Is smoking actually all that bad in game?

+
People get kind of snooty about Judy’s smoking but in a world of cyber ware replacements (including lungs) is it really such a bad thing?

Still bad!
But also depend... Cyberwares can save your life only if you can afford it... Most of people in Night City probably can't. Then also depend of your life style... Let's say that Johnny and Dex smoked, but at the end, they didn't die because of cigaret (a bit like all the gangs members or corpos that V killed along her journey. Doesn't matter if they smoked^^).

As an ex-smoker who still enjoys the occasional quality cigar, yeah, it's still bad but people who have never smoked just don't understand the literal calm that the simple act of smoking can bring you when one is going through some more difficult moments. Hence the snootyness some display.

I stopped because it's definitely bad for you but in a world like CP2077's "bad for you" is describing pretty much everything. Everything is synthetic, including meat. If we ever get to that point, smoking will be the least of people's problems, regardless of artificial lungs or not.

Ultimately, it's just a game. No one is hurt by this and it's not like CDPR is glorifying the use of tobacco either.

As an ex-smoker who still enjoys the occasional quality cigar, yeah, it's still bad but people who have never smoked just don't understand the literal calm that the simple act of smoking can bring you when one is going through some more difficult moments. Hence the snootyness some display.

I stopped because it's definitely bad for you but in a world like CP2077's "bad for you" is describing pretty much everything. Everything is synthetic, including meat. If we ever get to that point, smoking will be the least of people's problems, regardless of artificial lungs or not.

Ultimately, it's just a game. No one is hurt by this and it's not like CDPR is glorifying the use of tobacco either.

So, just wondering do you think Lizzy Wizzy is getting any kind of 'benefit' from smoking? I never smoked, but I'm curious if she is getting a 'high' or whatever it's called. Since her body is practically all synthetic, and I guess Johnny for that matter. I don't know how he has a cigarette to begin with, but whatever. Speaking of, how does Johnny have a cigarette anyway?

I don't think it's so bad in this setting. There are so many things that could kill you at any moment. Plus you are already dead, we get shot in the head. if someone wants a smoke I'm not gonna sit there and give them a lecture on the dangers of a brief moment of calmness. Everyone knows the risks and we have a choice. Yes I am a smoker, and yes it is a filthy habit which is one of the hardest to kick, but nothing beats that feeling.
Post automatically merged:

If someone argues that cdpr are glorifying cigarettes, and not the amount of drugs and or inhalers we use. Something is definitely wrong. I would love to be able to walk around in game and light a cigarette even just for role-play purposes.

And I don't want to use cyberscript haha.

I don't know how he has a cigarette to begin with, but whatever. Speaking of, how does Johnny have a cigarette anyway?
Lizzie, my guess > by habit and for the pleasure to smoke (weird for non-smokers, but it is a pleasure when your addicted^^)
Johnny don't have cigarette, it's an "imaginary cigarette". That's why he said to V that living in her body is not a picnic (because he is craving nicotine). And when V have a "real" cigarette, it's Evelyn's (the ones in the cigarette case that Judy gives to V before going to the Clouds).
I would love to be able to walk around in game and light a cigarette even just for role-play purposes.
Not everywhere, but I think in Japan Town apartment, you can light a cigarette and smoke :)

Last edited:

And to add to what you said, I don't think people understand how much the habit takes hold of you and then the addiction to nicotine itself is very powerful. I smoked cigarettes for decades and quit only within the past five years. I've snuck a few here and there and it would be VERY easy to just start smoking again. People who haven't been smokers simply do not and can not know the deal with it unless maybe they've been addicted to something else like coke or heroin

All that aside, it's a video game and one with a mature rating; characters also drink and kill.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I could kill for a cigarette sometimes...

So, just wondering do you think Lizzy Wizzy is getting any kind of 'benefit' from smoking? I never smoked, but I'm curious if she is getting a 'high' or whatever it's called. Since her body is practically all synthetic, and I guess Johnny for that matter. I don't know how he has a cigarette to begin with, but whatever. Speaking of, how does Johnny have a cigarette anyway?
Lizzie, my guess > by habit and for the pleasure to smoke (weird for non-smokers, but it is a pleasure when your addicted^^)
Johnny don't have cigarette, it's an "imaginary cigarette". That's why he said to V that living in her body is not a picnic (because he is craving nicotine). And when V have a "real" cigarette, it's Evelyn's (the ones in the cigarette case that Judy gives to V before going to the Clouds).

Not everywhere, but I think in Japan Town apartment, you can light a cigarette and smoke :)

You both are thinking only about the physical component of it.

I'm talking about the psychological aspect of it, forget the addiction.

Let me elaborate. Back when I was a smoker, and addicted to cigarette, I would find peace and calmness in these moments where I'd go out and smoke. I stopped a decade ago. I am now a father of three, a husband and I have a very demanding job. All of my time is dedicated to other people and I do it voluntarily and happily. I get very little time for myself but, like everyone else, I need time for myself.

One of those moment is that one cigar every year that I smoke at the same time of the year, every year. No one in their right mind would call me addicted - I don't crave cigarette (or tobacco in general) and if for some reason I can't get that cigar it doesn't affect me in the slightest. So every year, we have a week long boat trip and there is this one hour that's just mine. I sit on the upper deck and enjoy that cigar. I make sure the kids are not anywhere near me and my wife will let me enjoy that one hour despite her dislike for tobacco because she knows just how much that one hour recharges my batteries. It's a moment that's just entirely mine - no worries, no thinking about anything, just enjoying the moment.

Now, to be clear, it's not the only such moment I get, it's just one of them. These moments are incredibly important in a person's life. People have various ways of experiencing these moments. For me, and it's definitely because I used to be a smoker, this is one of them. It's not about nicotine, it's not even about the cigar, it's the peace and quiet of the moment. Could it be achieved in other ways? Surely. But I enjoy it and it's almost become a ritual at this point. I know plenty of ex-smokers who feel this way about smoking and miss these moments. It seems weird to non-smokers because they don't know what it's like and it's easy to attribute it to addiction but not everything about smoking is negative.

Sooooo..... after this needlessly long-winded post, @Andrew_Waples, I would assume Lizzie smokes purely out of habit and enjoying smoking as there is definitely no physical addiction component for her. Unless her artificial lungs are somehow not filtering nicotine so she can get her dose but that would seem a bit counter intuitive.

You both are thinking only about the physical component of it.
I'm talking about the psychological aspect of it, forget the addiction.
I don't "only" think about addiction :)
I'm a long time smoker too. And I smoke because in enjoy it and indeed, addicted... (But how great it is to sit in the garden in the morning in summer with a coffee and a cigarette watching the sun rise^^). I never managed to smoke cigars, too strong for me :)

Lizzie is purely by habit and pleasure, and when I talk about Johnny, I simply quote him in game ;)
(I skip the part about hormones if V is a female^^)
V : How it is to live in my body ?
Johnny : Before, not 5 minutes went by without having a fresh cigarette in my mouth, so I crave of nicotin... Ok, I start to get used, but it is not a f...king picnic!

I don't "only" think about addiction :)
I'm a long time smoker too. And I smoke because in enjoy it and indeed, addicted... (But how great it is to sit in the garden in the morning in summer with a coffee and a cigarette watching the sun rise^^).

Perhaps I didn't word it perfectly, obviously non-smokers and smokers alike are well aware that there is a psychological component to it. I was simply working with what you had written and you made it sound like the pleasure one might get from enjoying a smoke is derived entirely from the addiction which isn't always true. That's all I'm saying.

Obviously, you understand that based off your own example but that wasn't in your previous post.

I never managed to smoke cigars, too strong for me :)

Like regular cigarettes, there are various strengths of cigars. Some are most definitely smoother than some of the stronger cigarettes out there. Not trying to convince you to smoke them. They're obviously worse than cigarettes for your health being unfiltered and all. Just saying that there are probably some out there you could easily handle.

Then again, to each their own.

"IS SMOKING ACTUALLY ALL THAT BAD IN GAME?"

Not for me personally but can imagine it is for some other people.

I am a non-smoker. I tried a couple times and never liked it. I am not interested in inhaling anything even tentatively narcotic in nature. And yes, I believe nicotine is a narcotic. Not to mention all the health related issues smoking causes.

All that being said, I love characters smoking in games because it's so unheard of. Also, a virtual world in which smoking is not something frown upon? It's so surreal. It makes the world of Cyberpunk even more fascinating.

Quick reminder to all that we don't permit discussion of real world alcohol / narcotics / controlled substances. Discussion of smoking as it exists in the fictional world of Cyberpunk is fine. Discussion of real-world experiences with smoking is not.

Keep it on the game world.

Yes and no.

It's a largely dystopian fictional world in which everything is part of an ever expanding trash heap (especially people), exemplified visually by the trash mountains just outside the city. In that sense, it fits with a broad array of choices and activities in the game world that burn people out and use them up, sometimes literally.

That being said, it's horrible to me if forced on my character, which arguably it is in one instance. The only issue I have with the Judy encounter is that my character, who is on record in the game multiple times as having a strong opposition to smoking to the point of almost taunting Johnny about it, would have tossed the cigarette case long before it became a point of discussion with Judy.

Top Bottom