Is Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk world supposedly retrofuturism?

+

I was wondering what is the awkward feeling when I venturing Cyberpunk 2077 world. Sometime it feel not futuristic enough especially those vehicle I can buy. Now I realize, yeah, those are retrofuturism.

Economy and nomad vehicle is fine, because normal people cannot afford high tech while nomad who live in badland does give post apocalypses retrofuturism feel.
But high class sport car and executive car in NC should be more futuristic isn't it?

Given the year it is set in the Cyberpunk universe should feel familiar, even though some of the technology is more advanced. 2077 is only 56 years away. It is far from us as the mid 1960s, which would also feel very familiar if you were able to go back in time.

Also, take into account the fact is based on the RPG Cyberpunk 2020, and there is a certain... design feeling in the illustrations that is closer to how people thought the future would be in the 80s than a "Realistic" take on what the world will be in 2077.

So, take that into account, that's the 2077 people in the 80s imagined, a bit like the Fallout series that is how people in the 50s thought the world will be.

Having played the tabletop I think they kept the feeling of the original game.

It's an alternate timeline post-apocalypse future.

Mind you, it does contain a massive amount of satire relevant to the present day.

The term "Retro Futurism" was coined sometime in the 80s to describe the look and feel of science fiction of the 60s and 70s. Thing is, the 80s are now also in the past, so does that make movies like Blade Runner or Alien retro futuristic?

There really isn't a good nomenclature for describing different inspirations for science fiction and fantasy worlds. Like, adding the word "punk" to things now basically means "A world where ___ technology defines every aspect of life", like Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Atompunk etc. But then as far as I understand it that's never what it was meant to mean either. The punk part used to mean rebellion against an oppressive establishment, not simply that it's a world riffing wildly on a certain type of technology.

Retro Futurism is anything that has an aesthetic of the pasta with the technology of the future. It's not that complicated.

Top Bottom