Is Night City a city or a landfill?

+
Ok, I get it: it's a dystopian future, people have dilapidated the planet, they generate a huge amount of waste that is not recycled with no thoughts for the consequences for the environment; but who wants to live among heaps of trash? It's not only in the back alleys: it's everywhere. In some parts of Night City, like Rancho Coronado, there are inhabited houses surrounded by mounds of trash!

Nobody complains about the smell? What about rats and other pests? It's not credible that they've been obliterated (actually, in an environment like this, rats would live and reproduce much better than men!). And even if they got away with all evolved lifeforms, insects should thrive. Not only bugs but ants and, worse, lice that can bite humans and carry diseases. And yet people seem to be completely indifferent to the squalor.

I believe trash bags are to CP2077 what boxes and barrels were in old 3d games: a cheap filler content that doesn't look out of place anywhere. The problem is that CDPR went a bit overboard with the trash everywhere and suspension of disbelief is put under severe strain.

Seems to me that NC was "motion captured" of a real one. It's all just too accurate to be fictitious. Apparently, some US cities produce a whole lot more garbage than they can dispose of.

I also thought the “trash” was over done in this game.

Now that I think about it. There’s a lot of over compensation in this game.

msxyz

Forum regular
I also thought the “trash” was over done in this game.

Now that I think about it. There’s a lot of over compensation in this game.
Yep. Or maybe the grotesque representation is done on purpose, just like evil characters are always overdone in comics strips. I don't know enough of the source material to say if Cyberpunk aimed at a plausible alternate future or more as an allegory of a dystopian society where everything is pushed to the extreme.

Not many games try to represent a dilapidated city in depth and with a realistic approach; I believe Max Payne, especially the third, did quite a good job (the third one took place in a south american context and it was quite effective at depicting the contrast between poverty and wealth)

Considering the amount of garbage in some inhabited and civilized parts of the world, Night City is a great place to live in. ;)

Perhaps this is the perfect moment to be happy that the npc´s in Cyberpunk 2077 have no own live, but only spawn walk around and despawn. Because if they would have a daily routine one could think the trash gets even more every day.

Hey perhaps thats the reason why CDPR made the citizen so dumb. because the devs were afraid of the additonal trash they would produce XD

I liked the vast landfill on the outskirts and it makes sense that poor areas (Kabuki, Watson, etc) are littered with trash.
However, city center, corpo plazza, charter hill and north oak should be immaculate. I don't see corpos wnating to lived in that.

I'd like to throw in, what's with all the tire balancing machines? and they are in the weirdest places. Tire balancing machines...everywhere! Plus all the garbage sacks. :facepalm:

I'd invite you to visit certain parts of the developing world this very day (if not for COVID).

Maybe I've spent too much time in Southeast Asia, but this seemed 100% believable (except, yeah, the trash in Corpo Plaza.)

Considering the amount of garbage in some inhabited and civilized parts of the world, Night City is a great place to live in. ;)

I was in Naples over one year ago for honeymoon, and darn, that place is dirty and stinks. :beer: Like Old Vizima.

Looks just like a San Francisco, or New York when the sanitation workers go on strike.
Also parts of Los Angeles, Chicago. Piles of trash underneath the overpasses, the desert around Las Vegas, trash bags and appliances strewn all over. Not as over the top and you think.
Actually looks like San Fran when no one goes on strike lol

With the fact that most of the population are eating single serving foods from one of the zillion vending machines, it makes sense that there would be trash absolutely everywhere. That said, why are there so many vending machines!?!? Apparently there are no longer such things as supermarkets in 2077?

Too many people generating trash, not enough people gathering trash and moving it from place to place. V can't do it an their own!

I would have liked updated trash bags for the year 2077:

Honestly, since plastic is primarily made from oil, and in 2077 the world has run out of oil, I'm pretty surprised they still have plastic garbage bags at all. Or maybe they can make plastic from CHOOH2?

I know if you have a nice middle class family in a gated community that the amount of trash and clutter and crap in the streets seems pretty ridiculous, but Night City is a hyper capitalist city with no organised government or community management. Go walk around a poor area in a big city in the west and you'll realise that on some ways the dirtiness of Night City is in some ways understated.

Top Bottom