Is motion blur overused?

+
Is motion blur overused?

hey all. it's been quite some time i've not been here. recently saw some screenshots.. it looks like the motion blur is too heavily overused? i'm not big fan of motion blur but i don't mind if it was used right.

archaven said:
hey all. it's been quite some time i've not been here. recently saw some screenshots.. it looks like the motion blur is too heavily overused? i'm not big fan of motion blur but i don't mind if it was used right.

If you watch the gameplay trailer you see that in combat is no motion blur. The effect you see on this screenshot is a radial blur assigned to the igni sign, so that the focus is on the flames and enhances the effect of the sign, that's all.

IsengrimR

I just hope I will be able to turn it off in game, like in previous games. Motion blur hurts my eyes and makes me vomit.
Do not know why the blur the screens... but okey, it's the screen. As long as I will be able to get rid of it while playing - I am fine.

I hate motion blur, the first thing I do for every game is go to settings and turn it off.

I sometimes wonder if it's really a feature people want to have in games. For me it's just nauseating.

I thought motion blur in TW2 was subtle enough. It only triggered once Geralt really got going with the combos and it was a cool effect. What does get overused in games now are screen effects, like blood droplets, red screen and lens flare. I'd like an option to disable those or I hope CDPR keeps it to the bare minimum.

I don't mind it, for some games it actually improves it as it gives you a feeling of speed, I would say lens flares are much more overused than motion blur, and they don't even make any sense since you're playing through the characters eyes, not cameras.

(warning: wall of tech text below)

Fun fact: as TW3FanApp mentioned, the effect you're discussing is not motion blur (i.e. blurring moving objects on screen) but radial blur (a simple blur effect to suggest damage or force). The latter is comparable to an effect like shaking the screen when heavy monsters are on screen; it may help immersion for some, but it can get annoying if it's very noticeable. It will very likely be possible to turn it off in TW3, though, if you don't like it.

Motion blur, on the other hand, is an effect that can help to make a game feel more fluent at lower framerates (say 25-50). If an object is moving across your screen at a particularly high speed and the framerate isn't sufficiently high to keep up (this can happen at higher framerates too - I'm sure any of you who've ever climbed a view point in Assassin's Creed are familiar with this), the movement may come across as stuttering rather than fluent movement.

However, motion blur is also often applied in order to offer a more 'cinematic' experience (since movies, running at 24 FPS, have loads of it). If used in this way, it becomes a matter of personal preference again: some people like it, others don't. Again, the fun of PC gaming is you'll be able to decide for yourself if you want to turn it on or off.

felipejiraya said:
I don't like it too, the effect always feels cheap and hurts the performance of the game.

^^ This. I don't have motion sickness. Earlier days when i played Half Life 2 i have it and over the years i don't have it anymore even in fast paced FPS games. Probably i'm immnune to it already ;)/>.

The real problem is i feel motion blur looks cheap for the visuals.

Edit
You get a +1 from me wut the melon :)

Ugh. I hate motion blur. It makes me sick. And I mean it both figuratively and literally. Also, your eyes create natural blur when you move the camera. So add to that the artificial motion blur and everything is just off. You're trying to trick your eyes that something exist when it doesn't. It immediately breaks immersion.

No I really hate motion blur. Can't even put how much I hate it into words. The first fucking thing I do whenever I'm about to start a new game is turn that shit the fuck off. It's horrible.

WuttheMelon said:
(warning: wall of tech text below)

Fun fact: as TW3FanApp mentioned, the effect you're discussing is not motion blur (i.e. blurring moving objects on screen) but radial blur (a simple blur effect to suggest damage or force). The latter is comparable to an effect like shaking the screen when heavy monsters are on screen; it may help immersion for some, but it can get annoying if it's very noticeable. It will very likely be possible to turn it off in TW3, though, if you don't like it.

Motion blur, on the other hand, is an effect that can help to make a game feel more fluent at lower framerates (say 25-50). If an object is moving across your screen at a particularly high speed and the framerate isn't sufficiently high to keep up (this can happen at higher framerates too - I'm sure any of you who've ever climbed a view point in Assassin's Creed are familiar with this), the movement may come across as stuttering rather than fluent movement.

However, motion blur is also often applied in order to offer a more 'cinematic' experience (since movies, running at 24 FPS, have loads of it). If used in this way, it becomes a matter of personal preference again: some people like it, others don't. Again, the fun of PC gaming is you'll be able to decide for yourself if you want to turn it on or off.
Exactly, and I am shure, that motion blur, if there is any in TW3, will be optional, because on PC scaling is important to run the game on every system with a good enough framerate. Also it is hard to tell a scene only from a screenshot. If we watch the gameplay trailer the camera moves behind the igni effect and makes this tunnel effect to enforce the stream of fire particles on the screen what I find cool.

Top Bottom