Is it me, or is the Witcher 3 really toned down in the sex department? (sorta spoilers?)

+
I'm all for more great scenes like Triss and the elven baths in Witcher 2 which set the bar. I enjoyed the Triss Lighthouse scene which very much had the same humorous feel even if the uniqueness of the sex scene itself was rather less perfect.
I'm sure there were considerations made regarding the degree of nudity, hence the presence of knickers. I'm less fussed as they kept their willingess to show nudity during the story, whether funny like the skellige women with Ciri in the steam room in a towel was a hoot or the brazen siren nature of the crones before Ciri attacks them. Now if they started to cleanse their games completely i'd be hollering loudly but if this gesture is the extent of their movement i'll be accepting.

I'm all for more great scenes like Triss and the elven baths in Witcher 2 which set the bar. I enjoyed the Triss Lighthouse scene which very much had the same humorous feel even if the uniqueness of the sex scene itself was rather less perfect.
I'm sure there were considerations made regarding the degree of nudity, hence the presence of knickers. I'm less fussed as they kept their willingess to show nudity during the story, whether funny like the skellige women with Ciri in the steam room in a towel was a hoot or the brazen siren nature of the crones before Ciri attacks them. Now if they started to cleanse their games completely i'd be hollering loudly but if this gesture is the extent of their movement i'll be accepting.

I agree that for scenes with many people like the bathhouse or the scene you mentioned it makes sense that they are fully or partially covered. But I find it odd and somewhat jarring after playing TW2 to tone down the nudity in scenes where it is just 2 lovers alone.

Yes, Witcher 3 was a tad disappointing compared to Witcher 2 in the sex department. The scenes were far tamer as well. I sincerely hope this is addressed somehow because I do not want CDPR to go down the diluted lame Hollywood scenes that Mass Effect and Dragon Age games are know for. You are are not Bioware, you are better. You are CDPR. Pushing the boundaries and not giving a damn to social justice weaseling is what you guy are about. IMO, Witcher 2 set the bar for sex scenes and I think if there is to be any Enhanced Editions or what have you for Witcher 3, they update the scenes and expand the romances to include people like the herbalist and Var Attre's daughter. Otherwise, the game is outstandingly brilliant.

At this stage I'd argue DA:I had better sex scenes and certainly it's own fair share of nudity.

I would respectfully disagree that TW2 has better scenes. The only exception was the Triss one.

Seems that the only sex scene that's good in TW3 is the second Yennefer one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIK0117iBaU

Last edited:
I've met what seems like several dozen succubi and haven't been able to score with any of them. It just doesn't feel like the Witcher anymore. Took forever to unlock my first card in this one, and had to pay for it (not talking about gwent). Geralt has definitely lost his... whatever it was that made all the forest spirits, lake ladies, barmaids, vampire sisters and what have you find him so irresistible. Honestly, I preferred the collectible cards rather than the elaborate cutscenes that make it almost as awkward as watching a n episode of game of thrones to play in the living room, but either way I've gotten so used to trying to get a full deck that this iteration has been pretty disappointing in that regard with the relatively limited conquests. Up until the Witcher 3, Geralt lived with one haunting regret- never collecting Shani's card in W1. Now add a plague maiden fiasco and a curse-murder-suicide disasterous outcome to that list, and all those succubi who got away. Still, the game is fun. Hopefully they'll patch in a few dozen liaisons in the prologue to bring the game more in-synch with what we've come to expect from the Witcher series.

H... L... A... K... B... R...

HLAKBR

That about sums up the sex scenes in Witcher 3.... sadly :(

The only sex scene I like from the whole game! It had that funny edge the elven bath scene did in TW2, with the elves and dwarf above.

EDIT: I'm not saying the lighthouse scene was good, just that I liked parts of it. If you're going to have a sex scene, just have a sex scene, not a suggestion of one.

Last edited:
I started the game expecting it would contain another revolutionary portrayal of sex scenes in video games like the elven bath scene in TW2, but I came back disappointed. I might understand if CDPR cut some content for the extra encounters with women in the side quests (though I also don't mind if they stay), but for Geralt's love, Triss and Yennefer? The elven bath scene in TW2 was passionate, playful, and romantic at the same time it blew my mind. I only got a chuckle at the end of the lighthouse scene, the rest of the scene I was just raising my eyebrows. Watched Yennefer's scenes on youtube and they're not bad but still very tame. You guys can do better than that.

I started the game expecting it would contain another revolutionary portrayal of sex scenes in video games like the elven bath scene in TW2, but I came back disappointed. I might understand if CDPR cut some content for the extra encounters with women in the side quests (though I also don't mind if they stay), but for Geralt's love, Triss and Yennefer? The elven bath scene in TW2 was passionate, playful, and romantic at the same time it blew my mind. I only got a chuckle at the end of the lighthouse scene, the rest of the scene I was just raising my eyebrows. Watched Yennefer's scenes on youtube and they're not bad but still very tame. You guys can do better than that.

They can do better and probably did. I'm sure the sex scenes and nudity exist. But I'd say due to the worldwide release and potential negative pr (which likley still makes people want to try their product), they removed the full frontal nudity and limited the sex to characters you haven't done a favour for.
The last one is probably the fault of my countries (Australia) censorship. Sorry.

The Witcher 2 had any sex as a reward quests removed over here.
One of the devs did say that they were trying to avoid sex as a reward (probably so people dont complain that they are missing out). So everyone misses out?
That SHOULDN'T mean everyone else has to miss out. Get cranky about it everyone, I know I would.

I have to agree the sex scenes are actually very lazy

( it's always the same sex position)

the only diffrends is begining and end ( but the middle part were you see the soft core actually sex) is the same each time

and i think that's very lazy when we heard about how much better it would be and how they recorded what 16 hours of stuff

( witch i call bullshit)

The game's sex scenes don't have to be vulgar or very explicit. But damn it, use slightly different animation on different characters... not always the god damn "I slide my hand down your back/ass animation", no matter if it is a prostitute or a main character. I haven't seen the Yennifer scenes yet, but the rest... it is pretty much always the same...

Even the whores in W2 had more variation in terms of movement.

Well that was to be expected since W3 went big into the console market where the average player's age is considerably lower than PC's....don't wanna lose potential teen customers to extreme nudity :p

I hope this isn't the case seeing as it is rated M and these people should not even be playing it. I would find it dubious if they took sales from that age group into consideration.

---------- Updated at 06:00 PM ----------

I'm new to the witcher series, beat witcher 3.

Watched the witcher 2 scenes, and yep that wouldn't be acceptable if it were on consoles where it get widespread exposure. I almost wished it stayed PC exclusive in that case, but then again I wouldn't have been able to play W3.

Dialogue was awkward af though.

I don't understand this! Witcher 2 was also on console and as far as I am aware the sex scenes were not cut from that version. Correct me if i'm wrong? They could have cut them but they didn't. To be honest though I don't get the attitude towards sex in games in general. Sex is a no no but outrageous violence is ok? Strange attitude.

Last edited:
To be honest, I could not care less about sex in games. It barely feels 'real', everything looks stiff.
Re the topic: I do agree, TW2 was better in that department.

I agee with the OP and am disappointed that CDPR does not comment on this.

At least aknowledge that you had to do certain compromises.

Yeah, after Witcher 2 it's a huge letdown. Never thought I would see pg 13/bioware sex scenes in a CDP game. Guess that's the price for trying to reach the "mainstream"
But at least I can see people being tortured, decapitated, hanged,murdered, burned alive and there is blood and gore everywhere with body parts flying all over the screen.

I don't understand this! Witcher 2 was also on console and as far as I am aware the sex scenes were not cut from that version. Correct me if i'm wrong? They could have cut them but they didn't. To be honest though I don't get the attitude towards sex in games in general. Sex is a no no but outrageous violence is ok? Strange attitude.

That's a pretty typical attitude in America - and yes, I am American. For some reason our country doesn't have problems with everyone carrying around a Glock, but if we see a boob in video games or movies, it might corrupt our immortal souls. Must have something to do with our puritanical roots.

Pretty surprised to see that sort of thing coming out of CDPR, though, since they are a Polish company. Use the freecam on Triss' sex scene in Wild Hunt - they took something that was much better, censored it, and then presented the player with the generic "I slide my hand down your back/ass animation" that @CoconutChriss referred to above.

Top Bottom