Is it possible to downgrade from 1.5 to 1.31?

+
The offline installers on GoG.com have been updated to 1.5, and there seems to be no archive for previous versions of the game. Just the upgrade patches.

I'd have left auto-update off if I knew this patch would invalidate my build. I'm 100 hours into a completionist playthrough.

Edit:

Solution offered by someone on reddit. For reference:

1645280702327.png

Last edited:
I didn't try it myself, but it worked no so long ago (and if I remember, only it's visible if the "auto-update" option is disabled)
With GOG you have to install the game and the patches you want manually (IE not let GOG Galaxy download and install things for you). You can find these game and patch installers:
- in the extras section of the game page in GOG Galaxy
or
- go to https://www.gog.com/account click on the game you want to download and scroll down to where it says "Download offline backup game installers"

Yes. I'm aware.

And as I've just said and quoted myself saying afterward, they've already replaced the files available there with 1.5.

You may ask if anyone has the game's "folder" in version 1.31. Those of us who bought the game on GOG have the DRM-free game, so it could work in your PC without having to install it again

Out of curiosity: What's stopping you from completing the game in 1.5? My savegame transferred just fine.

Solution offered by someone on reddit. For reference:

1645280702327.png
Humm, it seem to me that is what I written. Older versions are only visible/available if you uncheck (disable) auto-update in the extra option off the game.
Anyway, nice you find a way to do it.

The rebalance change some of your items rarity, mods slots and all mods.
They also moved a tonne of the crafting specs and drops, so if you're in a partial playthrough and looking for a completionist result, you can no longer achieve it.

You're better finishing 1.31 on 1.31, and then updating.

They also moved a tonne of the crafting specs and drops, so if you're in a partial playthrough and looking for a completionist result, you can no longer achieve it.

Yep, but it's not like the 1.31 was released few weeks ago. I think the vast majority of players have already finish (and since a long while) their 1.31 playthrough :)

Yep, but it's not like the 1.31 was released few weeks ago. I think the vast majority of players have already finish (and since a long while) their 1.31 playthrough :)
I should care what other players have been up to, why? It's a singleplayer game. No one's play habits are relevant to anyone else.

You're also failing to acknowledge the thousands upon thousands of players who have joined us in Night City over the past weeks and months.

The fact that I bought the game at launch doesn't make my play habits - or anyone else's - more important than a newcomer's.

I should care what other players have been up to, why? It's a singleplayer game. No one's play habits are relevant to anyone else.

You're also failing to acknowledge the thousands upon thousands of players who have joined us in Night City over the past weeks and months.

The fact that I bought the game at launch doesn't make my play habits - or anyone else's - more important than a newcomer's.
Yes, but what I mean that it's "better" (at least not the worse) to release an update who change a lot of things months after the previous update.
Let's imagine now, that in 2 weeks, CDPR would release a patch who break all the builds/characters created today... That would be the worse.

So at the end, CDPR have to release it with these changes one day, and unfortunately, everyday in the year (I think), there are always players in a middle of a playthrough.

So at the end, CDPR was to release it with these changes one day, and unfortunately, everyday in the year (I think), there are always players in a middle of a playthrough.
I'm not debating that.

The issue is that they failed to warn anyone just how heavily they were changing the game, and how much damage it would do to a playthrough in progress.

I watched the stream from beginning to end. They made no mention of the vast majority of nerfs and restructuring. When they did mention things, they missed critical details out, while wasting time showing off mostly irrelevant features like the idiotic returning knife.

The stream should have come much further in advance, with a full change list. published after. I'm on an uncapped 1gig line, but not everyone wants to - or can afford to - waste 120gig and the download time, finding out that patching the game was a mistake.

I can see where you're coming from, but Patch 1.5 just makes the game feel so much more solid in many aspects.
how much damage it would do to a playthrough in progress.
It doesn't damage your playthrough. Patch 1.5 solves (and prevents you from) many bugs (e.g. perks that didn't work properly), and it also adds new content. Furthermore, the combat feels much more balanced.

So why would you prefer to complete an incomplete version of the game, when you can have a much better experience with the latest version?

You can always decide to make backups of your local saves, and roll back to the previous version.
Edit: Only thing to keep in mind is that save files created in 1.5 won't be backwards compatible.

Last edited:
Patch 1.5 solves (and prevents you from) many bugs (e.g. perks that didn't work properly), and it also adds new content. Furthermore, the combat feels much more balanced.
None of which had affected me. And combat doesn't feel better when I can't use my weapons anymore.
So why would you prefer to complete an incomplete version of the game, when you can have a much better experience with the latest version?
Because I can't.

Not only is my build broken in 1.5, the game runs worse to the tune of 20-30% fps, for no graphical gain. And the point of this playthrough - my third and completionist playthrough on the highest difficulty - is unachievable, due to crafting specs and rewards being moved to containers I've already looted.

Hence, downgrading and continuing on 1.31.

I watched the stream from beginning to end. They made no mention of the vast majority of nerfs and restructuring. When they did mention things, they missed critical details out, while wasting time showing off mostly irrelevant features like the idiotic returning knife.
There also wasn’t mentioned that explosions won’t flatline you instantly and how vastly was upgraded environment reaction to damages. Knifes changes now allow fully fleshed and reliable play style which is supported with working perks … and talking about perks, they now really makes a difference, you now really need to think what to choose because V is no longer so tanky without all those armadillo mods put everywhere. Well, … it definitely needs more skills to play some ways, but at least for me it’s tons of new fun 😀🙂 :)

Last edited:
and why does it excuse the damage done to my experience?
Are you new to gaming forums? This is how they works, you wrote something and people may react. You see, your experience was instantly improved ;) . But more seriously: you can now either adapt or try search for mods (may need some time for modders to revert some of changes) or play something else … this is fully on your decision.

you can now either adapt or try search for mods
Or just continue playing 1.31, and ignore forum-goers who attempt to drown out other people's issues with irrelevant personal experience.

CDProjekt have a strong spine, don't worry. They don't need you to prop them up.

I look forward to playing 1.5+ at some point. Just not in the middle of this playthrough.

Top Bottom