Is Jackie DEAD?!

+
Let's all just bask in the glory of the hi-res pics of Jackie that they released last night <3

I feel like if he was a minor character they wouldn't have him as an option in the cosplay competition

Why would your first reaction to somebody who talks to you in a way you don't like be to kill them?

I actually see it more like erasing a non-immersive point from the game, as normally I would just avoid the character entirely instead of becoming friend with him.
Well, I mean, if your are talking about Jackie.

If you are talking about other characters, I may actually really kill them if they try to belittle V, as my V will have much in common with Adam Smasher, and I imagine few people actually pick on Adam Smasher and survive that.
Remember: I'll be playing fully cybered (because it doesn't affect V) mercenary (so no fun), who can (because of the appeal to action players) take on wholes gangs in battle and survive that and who is unable to become good at convincing people (because no social stats). That's looks very Adam-Smasherish in my book.

Even if it's a great story, as long as we don't have any way to change the way he talk to V, he will stay an highly unimmersive part of the game so I'll want him dead to gain some immersion.

Yeah, it would be much more immersive if you could change how other people talk to you. It'd be like real life.

If you are talking about other characters, I may actually really kill them if they try to belittle V, as my V will have much in common with Adam Smasher, and I imagine few people actually pick on Adam Smasher and survive that.

Yeah, well, I personally find that it's much more immersive that in a game like cyberpunk, or, well, most any RPG for that matter, people start belittling you. You have to prove yourself. You've got to grow. I don't want Cyberpunk 2077 to be no mere power fantasy.

Yeah, it would be much more immersive if you could change how other people talk to you. It'd be like real life.

If you actually read the topic, you would also read things like:
"I actually see it more like erasing a non-immersive point from the game, as normally I would just avoid the character entirely instead of becoming friend with him."

Yeah, well, I personally find that it's much more immersive that in a game like cyberpunk, or, well, most any RPG for that matter, people start belittling you. You have to prove yourself. You've got to grow. I don't want Cyberpunk 2077 to be no mere power fantasy.

You forget the fact that the dev' made V totally overpowered by Cyberpunk 2020 standart, meaning that yeah, one might try to pick on V, but then:

Let's all just bask in the glory of the hi-res pics of Jackie that they released last night <3

I feel like if he was a minor character they wouldn't have him as an option in the cosplay competition
I think he stays a npc later on....it would be nice if could have a side kick for the whole game

True, mostly that anyone can get a big gun and big muscle in that world. You're just a merc' among thousands other, you've to prove you know your stuff, then you can ask for some respect.
Also, in such a setting, be sure the people trying to belittle you would've enought backup for having the confidence to be so.

With the latest Night City, we saw a different interaction with V and Dexter after the heist, so if you go absolutely radio silent zero kills, zero notices, Jackie may be fine... we can only hope. That stated, it might be an artificial plot point where the GM (game master) railroads the players into Jackie's death while also introducing Keanu/Johnny Silverhand. This is a writing style/tool whereas you take a well liked character, and then take away that character, while introducing somebody else that fits the role of that original individual in the reader/player/main character's life. Thus this tool transfers some or all of the player's emotional attachment from the previous character to the new one. Given the mind screw this game promises, the fact that you will then have to struggle through defining what are legitimate thoughts about Johnny vs carry over from Jackie, this is a cruel yet effective way of throwing mental dissonance into the player's game and ongoing relationship with Johnny. Given what we saw in the Witcher 3, this is CDPR's bread and butter...

A hard coded Jackie death may of course be possible, but so far it seems all bets are open, due to strong implications of different plot events unfolding based on players choices.

We will see in about 4 months.

I hope his death doesn't depends on play style. That's bad when games force you to play in one way.

There is a narrative techniquie where you substitute a loved/liked character for a new one in order to immediately engender trust and caring about the new one; often when you shouldn't fully trust the new character. Humans are wired for tangents and grouping identifying things together, so when you just lost your best friend, were betrayed by your boss and seemingly the world, you are introduced to a new individual that says they will help you... well you associate that character with your last allie against the world. Even when that character may be able to be in your mind, know your thoughts, and be in the perfect position to manipulate you.

hqdefault.jpg

Would you kindly consider:
should we trust johnny to replace jackie?

If he only dies in certain choices than he most certainly leaves in some manner or the other. I can't imagine such a choice of Jackie dying or not and you having him for a partner the rest of the game or not would boil down to a player reacting to an off-handed remark. He says his mom is worried about him, maybe if he doesn't die he retires from that life.

In my mind, Jackie is there to act as a guide early in the game, showing the player different things and then leaves. Either through death or some other method. And since we have mostly been shown early parts of the game, it makes sense that we see Jackie in that gameplay.

Question is, is that already determined, or can we affect that via our story choices?
THAT is the big question that been rattling around in my head...

I think NO.. I may be wrong, but i think that Jackie is a plot devise used to help the player be introduced to the world of cyberpunk.
He'll be there to answer questions, watch your back in combat, and guide you through the beginning of your story and help keep you focused and moving forward, but is later replaced by Jonny Silverhand.

THAT is the big question that been rattling around in my head...

I think NO.. I may be wrong, but i think that Jackie is a plot devise used to help the player be introduced to the world of cyberpunk.
He'll be there to answer questions, watch your back in combat, and guide you through the beginning of your story and help keep you focused and moving forward, but is later replaced by Jonny Silverhand.
If that's the case and the whole thing's a part of the story then I don't think they would've shown his death and spoiled it.

If that's the case and the whole thing's a part of the story then I don't think they would've shown his death and spoiled it.
I would typically agree, but they also showed all the Johnny Silverhand footage which I think is a bigger spoiler (I know they had to show off Keanu early but still.)

Top Bottom