Is really The Witcher 3 more for an RPG than Cyberpunk?

+
I read this all the time. How CP is not an RPG and it is a looter shooter and how much more of an RPG TW3 was. Was it though? This thread is not intended to compare which game is better in the slightest. It just addresses the criticism of CP not being the RPG The Witcher was.

Personally i do not see it. CP has way more playstyles. Guns (and different categories to specialize), melee, hacking, stealth etc. And the actual gameplay depending on what you specialize in changes significantly, while on TW3 you are always a swordman. Every build plays very similarly

Also your stats are more interactive with the environment and actual quests. Not just in dialogues but when interacting with doors, windows, computers, stealing, everything. The Witcher was way more limited in that regard.

My main complaint with the RPG aspects of the gameplay in CP, is that in the endgame you simply get to have too much. 56 attribute points (including the initial 7) out of the 85 totally available (if you were to max out everything), meaning more than 2/3, and between 120 and 130 perks. Build diversity to a high degree is being negated by the fact that your "build" can be so expansive and essentially do almost everything. In contrast, in TW3 you had way less skill points and you had to equip them, so your choice of which skills to level and use were more impactful in the endgame. But that's in the endgame.

People can argue that you can interact with the world through dialogue more on TW3 and your choices are more impactful, and that is true. However choice and consequence systems are not limited to RPGs. Action games can have them, strategy games can have them, adventure games can have them, and they did., so this is not a very valid argument to me. Arguably Dark Souls in that case was way more interactive. You could kill the Blacksmith, get his weapon (which you can't in any other way) and then you cannot upgrade weapons ever again. You cannot even reload. That's it.

For me TW3 is 10 times the game CP could ever dream of being. But the fact that it is more of an RPG is simply not true to me. I could be wrong, dunno.

It's an age old debate, raging since time begun...shortly after Dragon Age 2.

What is an RPG?

Forums and threads the internet over have debated, questioned, argued, discussed every possible angle.

No-one can agree on what truly defines an RPG.

So in lieu of people being generally disagreeable;

If you felt like you role played / played a role / rolled a player.

It was an RPG.

No, it isn’t.

It’s just more thought out and better directed.

Neither of these games is much of an RPG. Both have some features that conventionally are associated with RPGs, but neither really uses them in a way or puts them in the main frame that they would actually provide an RPG.

Guest 3847602

Of course not.
Better game? Yeah, probably, especially when expansions are taken into the account.
TW3 having more RPG elements? No, not even close.

CP's only difference from the Witcher series is that you can also choose female Geralt to play as. That's it. Neither feature enough roleplay to consider them CRPGs. Both franchises - action adventures.

look at pen and paper
its is as interactive as it can get
still
The Dungeonmaster/Storyteller is always the limit
he tells you a story that you kinda have to follow, and if you fuck around to much.. there are 3 options
1st, he gets you back on track
2nd, he kills you
3rd, he throws you out of the group

i still dont get what people thought Cyberpunk would be
Its the same as the witcher, with just a diferent combat system and a more RPG style character development.
also some people like the fantasy setting more then scifi, i dont like scifi pen&papers that much.
(btw, its way better then AC Valhalla where everyone reaches maxlevel with all skills by the end of the game)

its very story driven with good sidequests to help you to gain level...
some say its content that disatracts from the main story, maybe, but i still love the side quests
but thats also a choice everyone can make for himself, where to go next.
some quests have diferent outcomes depending on what you do
(give the cop the video, blackmail him, kill him, take him in alive... 4 choices on one litle sidequest)

we all agree that cyberpunk has some flaws, mainly the AI for me...
but iam still very happy and i call it an action rpg

Last edited:
LMAO i did enjoy that little detail but the advantage of making decisions while looking like YOU is unmatched for an RPG(ME,skyrim,Divinity os)
oh hell no
i dont wanna play as a fat male with thic glasses...^^

but your totaly correct.. making your own char is a pillar for me... i did enjoy playing gerald... but you did play someone else
if you can customize.. well you maybe dont play you.. but you play something you created
Post automatically merged:

As it stands, I agree with you that TW3 is 10 times the game CP is.

It's so much more fleshed out than CP is.

With that said,

I think CP has a thousand times more potential than TW3. Both as an RPG and as a game. I like how Icinix puts it, if you played a role/feel like you roleplayed and participated in that character's, custom or otherwise, story then, yes, it's an RPG.

As such, to me, both games are. TW3 simply is much deeper. Through it's choices and effects on the world around it. The lore, literally changing through your actions. Through it's application of it's lore into the characters, villages, monsters, etc. It's your typical fantasy but it was applied masterfully well.

I mean, CP throws this gorgeous city at you in which you are constantly reminded how appearances are everything yet gives you so little control over your appearance. A city where your reputation as a merc changes everything, yet a system that doesn't even puts this in practice. The list goes on but you get the idea.

Granted, CDPR had 3 games to flesh out how they want to do things with the series. It showed.

I can role play V more than i could ever Geralt but then i could go into COD an "role play" a soldier if i desired

Icinix basically hit the nail on the head i'll just add you get out of CP whatever you want, you can play it as a looter/shooter a action/adventure or a rpg it's upto you and dont let anyone else tell you different.

Its easy to get lost in the mechanics of games and say this or that is not an RPG. I've played every style of game both on computers and with pencils and rulebooks. Whether or not it's an RPG is not the question. What you want out of a game is. Again I stress I'm not talking about mechanics but why you play. For me the mechanics are like writing in a book. There are rules about what order they go in how they are made into words, how words are made into sentences etc etc. But they are not important. Its the story and the ideas. The flexing of your imagination. I remember, when I was a child, reading a book. I was having a great time. It only hit me when I stopped reading that, for some unknown amount of time I hadn't been In my bedroom at all. Coming back to reality was almost a shock. I like this game because, even inspite of all the c**p of the launch, it gives me a feeling close to the ones I had as a kid. For a fifty year old like me that is a very rare coin.

This is basically 1:30:00 of the guy explaining why Cyberpunk 2077 has more choices and RPG elements than the Witcher 3.

Its easy to get lost in the mechanics of games and say this or that is not an RPG. I've played every style of game both on computers and with pencils and rulebooks. Whether or not it's an RPG is not the question. What you want out of a game is. Again I stress I'm not talking about mechanics but why you play. For me the mechanics are like writing in a book. There are rules about what order they go in how they are made into words, how words are made into sentences etc etc. But they are not important. Its the story and the ideas. The flexing of your imagination. I remember, when I was a child, reading a book. I was having a great time. It only hit me when I stopped reading that, for some unknown amount of time I hadn't been In my bedroom at all. Coming back to reality was almost a shock. I like this game because, even inspite of all the c**p of the launch, it gives me a feeling close to the ones I had as a kid. For a fifty year old like me that is a very rare coin.
i hear you...
had the same when when i did read the old Dragonlance or books from R.A. Salvatore
did feal the same about the game
i did share tears on some parts of the game... and that realy means something.. at last for me

From narrative point of view creating your own character(I'm not talking about visuals) is detrimental to the story you can tell, because as a writer you have to accommodate to all possible combination and by doing so you always lose focus of the story. Geralt is establish character in the world who have his own personality, preferences and believes this make possible to put him narratively in situations that challenge him and this contribute to our pleasure as a players because we have to make those memorable choices.
V on the other hand have to be blank slate(as many characters before and after him) with very simple backstory that can't have much impact(or you fall into the trap like for example Witcher 2 where you create product that is split into two separate parts that most players never see), cdpr believed that Johnny Silverhand will be this anchor for story and provide narrative challenge(devil on your/player shoulder), by changing "terrorist who care only about himself" into someone other or just make him to reflect on himself and they partially achieve that but to see that as a player you have to do specific quests that gives you possibility to interact with him(and most important one can easily be missed as side jobs/quests)
In other words all depends on how you define RPG. If you as a player want to "play yourself" than cyberpunk is better rpg but if you want to role play as character from other world who is part of his world than Witcher is better by giving better narrative experience.

This is a bang on post. The times that I actually get sucked into games these days are so few and far between. I used to jump between games all the time when I was younger, now I need a good one that draws me I can play for long periods, otherwise it just (figuratively) goes on the shelf and I probably won't look at it again.

Cyberpunk does that. In spite of its flaws.

This is a bang on post. The times that I actually get sucked into games these days are so few and far between. I used to jump between games all the time when I was younger, now I need a good one that draws me I can play for long periods, otherwise it just (figuratively) goes on the shelf and I probably won't look at it again.

Cyberpunk does that. In spite of its flaws.

That hits close to home. I rarely get really sucked into a game these days, just like you. CP2077 manages to suck me in despite it's flaws. Much more than TW3 ever did. The entire game simply appeals more to me than TW3.

The problem is that because of it's flaws, I can't play for long periods of time. Not because these flaws stop me, my experience is pretty much flawless from a technical standpoint. It's because these flaws mean that once I'm done with the game... I'll pretty much be done with it forever or until some major content addition happens. Which means if I play too much of it, I'll be done with it in no time. Which means I can only play it in bite sized chunks and that disappoints me greatly, especially since there is so much potential for so much more with CP2077.

fun fact: halo is an RPG

you PLAY the ROLE of masterchief in the GAME halo

halo, witcher 3, and cp77 are rpg's if you want to get technical. if you're not arguing semantics, none are

Top Bottom