Is it really stealth if you're leaving bodies in your wake?

+
Stealth missions, like data thefts and planting bugs, where you are supposed to remain undetected. Should they really count as raging successes if you kill or incapacitate enemies along the way?

If there's no one left to see, then it's stealth.

So I guess when the next shift comes on and they find pools of blood and bodies strewn about and stuffed into refrigerators they just assume everything is on the up and up?

As long as they don't see you or detect you in any way, it's stealth and they are fair game. If any get in the way, incapacitate them as you need, hide the bodies if possible. As I mentioned before in a previous post, what bothers me about stealth is you hear your footsteps and you're not suppose to. My character is always barefoot and what you hear is a 'clomp..clomp' sound, even in stealth. Real stealthy, yep...

Yes, the game doesn't even stay logical to its own lore on that regard. People are connected all the time (just do a ping and you see it), if someone dies it should be noticed immediately. Heck, that's exactly the idea behind Trauma Team.

Stealth should be more like this:

* If you start hacking wireless at a dangerous area, security notices a new unauthorized device and guards are immediately alerted. If a Netrunner is on site, you are located immediately.
* Hacking from a physical jack in point gives you the map of the area, you remain undetected and by installing your device as authorized, quickhacking will keep you undetected - unless there is a netrunner on site and you aren't finished quick enough
* If someone dies, the alarm goes off immediately because everyone is notified and police is being called depending on your distance to the city center. Killing someone is only your last resort.
* If one camera is deactivated, a technician is called and in 2 or 3 minutes it will be reactivated. If two cameras are deactivated, guards are raised to an alerted stance. If three or more cameras are deactivated, alarms are sounded and the police will arrive at the scene within a few minutes depending on how close to the city center the facility is (for Arasaka/Militech etc MaxTech arrives instead)
* Killing important or high-level NPCs can lead to Trauma Team arriving

Those are easy to implement rules, but would make for an much more realistic stealth behaviour which stays true to Cyberpunk lore. But alas, I guess a few if-conditions are too hard for the indie devs at CDPR.

Last edited:
You maintain plausible deniability so long as you don't get caught.
It is not murder. Consider it a very late term abortion.
Who's to say that guy didn't do that to himself? I heard his ol' lady left him for some corpo and took the kids.
"Central, we found, Dave. He's passed out behind a stack of crates. He must have forgot to set the limiters on his autoerotic-asphyxiation cyberware again. Over"

You maintain plausible deniability so long as you don't get caught.
It is not murder. Consider it a very late term abortion.
Who's to say that guy didn't do that to himself? I heard his ol' lady left him for some corpo and took the kids.
"Central, we found, Dave. He's passed out behind a stack of crates. He must have forgot to set the limiters on his autoerotic-asphyxiation cyberware again. Over"

Lol, looks like Jane shot herself in the back of the head then stuffed herself into a shipping crate again.

Yes, the game doesn't even stay logical to its own lore on that regard. People are connected all the time (just do a ping and you see it), if someone dies it should be noticed immediately. Heck, that's exactly the idea behind Trauma Team.

Stealth should be more like this:

* If you start hacking wireless at a dangerous area, security notices a new unauthorized device and guards are immediately alerted. If a Netrunner is on site, you are located immediately.
* Hacking from a physical jack in point gives you the map of the area, you remain undetected and by installing your device as authorized, quickhacking will keep you undetected - unless there is a netrunner on site and you aren't finished quick enough
* If someone dies, the alarm goes off immediately because everyone is notified and police is being called depending on your distance to the city center. Killing someone is only your last resort.
* If one camera is deactivated, a technician is called and in 2 or 3 minutes it will be reactivated. If two cameras are deactivated, guards are raised to an alerted stance. If three or more cameras are deactivated, alarms are sounded and the police will arrive at the scene within a few minutes depending on how close to the city center the facility is (for Arasaka/Militech etc MaxTech arrives instead)
* Killing important or high-level NPCs can lead to Trauma Team arriving

Those are easy to implement rules, but would make for an much more realistic stealth behaviour which stays true to Cyberpunk lore. But alas, I guess a few if-conditions are too hard for the indie devs at CDPR.

What you describe is a game world in which stealth is impossible. And yes, saddly most Cyberpunk worlds are exactly described in way, which makes Stealth as long as the Security team is on their toes, actually impossible.
So i'm glad they're ignoring internal logic there, like most GameMasters in the PnPs also do.

Though given that a huge swathe of our Gigs resolve around gangs and their security, i'd say they're not really up to par.

If a thousand maelstrom end up freezers and refrigerators but no cameras are online to see it happen, did it ever happen?

As long as they don't see you or detect you in any way, it's stealth and they are fair game. If any get in the way, incapacitate them as you need, hide the bodies if possible. As I mentioned before in a previous post, what bothers me about stealth is you hear your footsteps and you're not suppose to. My character is always barefoot and what you hear is a 'clomp..clomp' sound, even in stealth. Real stealthy, yep...
Heh. Yeah it's a bit silly. After finishing CP2077 I was replaying TLOU2, and had kind of a similar experience - I was crawling prone and especially with headphones on it pretty much sounded like loud walking. Many times I'd spin around thinking someone had snuck behind me.

Top Bottom