Is playing arena an effective way to build my collection?

+

LTK

Forum regular
Is playing arena an effective way to build my collection?

I've played a few arena runs with varying success, and I noticed that on my last run, my 7 wins got me one keg, 80 dust, and 150 ore. I haven't been keeping track of the rewards for my less successful runs, but I think the keg is guaranteed at least. So I'm wondering whether I should just blow all of my ore on kegs for 100 each, or roll the dice on a 150 ore ticket, which is only better if I get more than 50 ore out of it. How well do I have to do for that? Is 6 wins already enough to get an extra keg's worth of ore out of it?

Playing arena is probably slower then playing ranked because you don't get the daily rewards. It's still a decent way to build because you get a lot of scraps and ore, depending on how much you win.

fastest gains are casual and ranked in general up until about 90% set completion... the problem with Arena (especially for new players) is that ore (that you pay in) is worth more than scraps (which is a more likely payout) by up to 2.5x (based on the value of cards received in a keg).... and that's assuming you win enough to be doing more than break even in arena.

The best way to farm ore/kegs right now is building an all in deck to play casual/ranked and farm the dailies fast. The only one available right now is Imlerith sabbath; your opponent removed it? Concede. He didnt; auto-win. You should farm the first 2 dailies run on 15-30 min max.

Than spend your ore on arena tickets.

I think either casual, ranked or Arena can work ... although making Arena work requires a bit more skill/luck since it doesn't count for dailies.

P.S. Welcome back Laveley

LTK

Forum regular
Void_Singer;n10849051 said:
fastest gains are casual and ranked in general up until about 90% set completion... the problem with Arena (especially for new players) is that ore (that you pay in) is worth more than scraps (which is a more likely payout) by up to 2.5x (based on the value of cards received in a keg).... and that's assuming you win enough to be doing more than break even in arena.

Thanks, this is really useful info! I tend to do better in arena as I've not played the game in months and my decks are basically 2017 starter decks with slight modifications. It was extremely frustrating to lose 90% of the time in ranked with the decks I used to do well with, so total randomness was a much better option. But if kegging my daily rewards is a better option I'll give it another shot.

Laveley;n10849391 said:
The best way to farm ore/kegs right now is building an all in deck to play casual/ranked and farm the dailies fast. The only one available right now is Imlerith sabbath; your opponent removed it? Concede. He didnt; auto-win. You should farm the first 2 dailies run on 15-30 min max.

Than spend your ore on arena tickets.

Okay, as luck would have it, a keg did provide me with Imlerith: Sabbath and I was already running with a Wild Hunt deck, so it's been doing better because of that. If Void Singer is right, though, shouldn't I just buy more kegs instead of arena tickets?

LTK;n10849641 said:
Okay, as luck would have it, a keg did provide me with Imlerith: Sabbath and I was already running with a Wild Hunt deck, so it's been doing better because of that. If Void Singer is right, though, shouldn't I just buy more kegs instead of arena tickets?

If you are not farming dailies fast enough, yes, because every match you play on arena is a match you dont play on ranked/casual and thus is a match you arent farming dailies. But after you farmed dailies until the second round, than arena is more cost-efficient imo.

I've been playing Arena almost exclusively now since about 2 weeks after it was released.
You can certainly build up a great deal of scraps and kegs etc, but unless you're winning consistently 6 to 7 (or more) games per Arena run, then you don't earn enough ore back to break even or be up enough in ore to finance your next Arena run from the previous.
If you sacrifice a run and break the contract, then you'll never get enough ore to finance the next run, so breaking makes no sense whatsoever.

What I've been doing is when my stock of ore drops below the 1500 - 2000 level, I stop Arena and go back to ranked and blitz enough games to get the dailies, then back to Arena.

I would suggest you build up a good stock of ore before you start concentrating on Arena as you can burn through it fairly quickly.

LTK

Forum regular
StrykerxS77x;n10850511 said:
Spend all the ore and kegs you have on premium weekend!

I've never heard of premium weekend, what's that?

Laveley;n10849391 said:

Hold on. Imlerith: Sabbath never works like that. I can't just play it turn 1; my opponent just puts out a 10+-power unit and it's either crippled or killed. It's only safe to play when the highest unit on the board is below 8, and even then it's far from unstoppable. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
LTK;n10851071 said:
Hold on. Imlerith: Sabbath never works like that. I can't just play it turn 1; my opponent just puts out a 10+-power unit and it's either crippled or killed. It's only safe to play when the highest unit on the board is below 8, and even then it's far from unstoppable. Am I missing something?

Yes. You are missing a specific tailored imlerith deck where you can buff him on hand before you play it and/or buff him on field and/or hurt big opponent enemies on field. Its easy to build an all-in imlerith deck, but if you want to save the hassle just search for it on gwentdb.

Obviously, dont expect to have a high win ratio with it. Its just so you can loose or win fast to farm those juicy daillies.

I found that playing ranked really helped building up my collection. Especially whenever a season ends. I don't even rank up that high. I mean, if you have the ore and a good grasp on what all the cards do then it's probably better to just play Arena. It's definitely a slow start but you'll get there.

Still better to win 6+12 rounds in constructed to get a minimum of 100+75 ore.
Then it is a proprer thing to go to arena for the rest of a day. But only if you are getting enough wins (4+) to make it profitable.

LTK

Forum regular
StrykerxS77x;n10851681 said:
Every keg you open the next few days will have a premium.

Oh that's right, I was wondering whether that was always the case or if there was something special going on. But extra premium cards won't help me make better decks, will they? I can mill them for dust, but dust doesn't let me buy kegs or craft new cards.

Laveley;n10851271 said:
Yes. You are missing a specific tailored imlerith deck where you can buff him on hand before you play it and/or buff him on field and/or hurt big opponent enemies on field. Its easy to build an all-in imlerith deck, but if you want to save the hassle just search for it on gwentdb.

Obviously, dont expect to have a high win ratio with it. Its just so you can loose or win fast to farm those juicy daillies.
My friend, please teach more people to play that deck. I love facing it...

:cheers:

If you enjoy playing Arena, there's nothing wrong with playing it and gaining rewards that way to built your collection.

Ranked, Ladder or Casual is most likely more consistent though - with Arena you are sometimes screwed, so there's no guarantee here.

LTK;n10855051 said:
Oh that's right, I was wondering whether that was always the case or if there was something special going on. But extra premium cards won't help me make better decks, will they? I can mill them for dust, but dust doesn't let me buy kegs or craft new cards.

it's basically a 15% increase in received premiums, mostly Bronze Rares... but you are correct that it does nothing to aid set completion.

I'm a new player and find that playing Arena is a pretty good way to get cards. That's because it's very hard to compete in even casual matches when you have so little cards to work with. I've fought so many net decks in casual that it's not even funny.

Top Bottom