Is Quen OP?

+

Is Quen OP?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Quen, like every other sign is based on conditions.

Votes: 21 70.0%

• Total voters
Is Quen OP?

There was a time when all I used was the alternate Quen sign for pretty much everything. worked pretty well. I would just wait and get hit on purpose with the Quen shield activated and it would just increase my health if I was taking damage and I could do this in combat. Increasing sign intensity and Quen sign intensity made me pretty much unstoppable. knocking back opponents when my shield broke was the icing on the cake.

So is the alternate sign up Quen OP?

I can't say anything to this. For some reason I never used that alternate version. I tried it couple of times but somehow it just didn't fit in my playing style. Maybe I should have tried that during my NG+ dm when I had serious troubles with couple of bosses :D

I can't say anything to this. For some reason I never used that alternate version. I tried it couple of times but somehow it just didn't fit in my playing style. Maybe I should have tried that during my NG+ dm when I had serious troubles with couple of bosses :D

You should at least try it. Its pretty fun. You can basically just swing away with your sword and then when you take enough damage, just throw up the quen shield and you gain some health back. EZ play EZ game.

Some bosses can admittedly break the shield with one hit and that's no fun, but for just regular mobs, like drowners nekers humans bears and more, it works like a charm. The thing is though, that its almost not worth it unless you have all three dumped into it. Once you do that though, you can just keep it up indefinitely until something hits you to replenish your health.

I've recently been using Igni a lot lately, which is great for when your going up against a lot of humans. Funny enough, I've never used the alternate mode of igni, LOL.

I LOVE Quen shield... I probably use it more than the regular version. But, I don't think it's OP at all. It's directly related to your enemy's level and how hard they hit.

no, it's not, it depends on yous skills, build and in the enemies, if you encounter a very high level enemy, red skull it will destroy your quen shield with one hit, then it kills you,

no, it's not, it depends on yous skills, build and in the enemies, if you encounter a very high level enemy, red skull it will destroy your quen shield with one hit, then it kills you,

That's... not what I mean. Assuming you are playing enemies that are around you level is what I am talking about. Obviously if you are fighting enemies that are high above your level, then no matter what you do you're going to be 1-2 hit KOed. IDK about you but I generally stick to fighting enemies that I can take a hit or two. I am not fantastic at this game but I do play on Death March. As far as Skills and build I can only say That this is true. If you don't build around it, its not going to be OP no contest. But what if you do?

I kinda agree with @ThornTwist...though I wouldn't exactly call it "OP", it's behavior IS almost too good to be true...definitely the best of the signs for me.
Once you have all the upgrades for the alt Quen (and the regular one too, for good measure) you never need to use food to regain health during battle.
The number of opponents and bosses who are way over my level (Red skull and all) I've managed to beat with it... XD

I think the alternate mode can be abused little too much. Havent used it in ages. Theres also that decoction that gives you healt every time you use stamina, even outside fights. It is fairly easy to heal in the game, but with the decoction you just spam aard and youre 100%. (spam one button and bam, youre good to go) With good 3 decoction combo you just cant die in normal fights. Maybe with Goty edition we get some new insane depths of hell difficulty level?!!

Last edited:
I think the alternate mode can be abused little too much. Havent used it in ages. Theres also that decoction that gives you healt every time you use stamina, even outside fights. It is fairly easy to heal in the game, but with the decoction you just spam aard and youre 100%. (spam one button and bam, youre good to go) With good 3 decoction combo you just cant die in normal fights.

Never got 3 decoctions going at once, 2 is the most I've done. Did Troll and an add in to suit my needs at the time. What 3 decoctions are you talking about specifically?

Dont remember the decoction names, but the one that heals when you deal damage, And the one that heals when stamina used, and maybe top it off with troll decoction or the one wich raises youre maxium healt when you kill something.. Was there also one that adds youre damage input depending on youre toxicity level,or something like that. Its been ages iwe played alchemy build, so cant remember it all..

I think its Ekimmara that heals you for 10% of the damage you deal. I remember the one where you heal when you use stamina, but if I recall, it didn't work with Quen shield so I stopped using it. Troll decoction gives a base rate of heal out of combat and a lower amount when in combat. I use Troll when exploring and hitting all the '?'s so while I'm riding on horseback or just traveling to another '?' my health is going up. With 2 decoctions at a time, I still have enough in the tank for potions as well.

I think its Ekimmara that heals you for 10% of the damage you deal. I remember the one where you heal when you use stamina, but if I recall, it didn't work with Quen shield so I stopped using it. Troll decoction gives a base rate of heal out of combat and a lower amount when in combat. I use Troll when exploring and hitting all the '?'s so while I'm riding on horseback or just traveling to another '?' my health is going up. With 2 decoctions at a time, I still have enough in the tank for potions as well.

Ok. Im new game+ now and i believe i have 3 green abilities active. I can take 2 decoctions and potion or two if in tight spot. Troll is great for exploring true. Really like new game+. So much more freedom with abilities. Always favoured hybrid builds.

Ok. Im new game+ now and i believe i have 3 green abilities active. I can take 2 decoctions and potion or two if in tight spot. Troll is great for exploring true. Really like new game+. So much more freedom with abilities. Always favoured hybrid builds.

If you're going to do an alchemy build there is one Skill that is absolutely essential. What it does is put your mutagens on steroids and increases the bonus for adding mutagens to you Skills and abilities. Its the third one down from the mutagen tree in alchemy. And the first one in mutagens in alchemy is a must have as well since it increases the threshold of your upper limit of toxicity you can have.

I find Ekhidna decoction and general Food items provide more effective and constant healing than alternative Quen (the 20 minute food healing passive is definitely OP, however). I don't think it's OP at all, considering how useless it is for some boss battles.

I find Ekhidna decoction and general Food items provide more effective and constant healing than alternative Quen (the 20 minute food healing passive is definitely OP, however). I don't think it's OP at all, considering how useless it is for some boss battles.

Yes, that oh so delicious fish.

Alternate Quen is definitely OP if you ask me, but it's also not something I've ever picked as a slotted skill. (I don't use any of the other alt Sign modes either.)
Basic Quen can be OP as well, at least with a high stamina regen (like 35-> ).

If you're going to do an alchemy build there is one Skill that is absolutely essential. What it does is put your mutagens on steroids and increases the bonus for adding mutagens to you Skills and abilities. Its the third one down from the mutagen tree in alchemy. And the first one in mutagens in alchemy is a must have as well since it increases the threshold of your upper limit of toxicity you can have.

Yup. Got those. Im sword focused build this time around. With some alchemy and sign abilities. Havin a blast.

Top Bottom