Is Johnny Silverhand gonna be in my mind 24/7?

+
But the idea that my entire time in Night City is defined by Johnny being in my head - that is a depressing thought. Id never be truly free to do what I want in Night City.. I can only hope the Johnny problem can be solved without the game ending.

I just dont even think this specific thing should even be point of controversy

"Are you going to be the "dragonborn" 24/7??"

"Are you goin to be the "witcher" 24/7??"

This is the plot, you are just some ordinary merc until you do a what seems like normal job and it ends up putting you in an extraordinary circumstance.

(relatively)

Its not like silverhand is literally going to butt in on every dialoge option you choose to tell you why your wrong/ give dialogue on his on reasoning.

Last edited:
Its not like silverhand is literally going to butt in on every dialoge option you choose to tell you why your wrong/ give dialogue on his on reasoning.

How can you tell?

At any rate, everything is defined by our perception of it. I perceive that there is a different person invading my body and thoughts 24/7, spying on you during your most intimate moments. That makes me deeply uncomfortable. Nothing at all like witcher or dragonborn. There you merely have special abilities.

How can you tell?

As I said in another answer before, there is a way (without ending the game). I read that in the GameStar (GER) Preview, which isn't public anymore.
But it's spoilery...

A ripper-doc (the one from one of the first gameplay videos) helps you identify what the Johnny-Chip does and gives you two pill bottles. They are (no joke!) red and blue. The red pills "synchronize" you more with Johnny, the blue ones turn him off for a given time – and it pisses him off, if you take them. So, that sounds crazy and exciting to me.

So far we've seen Silverhand showing up during main quests, side quest "Automatic Love" with Judy, alone with V in V's apartment, during the main quest with the Voodoo Boys, and when we were just eating our food. If that's not 24/7 that's pretty damn close to it.
Post automatically merged:

I just dont even think this specific thing should even be point of controversy

"Are you going to be the "dragonborn" 24/7??"

"Are you goin to be the "witcher" 24/7??"

There is a huge difference. Dragonborn and witcher are descriptions of my ability and profession, but what I was talking about is the state of my mind and sanity. As the Dragonborn or a witcher at least my agency is intact. My will is my own and my privacy is not invaded. The CP2077 parallel to "dragonborn" and "witcher" is "mercenary," not "mercenary with Johnny Silverhand permanently in his/her mind."

Last edited:
Still not sold on this given the fact Keanu just isn't a good actor. From the little I've heard he's clearly not as good as the other VOs.

That's what I am worried about. During main quests that's no problem, but personally I would hate it if he's like this when I'm sleeping with Judy or when I just want to be lost in Night City alone.
Well, on xbox gameplay, he shows up, just because you entered Jig-Jig Street and comments on this part of the city
To clarify, how? Prior posts indicating this don't seem quite clear on that matter.

Did you play yourself or do you refer to having read / heard it?
We've got a police blocking the district and it will move only if you end the prologue

Whether we like it or not, Silverhand is effectively a passenger along for the ride, and how much he influences you (based on previews) is entirely up to you.

I don't like the implications of having him in our head. However, as masters of our own fate, I trust there will be some choice where you get to decide, ultimately, what happens to the chip in your brain. I would hope that the writers have accounted for this in a creative manner, and we aren't completely railroaded into a bitter-sweet outcome regardless of our choices.

I would hope that a highly intelligent and technically minded V-build would have some insight into how to deal with the chip dilemma.

If that is really the case, my V will have to kill him one way or another, even if I do like him.
Like for example by removing every cyberware, so at least it will make it blind and deaf, and V will be able to not see and hear him.

I love this actor but I never thought about that, indeed, it could become painful, if he is too present all the time, but I don't think so. At worst in any good rpg maybe we could disconnect it lol

What if it was an rpg where you slotted a biochip into your head that malfunctiondd and integrated another consciousness into your head that is to advanced for any one to remove?

I mean, you can do what you described if you like. Just turn off your monitor, and sound and just randomly click around buttons. Have fun, dude.
You know you can see and hear without cyberware?
I don't have any and I can do that.

The whole point was to make the audience feel how upsetting it is for their character that a "terrorist" is in there head.

Plus we don't know if something happens and makes it where its impossible to remove the chip or Johnny from our heads once the chip uploads. Would explain why no one at Arasaka tried the chip.. Well as far as we know.

There's a lot we will have to wait till we actually play the game to know. It could be V's whole agenda to remove Johnny while the whole time Johnny wants us to burn Arasaka to the ground.
I look forward to seeing where this relationship will go or could go...very interesting indeed..

The whole point was to make the audience feel how upsetting it is for their character that a "terrorist" is in there head.

Plus we don't know if something happens and makes it where its impossible to remove the chip or Johnny from our heads once the chip uploads. Would explain why no one at Arasaka tried the chip.. Well as far as we know.

There's a lot we will have to wait till we actually play the game to know. It could be V's whole agenda to remove Johnny while the whole time Johnny wants us to burn Arasaka to the ground.
I look forward to seeing where this relationship will go or could go...very interesting indeed..

Yeah, true. I think one of the main ways you can choose for you character is to, as people in this thread do, hate having johnny there and want to get him out.

However, my comments are more based around the fact that people seem to be critising it as a mechanic/narrative device.

So to sum up - sure you can dislike him invading your space and roleplay hating him being there and getting him out, but it isnt a bad "mechanic" option that takes away from the actual gameplay/agency you have in game. Not sure if I worded that correctly, but hopefully people get my point.

Yeah, true. I think one of the main ways you can choose for you character is to, as people in this thread do, hate having johnny there and want to get him out.

However, my comments are more based around the fact that people seem to be critising it as a mechanic/narrative device.

So to sum up - sure you can dislike him invading your space and roleplay hating him being there and getting him out, but it isnt a bad "mechanic" option that takes away from the actual gameplay/agency you have in game. Not sure if I worded that correctly, but hopefully people get my point.

Agree whole heartily.

This being a CDPR game you can believe it will be done very well. There will be new things, scenes, and interactions found years after release. Just like in The Witcher 3.

Johnny can be a great tool to tell a great story and I for one can't wait!!

For your sum up, I hope I understand you correctly (and correct me if I didn't) but I'm curious what you mean by "mechanic" and what is not mechanic. If you mean by it choosing dialogue options or using combat/stealth, then no, having Johnny in my head won't affect the "mechanic" part of the game.

But I tend to view "mechanics" more broadly. In a huge open-world RPG like this, mechanics for fun also include exploring the city, getting drunk at a bar, sleeping with people, feeling the loneliness etc. People usually call these "immersion" or "roleplay," but regardless, I think they are important parts of the game. In these areas we do see Johnny barging in and take away player agency. From the gameplay shown so far, it seems that Johnny appears whenever and wherever he wants, dispenses observations and gameplay advices, curses whoever he wants, and refusing to leave V alone even when I want to. How is that not taking away player agency?

Of course you can say that "that's the whole point, V is supposed to be annoyed at Johnny in his/her head." Well, sure, but it is always dangerous to relate the player to the protagonist via a disliked or annoying feature. It can be done well, and I hope it is, but if it's not done well, then the annoyance the player feels toward Johnny-in-the-head is gonna translate into annoyance at the game itself.

In these areas we do see Johnny barging in and take away player agency.

What specific instances are you talking about and how?

And for example - in the gameplay shown where you steal the rayfield - and the cops bust your ass and hold you down - Do you also see a problem with this?

And for example - in the gameplay shown where you steal the rayfield - and the cops bust your ass and hold you down - Do you also see a problem with this?

No, because that is a one-time turn of the story, whereas Johnny Silverhand is a constant condition that, for all we know, may last the whole game. Imagine, as you are walking in Night City, cops just show up randomly and bust your ass regardless of what you did. That would make a better analogy.

No, because that is a one-time turn of the story, whereas Johnny Silverhand is a constant condition that, for all we know, may last the whole game. Imagine, as you are walking in Night City, cops just show up randomly and bust your ass regardless of what you did. That would make a better analogy.

Well, heres the thing - that isnt the only time in the game something like that will happen. Sure that specific scenario was one time but - and I could be wrong, the story will have more moments where because of the actions of other people you cant move or are forced into certain things.- Just remembered a relevant one - like in the club when the bouncer (or whoever he is) comes over and pushes you down,

Johnny is with you all the time but as we can see from a lot of the gameplay he is more of a observer that offers narrative from the perspective of his character and also has his own goals that he will work towards - and occasionaly maybe you steal a rayfield and the game has him arrest you.

Maybe you can understand what im saying more?

Last edited:
So then, removing your cyberwear wont stop you from seeing and hearing johnny...
Post automatically merged:

Yes, it will: Don't you know that in Cyberpunk you can remove ALL your cyberware (including brainchips) and replace it with natural body parts again, considering you have the money? And that the money for that is way under the price of one of the supercars we saw and are supposed to be able to buy?

Top Bottom