Is NG+ worth it? What are the benefits or positives?

+
Is NG+ worth it? What are the benefits or positives?

Last year I played two games as pure swordsman and alchy+swords. these were on lesser difficulties. I've now finished up a complete game including both expansions on death march. I almost have all achievements and almost have searched each "?" and have but a few quests to finish.

I'm wondering if a NG+ is worth it. I have not played a pure sign character but also not sure how much I may like it. I can lower the difficulty now that the DLC's are done and respec to signs to finish up the remaining tasks. (I'm missing one gwent card for that achievement but can't find the merchant to play for it UGH).

So I'm sort of torn on what to do. Any advice and opinions are most welcome. What does NG+ really do besides you keeping your gear, money, alchy formulas and other current skill points?

Last year I played two games as pure swordsman and alchy+swords. these were on lesser difficulties. I've now finished up a complete game including both expansions on death march. I almost have all achievements and almost have searched each "?" and have but a few quests to finish.

I'm wondering if a NG+ is worth it. I have not played a pure sign character but also not sure how much I may like it. I can lower the difficulty now that the DLC's are done and respec to signs to finish up the remaining tasks. (I'm missing one gwent card for that achievement but can't find the merchant to play for it UGH).

So I'm sort of torn on what to do. Any advice and opinions are most welcome. What does NG+ really do besides you keeping your gear, money, alchy formulas and other current skill points?

Nothing I guess.

It let the player feel how a witcher should act and be geared, you retain everything so you have access to potions, bombs, weapons, armor and a good knowledge on how to play.
NG+ feel different, in NG the player have the ability to enjoy a full geared geralt only at the end game for few hours, in my opinion NG+ has a better gameplay the NG

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 New Game Plus mode will include higher level armor that is not available in the regular play mode!

The max level will be increased to Lv.70 for NG+ (i thing) going up to Lv.100 with the B&W expansion.

It let the player feel how a witcher should act and be geared, you retain everything so you have access to potions, bombs, weapons, armor and a good knowledge on how to play.
NG+ feel different, in NG the player have the ability to enjoy a full geared geralt only at the end game for few hours, in my opinion NG+ has a better gameplay the NG

This, I forgot about this.

Yeah, pretty much as HarelMore stated above.

You may wondering, why you can't just raise up the difficulty setting from the beginning of a second game-through instead of choosing a the NG+ mode.

Well, maybe because not everyone wants to start over with a fresh character and no items!

The whole point of NG+ mode is, to give you the opportunity to take on The Witcher 3's world with a character
already built up, with potions and weapons you hare already acquired.

This is different from starting a brand new game with a fresh character on a harder difficulty setting,
because in that case, you have nothing and you still have to build up all your gear, goods and gold all over again.

That way, you will see how good you are after you've already beaten the base game.

This will give you the stimulus to see, if you're still just as good when the entire game
has harder enemies right from the start. (Now it's perfect, i guess) lol

HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE! :surprise:

Last edited:
What does NG+ really do besides you keeping your gear, money, alchy formulas and other current skill points?

You pretty much answered your own question. Besides the things which you enumerated above, NG+ doesn't really offer anything new to the table. It's just a convenient way to experience a second or third playthrough of the game, perhaps experiment with different story outcomes and choices, without having to go through the laborious process of procuring all new gear, abilities, potions, etc.

As for the Gwent achievement, I'd recommend visiting some of the random tavern owners in Skellige. At least in my case, it turned out that I was missing a random monster card which I was able to obtain from one of their merchants. I believe that there is also a book entitled "The Miraculous Guide to Gwent" which allows you to track which cards you are missing: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...-track-down-all-those-missing-gwent-cards.htm

I want to thank all of you for your responses. Looks like I'll try to finish off some achievements that I'm close to completing and then try a NG+. There is one playthrough I haven't tried as of yet. Being faithful and not going to bed with every women I ran across. I can couple that with always arguing with Yen and therefore become an old married couple. :)

+ you alerady have most of the recipes, schematics, oils, bombs, potions, decoctons, you keep your armor and wapons, and don't need to spend lot of time to go to the same places to get the diagrams for armors, you are better equippped and the enemies are tougher

+ you alerady have most of the recipes, schematics, oils, bombs, potions, decoctons, you keep your armor and wapons, and don't need to spend lot of time to go to the same places to get the diagrams for armors, you are better equippped and the enemies are tougher
You actually lose all the schematics; which makes sense, since you won't have even the remotest use for a velen archer gambeson, req lvl 1 in a NG+. The schematics are all upscaled to "their normal level + Geralt's starting level", like the quests and the monsters.

As for NG+, I don't really see the sense in it. Huge part of the enjoyment of the game -for me- is finding the formulae and getting better and better potions and oils. It's providing a sense of progress. I've done one serious attempt at NG+ and even made it to the very end of it; the endgame encounters do become more lethal, though the mechanics remain the same.

The one and only benefit of NG+, in my opinion, is that you will end up with enough ability points to really unlock all of the heliotrope mutations. And the sense of "wow, I am good. I beat the frigging crones and Iris' Greatest Fear and Dettlaff in NG+ deathmarch."

How so? I would have thought that since I'm geared and have all the oils etc. the fights would be easier, not harder.

Enemies get tougher to accommodate :) Don't worry, your Master/Grandmaster crafted whatever will quickly become obsolete in NG+. Although, it was fun doing such a playthrough, refusing to change my master crafted armor from NG.

I only did 1 ng+ playthrough before patch 1.20, mostly because I was overlevelled before even starting ng+. With ng++ now starting at Geralt's finishing level in ng plus the new skill slots that come with blood and wine, a ng+ is much more attractive to me now.

I'm currently on new game+ myself. The problem I face is that I've already experienced the story so I'm just not sure if I want to go through it all again. It's a really big game. I spent hours and hours gathering all the Gwent cards, completing all the side quests, treasure hunts, etc, and even though I love this game a lot, I'm just not sure if I can be arsed to do it all again. I only have 4 trophies left and I was hoping to just get the remaining trophies on this play through, but another part of me just doesn't want to skip through everything as fast as possible because I want my last play through to be as thorough and "complete" as my first play through (all quests/treasure hunts/question marks completed).

Hm...

I'm currently on new game+ myself. The problem I face is that I've already experienced the story so I'm just not sure if I want to go through it all again. It's a really big game. I spent hours and hours gathering all the Gwent cards, completing all the side quests, treasure hunts, etc, and even though I love this game a lot, I'm just not sure if I can be arsed to do it all again. I only have 4 trophies left and I was hoping to just get the remaining trophies on this play through, but another part of me just doesn't want to skip through everything as fast as possible because I want my last play through to be as thorough and "complete" as my first play through (all quests/treasure hunts/question marks completed).

Hm...

Choose different dialog options, you'll see a whole lot of things you haven't previously.

It was worth i for me, since I wanted to have all gear and mechanics I ever wanted to try with Geralt and feel more powerful in combat compared to the start from 0. You do not have to develop everything first, you can arrange owned gear and mutagens right away and start being aggressive rather than reationary and dodging all the time. And I actually liked it despite a few dificulty spikes (bats of Dettlaffff...ffffFFFFFFFfUUUuuuuu...!!111)

I started from scratch, managed my money since I knew what I needed/wanted for certain levels. It is all about the crunch, I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom