Is "origin" answer always more preferable over "normal" answer in conversations?

+

lelxrv

Forum veteran
Do we know anything about how this system works? Won't players feel like they're missing on something if they don't choose an answer, which is exclusive to your life path?

We don't but I'd imagine it depends on how it's implemented.

Imagine you're playing corpo. You get to the end of a mission and that would usually end in transferring some money to someone and taking a cut for yourself. As a corpo (or a high level netrunner) you could transfer all the money to yourself but that would have consequences. The people that are supposed to get the money might come after you... or maybe the money would have went to some orphans and you just MrGrinch'ed their money.

Maybe the lifepath option during a conversation involves a threat while honeyed words would get you more information out of the person you're talking to.

On the other hand I'd imagine they would want to make the options your lifepath opens meaningful and give you a positive most of the time. It's not fun to pick a lifepath only to constantly be given options tied to said lifepath that actively screw you over.

Balance in all things I guess.

Do we know anything about how this system works? Won't players feel like they're missing on something if they don't choose an answer, which is exclusive to your life path?

You played Mass Effect – am I right? Because what you're asking is what I was thinking when I saw, how highlighted the "origin"-option was in the dialogue menu and it reminded me of Paragon/Renegade, which was always preferable, if you wanted the optimal outcome.

I hope it's not, because choices that are no-brainers, aren't choices.

Sild

Ex-moderator

Personally, i think they're there to facilitate roleplaying. So if you want to continue as whatever your chosen background is then you can do so through those choices. And, naturally, backgrounds do matter in a believable world. Having the right background in a particular situation can make a difference, so why not in this game as well. I'd take that over "flavor text" any day.

lelxrv

Forum veteran
You played Mass Effect – am I right? Because what you're asking is what I was thinking when I saw, how highlighted the "origin"-option was in the dialogue menu and it reminded me of Paragon/Renegade, which was always preferable, if you wanted the optimal outcome.

Yeah, I'm somewhat afraid it will be like in Mass Effect. If there're blue and red options, you basically have no choice but to use them if you want an interesting outcome.

The only way I see it not working like that is making normal choice be a viable option. For example, don't flaunt your corpo jargon in front of a person who hates corpos. Don't be a corpo dick if you want to do something good for someone.

My guess is no, it's not always the best option. But we don't know yet.

I don't think there's supposed to be a "best option". Think of it more as an advantage.

For example, a Street Kid will have an easier time getting gangs to trust them, and Corpos will be privy to the tricks and lies being told them by a corpo agent. Obviously, a Street Kid won't know they're about to get screwed over by a Corpo agent, and a Corpo player will have to do extra work to get gangs to trust them.

So, do you want the Corpo agent to trust you, or the gang? Because one origin story will help you a little more than the other.

Presumably an "origin" answer is based on the insight your origin gives you. It may be a question you can ask that may allow you to make a better informed decision about the answer you decide to choose.
It's pretty harmless. One doesn't replace the other, just gives you broader perspective. The question remains for decisions, affiliations and stuff like that.

We DO know, that important story stuff won't be gated behind dialog options. Devs said that like, 2 years ago or long time ago anyway.

They intend the dialog to sort of affect what route you take, but it will not prevent you from reaching your destination, if that makes sense? Therefore the concept of "better dialog" is misplaced, in my opinion. Its going to lead to DIFFERENT results, not BETTER results. Please don't make me go dig up interviews from five million years ago for proof of this ...

We DO know, that important story stuff won't be gated behind dialog options. Devs said that like, 2 years ago or long time ago anyway.

They intend the dialog to sort of affect what route you take, but it will not prevent you from reaching your destination, if that makes sense? Therefore the concept of "better dialog" is misplaced, in my opinion. Its going to lead to DIFFERENT results, not BETTER results. Please don't make me go dig up interviews from five million years ago for proof of this ...
What is important story stuff? If it's like decisions you make regarding Ciri in The Witcher 3, it's less than 1% of choices you can make in dialogues that affect outcomes of quests.

Last edited:

geocp

Forum regular
It sure can change the path inside a mission.

Youtuber Parris said that in his corpo playthrough, when Meredith gave him the credit chip he knew it had the virus because he was a corpo and the game gave him the option to call her out.
After that Meredith proposes another deal.

23:40

VelWu

Forum regular
Coming from Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, I almost always pick the origin-related options where possible.

Haven't seen from demo or any sources where these origin options are making huge differences. The one that stood out was Nomad's "The Afterlife is know far and wide"~~merely something of role-play value, not advancing the story in any exclusive manner.

Hope I'll be proven wrong, though.

Some great post here that i agree with , mostly for RPing the game i guess . I was going to post the same as @VelWu , in the lastest demo the Nomad option popped up for The Afterlife . Now saying that option says i am not some " country hick " who knows anything about NC . I don`t think it would change the whole mission if i picked it or not maybe Jackie would explain something i ( not V ) doesn`t know about the The Afterlife .

I agree in some ways, but I would also argue that choices that are extremely confusing and mysterious and not-well-explained, or even not explained at all are also what I would define as being "Not Choices" as well, Technically speaking. :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

Presumably an "origin" answer is based on the insight your origin gives you. It may be a question you can ask that may allow you to make a better informed decision about the answer you decide to choose.
I actually hope that choosing one dialogue option doesn't erase all the other options. I want to be able to go through all the dialogue available if I choose, and avoid the pieces of dialogue that I do not want to say, for example if there was a good reason to not say certain things in certain situations, like during the maelstrom gang credit chip scene for example.

I hope that all the choices cycle back to choices that were not asked yet, so that V can say everything that needs to be said, and ask all questions that need to be asked before deciding that they are satisfied and end the conversation with another option on the bottom.

I hope it's also possible to leave an NPC's conversation, and then return later and be able to try to ask the same questions again, and also ask questions and say things that you forgot to previously say, just in case I press the wrong button and skip the dialogue or ask the wrong question by accident and end up permanently locked out of something I desperately needed to know, or wanted to do.
Post automatically merged:

What is important story stuff? If it's like decisions you make regarding Ciri in The Witcher 3, it's less than 1% of choices you can make in dialogues that affect outcomes of quests.
I agree, there were tons of moments in the Witcher 3 where I said or did the correct thing, but just because I didn't say it or do something exactly the correct way that an NPC wanted me to say or do something, I become permanently trapped out of entire quests and experiences and dialogue. Supposedly someone said CDPR said that it wont be like that anymore, I think, if I am not mistaken. hopefully.

Last edited:
I actually hope that choosing one dialogue option doesn't erase all the other options. I want to be able to go through all the dialogue available if I choose, and avoid the pieces of dialogue that I do not want to say, for example if there was a good reason to not say certain things in certain situations, like during the maelstrom gang credit chip scene for example.
I'd say that depends on the options themselves.
If the option is a question then other available questions should still be available.
If the option is a statement then the conversation should probably move on.

Top Bottom