Is it me, or is the Witcher 3 really toned down in the sex department? (sorta spoilers?)

+

Guest 3842753

I've just seen the Kaer Morhen love scene and asked myself the same question. It was probably a clumsy attempt to replicate the atmosphere of the terrific TW2 bathhouse scene, but with TW3's turn towards prudishness.

The toned down erotic content of the game is an especially unpleasant surprise in light of the exaggerated gore during swordplays, including the gratuitous slow-mo decapitations and dismembering. With this, CDPR has safely subscribed to the norms of the predominant majority of popular culture, in which a proper sex scene is deemed just damn too risky. Nothing new under the sun or even surprising, just disappointing. I don't even mind the over-the-top orgasm of violence, but it strikes me quite hypocritical when the game's sexual content is hiding under the cover of PG-13.

Is this the biggest problem of the game? Not by a long stretch, IMHO. But as it has been pointed out before, regression rarely works in favor of quality.

The hypocrisy is indeed disappointing though not surprising. Not only is gory combat acceptable, the prevalence of scenes of intensely vile brutality, depravity and grotesqueness are also allowed e.g. figures impaled on stakes through their orifices, the mutilated prostitutes in Junior's pad, etc. And yet, a few extra seconds of explicit intimacy is off limits.

The hypocrisy is indeed disappointing though not surprising. Not only is gory combat acceptable, the prevalence of scenes of intensely vile brutality, depravity and grotesqueness are also allowed e.g. figures impaled on stakes through their orifices, the mutilated prostitutes in Junior's pad, etc. And yet, a few extra seconds of explicit intimacy is off limits.

Although the game does sensationalize some of these phenomena, I think that most of them do have a rightful place in a story taking place amidst a destructive war. I completely agree, however, that throwing explicit scenes of gore and torture around freely is ridiculous, especially when the very same game prides itself on targeting a mature audience and the thing it is the most afraid of is exploring its characters' sexuality.
Releasing a DLC with extra moves for gory dismemberment is grand, just god forbid they show a glimpse of someone's pubic hair. How could a mature audience possibly survive such a tasteless transgression?

Anyway, this argument has been made a thousand times before and we're all accustomed to it from popular culture. I guess CDPR are also pretty damn far from those rebels who are free...

Last edited:

Guest 3842753

Although the game does sensationalize some of these phenomena, I think that most of them do have a rightful place in a story taking place amidst a destructive war. I completely agree, however, that throwing explicit scenes of gore and torture around freely is ridiculous, especially when the very same game prides itself on targeting a mature audience and the thing it is the most afraid of is exploring its characters' sexuality.
Releasing a DLC with extra moves for gory dismemberment is grand, just god forbid they show a glimpse of someone's pubic hair. How could a mature audience possibly survive such a tasteless transgression?

Anyway, this argument has been made a thousand times before and we're all accustomed to it from popular culture. I guess CDPR are also pretty damn far from those rebels who are free...

Agreed. If CDPR had to tone down sex scenes to comply with censors, that's one thing. But a mature-themed game like this that does not hold back on some of the more gruesome aspects (and rightly so given the plots in this game) should neither hold back on the more intimate stuff as this is a character driven title afterall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with you. I was looking forward to Triss scen actually, since she was my choice in both witcher 1 and 2. But the scene where no were close to witcher 2's. All of Witcher 3's sex scenes where mediocre at best compared to witcher 2's.

I were surprised over the fact that in a lot of them the clothes were still on, on the characters. This is a typical bioware way of doing it. Not what I wanted or want from a CDPR product.

But I guess the Political correctness/feminism/sjw is making its way over to CDPR also. And that's bad. I want mature content for mature players from them. That is what I expect and expected. But that may just be me.

Then we have the body models..... Yeah no..... sigh.....

Last edited:
We need a brothel in Oxenfurt (in the books, the city was known by it's "pleasures" and in the Nilfgardiaan Camp (the soldiers need some diversion). And another one in Skellige. And more options to romance some of the characters (Tomira and Corine Tilly, for example)

Agree it looks that CDP was afraid of censors and as a result romance scenes weren't as bold as in TW2 (even TW3 unicorn scene is way more less bold than elven batch from TW2.

I just wish the sex scenes where as good as the unicorn scene. No underwear and crap, no scene shifting to people talking (which the bath scene in TW2 did) no animal analogies ect

So far I've noticed a total of 2 body models. Petite, and somewhat chubby (chubby found only in a bathhouse, perhaps a brothel I haven't visited yet?). While this is okay for the normal rabble of brothel courtesans and strumpets, We suddenly see that Triss, Yen, Keira, and that Nordic chick all seem to share the same petite body model with the same pair of tits.

While I agree with most of what you've said, I don't think this is true. When you watch the Sex-Scene with Triss and Yen, they stay close together while drinking whine. There you see that Triss definitely has bigger Tits than Yen.

And on Nexus there are some Mods, with "different" :whistle:Outfits for Ciri. She has a way more muscular Body than the others.

IF you are going to HAVE sex scenes, with NUDITY, and brothels etc....why not go all out? All or nothing.

Yeah, the sex department could have been much much stronger. My 2cents.

"We suddenly see that Triss, Yen, Keira, and that Nordic chick all seem to share the same petite body model with the same pair of tits."
"Not a bush in sight in the Witcher 3"
"I hope Project Red will be more open in future expansions"

Tit-model and bush style DLC coming in Q1 2016.
:nice:

I forget, at which point the Witcher became a sex-sim?

The sex in the third game is done much more naturally than it has been in the others, in the first game every woman was falling head over heels for Geralt, which is odd considering he is a mutant, a social oddity and, in some peoples eyes, a monster.

Yenna/Triss are enough in my opinion, I didn't go with any of the one offs because Geralt has much bigger problems...

Maybe these are the reasons why women falling head over heels? Maybe they are tired of regular peasants?

Geralt is unique experience, after all... :D

I am sure curiosity is what caused about 90% of the Sorceress' to have given him a go, or it was just to make Yennefer and Triss mad, or both.

But when Geralt is sleeping around with Princess' you know that's a little too far.

I forget, at which point the Witcher became a sex-sim?

The sex in the third game is done much more naturally than it has been in the others, in the first game every woman was falling head over heels for Geralt, which is odd considering he is a mutant, a social oddity and, in some peoples eyes, a monster.

Yenna/Triss are enough in my opinion, I didn't go with any of the one offs because Geralt has much bigger problems...

I prefer the bawdiness of the second game, it was more brazen in a number of ways, though I agree in the final game it's time for him to settle down or go his own way. I do like the one scene in TW3 where Geralt tries to go a second time and the elf pushes him away. The look on his face is priceless.

Yes i still think the differences in sex department between witcher 2 and witcher 3 are suspect to consider a broader and different audience than from prior games..

After finishing the game however, the main story romances and the brothels were a letdown for sure (you saw it coming with the story and the brothels were console censored), but i was quite happy with the sex department after completing 2 sidequests, iron maiden on skellege and the epic gwent quest.. both of which the npc's and how you ended up sexing them were great. Sure the animations were the exactly the same, but the overall experiences (theres more to a girl than just her animations after all) were awesome.

Yeah do those sidequests and your opinion of the sex department should improve.

Top Bottom