triss hasn't changed in the games, she has. And you know what, knowing her history from the books makes that change even better and more meaningful.

Well, I love some bitchy women. Yen can be an ice queen during most of the time, but her special moments with Geralt is just... ugh, love it.
But Yen is not one of those girls who act like bitches because they want to test your character and see if you can handle them, but really are sweethearts under that bitchy attitude. She's a full, real, proper bitch. You probably never dated a girl like Yen, i have and i assure you, arguing about everything isn't fun. Yen makes me laugh, but she's a character from a game.

It is very relevant. You might not think so, but many others do. Knowing the history of the characters enriches the experience, because you know more about them. And, I have never claimed that Triss hasn't changed in the games, she has. And you know what, knowing her history from the books makes that change even better and more meaningful.
We seem to be on the same page here, that makes difficult for me to understand why Geralt shouldn't like Triss in TW3 after everything that happened in the first two games then.

PS: about their romance in TW3, i'm in act 2 so i don't know the whole thing but from what i've seen i think CDP gave more space to Yen because they had time to develop Triss and Geralt story during the first two games. They fell in love and would've run together at the end of W2, but people who didn't read the books know absolutely nothing about the woman Geralt loved for 20 years. So one should feel more like a story that is already at a certain point, and you need to choose if you want to start from there and see what happens, while the other is about two people that need to retrieve what they had. So it's only natural that Yen had more screen time, that and the fact that you're looking for her "daughter"... This doesn't mean that CDP handled Triss badly or that they want you to choose Yen though. At least from my understanding, from what i've seen in the game up until act 2.

Last edited:
So it's only natural that Yen had more screen time, this doesn't mean that CDP handled Triss badly or that they want you to choose Yen. At least from my understanding, from what i've seen in the game up until act 2.

You won't see any more anyway...

except... Well?

I think they handled her excellently - felt exactly like the book Yen. Could've used a bit more animosity towards Triss after all the shit Triss pulled in the books though. She trusted her far too easily, especially after she pulled more crap on Geralt in the first two games and Yen seemingly knows about it.

You won't see any more anyway...

except... Well?

Well i kind of expected this, and it's pretty shit*y. Just like the end of act 2 imho, but that's another story for another thread. One about your (in)ability to influence the story, but i'll talk about this after i beat the game. Hopefully it will prove me wrong in the meantime.

But Yen is not one of those girls who act like bitches because they want to test your character and see if you can handle them, but really are sweethearts under that bitchy attitude. She's a full, real, proper bitch.

Here we disagree with each other greatly. Why do you consider her a bitch? Because she tells Geralt what to wear and do? You said you had read the books, so then you should know that there is much more to Yennefer beneath that facade.

I think they handled her excellently - felt exactly like the book Yen. Could've used a bit more animosity towards Triss after all the shit Triss pulled in the books though. She trusted her far too easily, especially after she pulled more crap on Geralt in the first two games and Yen seemingly knows about it.

I agree, but on the other hand I am glad she is a better person and forgave Triss. Shows her maturity and distance. Besides, some haters would tear her apart for being 'bitchy', as,. you know, you should just move on when your best friend uses the love of your life for her selfish purposes.

Here we disagree with each other greatly. Why do you consider her a bitch? Because she tells Geralt what to wear and do? You said you had read the books, so then you should know that there is much more to Yennefer beneath that facade.
Yes of course, people are not monodimensional and Yen is a very well written character because she isn't either. But that's not a facade, she has more than one side but this doesn't mean that she only pretends to be a bitch. There's a reason why she and Geralt fight... not all the time, but a lot. Why their relationship had so many ups and downs, although Geralt has his part in this for sure. At least that's my interpretation of her and of their relationship.

I agree, but on the other hand I am glad she is a better person and forgave Triss. Shows her maturity and distance. Besides, some haters would tear her apart for being 'bitchy', as,. you know, you should just move on when your best friend uses the love of your life for her selfish purposes.
Except that's not what happened. She's so mature that she threw a bed out of the window and literally sent Geralt flying when he confronted her about this.

Last edited:
But that's not a facade, she has more than one side but this doesn't mean that she only pretends to be a bitch.

But it is a facade. She tries so hard to hide her true emotions from people that she puts on this facade that basically repels people. I don't know if you read my analysis of her in the other thread, so I'm linking it cause I don't want to repeat myself: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1716138&viewfull=1#post1716138

And there is also one really good and telling quote from Blood of Elves, that describes Yennefer:

In a minute she’s going to ask why I didn’t like her, thought Ciri. No, she’s too clever to ask such a question. She’ll dryly draw my attention to my grammar and ask when I started using the past tense. And I’ll tell her. I’ll be just as dry as she is, I’ll parody her tone of voice, let her know that I, too, can pretend to be cold, unfeeling and indifferent, ashamed of my feelings and emotions. I’ll tell her everything. I want to, I have to tell her everything. I want her to know everything before we leave Melitele’s Temple. Before we part to finally meet the one I miss. The one she misses. The one who no doubt misses us both. I want to tell her that…
I’ll tell her. It’s enough for her to ask.
The magician turned from the window and smiled. She did not ask anything

Dunno. Yen is someone I would expect to hold onto her grudge. Especially for good reasons.

And Triss keeps pilling on in the first two games. But you are probably right, that would probably create even more shitstorm.

But Yen is not one of those girls who act like bitches because they want to test your character and see if you can handle them, but really are sweethearts under that bitchy attitude. She's a full, real, proper bitch. You probably never dated a girl like Yen, i have and i assure you, arguing about everything isn't fun. Yen makes me laugh, but she's a character from a game.

We seem to be on the same page here, that makes difficult for me to understand why Geralt shouldn't like Triss in TW3 after everything that happened in the first two games then.

PS: about their romance in TW3, i'm in act 2 so i don't know the whole thing but from what i've seen i think CDP gave more space to Yen because they had time to develop Triss and Geralt story during the first two games. They fell in love and would've run together at the end of W2, but people who didn't read the books know absolutely nothing about the woman Geralt loved for 20 years. So one should feel more like a story that is already at a certain point, and you need to choose if you want to start from there and see what happens, while the other is about two people that need to retrieve what they had. So it's only natural that Yen had more screen time, that and the fact that you're looking for her "daughter"... This doesn't mean that CDP handled Triss badly or that they want you to choose Yen though. At least from my understanding, from what i've seen in the game up until act 2.

I never said she was testing Geralt, that was never the point, and arguing wasn't as well. I'm not into sweet or insufferable cuteness in romances, that's why when it comes to gaming, my favorite characters are Miranda from Mass Effect, Morrigan in Dragon Age, and Yennefer in The Witcher. They all share a very specific trait, they're strong, sometimes cold, have quite the ego and aren't running after a man, or desiring one 24 hours per day, basically.

Whatever, Yen is still a bitch, no matter what fanboys try to excuse.

And FYI, there's plenty of female characters that had tragic background yet still didn't turn out to be unbearable bitches.

Dunno. Yen is someone I would expect to hold onto her grudge. Especially for good reasons.

And Triss keeps pilling on in the first two games. But you are probably right, that would probably create even more shitstorm.

Finally someone posted this infamous excerpt from the books, thank you very much Sir!

And FYI, there's plenty of female characters that had tragic background yet still didn't turn out to be unbearable bitches.

And there's plenty who did, so what are you trying to say here anyways? Justifying why you don't like her? That's fine, it's your opinion.

And there's plenty who did, so what are you trying to say here anyways? Justifying why you don't like her? That's fine, it's your opinion.

Point is that she didn't have to turn out to be so?

You know what, I'd not mind Yen so much if the game hadn't forced her on us, oh and not let us have the option to kill her, like it did with Keira.

Or just let us have the option to tell her "Go fuck yourself, you selfish arrogant bitch!". Or something to that effect.

Last edited:

Careful book readers will get salty ..

---------- Updated at 08:14 PM ----------

Point is that she didn't have to turn out to be so?

You know what, I'd not mind Yen so much if the game hadn't forced her on us, oh and not let us have the option to kill her, like it did with Keira.

I agree I absolutely hated how much she was forced on us, even if we didn't romance her it was like a romance was going on
Its as if CDPR forgot that TW3 was a RPG game

My Geralt was acting like a very desperate idiot around her and I didn't like that at all

acting like a bitch=being a bitch. so there's really no distinction there. some people are into masochism, testing people, etc. i just think it's a bit pathetic and is a sure indicator of mental instability.

Careful book readers will get salty ..

---------- Updated at 08:14 PM ----------

I agree I absolutely hated how much she was forced on us, even if we didn't romance her it was like a romance was going on
Its as if CDPR forgot that TW3 was a RPG game

My Geralt was acting like a very desperate idiot around her and I didn't like that at all

Triss was also forced on us in previous games.

Triss was also forced on us in TW1, 1/3 of TW2, then trashed in TW3

Fixed.

Not a Triss fan BTW, but at least she got quite a lot of thrashing in the games, Yen's so far not got what she deserved, in the game. And even after breaking up in "The Last Wish" the game still treat you and her like a couple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom