Is playing Thronebreaker useful for Gwent?

+
I haven't played Thronebreaker but from what I understand, most of the changes in Gwent HC have been made because of Thronebreaker. I know that one gets additional cards from TB for Gwent and some other goodies. So I wonder if playing TB would give some additional insights into what the devs envisioned for Gwent HC, like what mechanics did they want to interact with each other, what meta they had in mind and so forth, or is playing TB a completely different experience?

Well, the standard battles use the same mechanics as Homecoming does, except the cards themselves are different. So to answer the question in the title, I would say yes.

I haven't played much of Homecoming yet, but thanks to Thronebreaker I'm familiar with the basic mechanics and in that regard found it easy to jump into the multiplayer.

For immesion / getting into multiplayer it is good, but you play Thronebreaker mainly for interesting story.
Cards are all different and combos/decks are more fun in TB, because you can setup OP plays, like +50 points per turn etc.
To be honest, if not Thronebreaker, I probably wouldn't have the drive to try multiplayer.

Is there also some single player story related to Homecoming similarly like it is in case of Thronebreaker?

No. Homecoming -- or rather GWENT -- is multiplayer only. Thronebreaker was originally going to be a single-player campaign, but it grew into a full RPG.

I think Thronebreaker is more than just getting a glimpse at what the devs envisioned for the game. By going through puzzles and battles, you can learn how to make better strategic decisions and use cards in a more creative way than before. At least it works for me. I got more insight as to when to play some cards and use synergies in multiplayer.

Isbel is such a OP card in Thronebreaker,
both as a healer, and then as an attack card when she switches later.

By going through puzzles and battles, you can learn how to make better strategic decisions and use cards in a more creative way than before. At least it works for me. I got more insight as to when to play some cards and use synergies in multiplayer.
thank you, that's the answer I was hoping for ;) I have spent several hundred hours in beta and a few dozens in HC and I'm stuck kinda. All I can come up myself are variations of what everyone else is playing and it'd be great if TB could notch me into a direction I haven't thought about yet.

Guess I'm going to buy it after all, if only for the extra cards and story.

No. Homecoming -- or rather GWENT -- is multiplayer only. Thronebreaker was originally going to be a single-player campaign, but it grew into a full RPG.
not entirely true, but for general purposes, sure...

there is the tutorial, practice mode, and in the past they've done single player challenges (which used to give the leader cards instead of the reward book), and puzzles (for seasonal events)

there is the tutorial, practice mode, and in the past they've done single player challenges (which used to give the leader cards instead of the reward book), and puzzles (for seasonal events)

The tutorial I suppose could count as a mini "story mode". The events as well, but we don't know when they'll be back.

On that note, the tutorial didn't really teach anything new after having played Thronebreaker.

I wouldn't say so
Some basic mechnics are the same, sure, but you can learn those from homecoming tutorial as well

Thronebreaker has a LOT of old gwent influence, like huge point swipes, unlike new Gwent

Top Bottom