Is the game becoming a bad copy of Hearthstone?

+
Let's drop the discussion of what the community wants and focus more on what you (do not) want and, more importantly, why you feel this way.

As soon as they showed the new animation effects, I found them very irksome. I thought it was just new, that I'd get used to it and all will be fine.

I realized why I dislike them so much: they clash with the rest of the game's aesthetics. Most cards have realistic and visceral artwork and animations: torture, mutilation, child abuse, slavery, murder. There's a skull being split by a hammer, people burning to ash, humans and creatures moments before death. The floaty card draws, the cartoony effect and number animations are really at odds with that, not fitting the tone of the rest of the game.

Hydrahead;n10023851 said:
Can't we stop using the word "complaining" from now on? It's called feedback/constructive criticism. That's what a forum is for among other things. I'm not sure you are in a position to know that the community wanted a change anyway.

Only reason I used complaining and not contructive criticism is because you never gave an idea of how to fix these issues you think are coming with the next patch, you only said you didnt like what you were seeing and compared two games that are very different. So why not go ahead and think of how can they improve the game and tell them? that is what constructive criticism is, not just saying "I dont like these so it shouldnt be in the game".

And I dont see how you are in a better position than me to know what the community wanted, so why are you entitled to say that most people didnt want these changes?
Every streamer/youtuber I watch mentioned that they wanted most of this changes for months now so its not like Im making things up here, its a fact.
Btw its funny how you mentioned Merchant in your original post when he happens to be one of those people that wanted a better UI interface for mulligan/deck building wich is exactly what we are getting with the next patch.

Raunbjorn

Shuls02;n10025291 said:
Only reason I used complaining and not contructive criticism is because you never gave an idea of how to fix these issues you think are coming with the next patch, you only said you didnt like what you were seeing and compared two games that are very different. So why not go ahead and think of how can they improve the game and tell them? that is what constructive criticism is, not just saying "I dont like these so it shouldnt be in the game".

And I dont see how you are in a better position than me to know what the community wanted, so why are you entitled to say that most people didnt want these changes?
Every streamer/youtuber I watch mentioned that they wanted most of this changes for months now so its not like Im making things up here, its a fact.
Btw its funny how you mentioned Merchant in your original post when he happens to be one of those people that wanted a better UI interface for mulligan/deck building wich is exactly what we are getting with the next patch.

The only reason I mentioned Merchant was cause he overused the word "genuinely". C'mon I was just trying to be funny. Just let it go.

And the reason I'm not giving examples of how to improve the game is because I don't think it needs to be "improved" in the first place. It's fine the way it is. More cards are kewl but they shouldn't deviate from the game the way they are doing. (This is just my personal opinion obviously). A card like Greatswords were a great addition to the game. Cards like that make for a healthy improvement imo.

Well if they wanted to make the game feel like a copy of HS, they are certainly making a step in the "right" direction with this cartoonish UI and the whole shiny&kitschy effects. I must admit it is one thing i really have not been expecting. Call it a preparation for the mobile edition or whatever but it just hurts to look at it.

On the bright side i really needed a break from Gwent and this will come as a good motivation:).

quantum_number;n10024411 said:
As soon as they showed the new animation effects, I found them very irksome. I thought it was just new, that I'd get used to it and all will be fine.
I realized why I dislike them so much: they clash with the rest of the game's aesthetics. Most cards have realistic and visceral artwork and animations: torture, mutilation, child abuse, slavery, murder. There's a skull being split by a hammer, people burning to ash, humans and creatures moments before death. The floaty card draws, the cartoony effect and number animations are really at odds with that, not fitting the tone of the rest of the game

Totally agree with the above. It´s part of the identity of the game, its atmosphere

Eliadann;n10043741 said:
Totally agree with the above. It´s part of the identity of the game, its atmosphere

I agree with all of that also. I love the faster response of the UI and the layout for your collection and deck, but the cartoonish animations have really put me off. That said I have been more interested in the new cards and how they will affect the meta. Enjoying toying around with some new decks so far so I'd say overall well done.

4RM3D;n10024101 said:
Let's drop the discussion of what the community wants and focus more on what you (do not) want and, more importantly, why you feel this way.

That is fair. After spending days watching over the reveal of the cards, people streaming PTR and playing the patch for a few hours, I can now at least say what I personally want. I would like to see a rollback of the patch (removal of all new cards as well) and keeping on playing previous patch.

That is the want, now, more importantly - why. I quit Heartstone because it implemented RNG-based cards that were actually played in ranked as well as most of the mechanics on the cards themselves were extremely simple, not allowing for cool and complex synergies. Came to Gwent to see beautifully crafted, complicated card-game that stayed true to it's original source material. Spend about 50$, got some decks crafted and enjoyed the game for almost a year (mind, I played Witcher 3 and spent... stupid amount of time playing Gwent in it). Every single update stirred the game into different direction but at no point I felt like I am playing a different game. Today ,after 7 matches, I lost the will to play more. Every single card that changed was simplified, removing unique feeling from Factions (Monsters especially) and, in some cases, just creating completely useless cards (Foglet is a strong example of that). The UI had some really good changes (deck builder and collection merge) but overall aesthetics and interactions felt ... cheap? Kid-friendly? Text became slightly harder to read, keywords are downright useless now (replace "consume" with "destroy" and you will get exactly the same sentence length and exactly the same meaning) and a lot of number tweaks showed that the game is overall going into more simple direction.(Ocvist change, for example, old card allowed for clever moves to align with Igni, Scorch, Ballistas). Another one is making everything Agile while a few cards still says specific rows (strong inconsistency - Woodland Spirit ) New RNG-based cards just overall diluting the uniqueness of silvers and golds as well as provide a completely unpredictable swing in the game; making deck-building decisions much easier, I can just hope for good RNG and win in a tough situation instead of putting good answers to the meta into my deck. So, this is my what and why.

With love and respect
Sorry for broken English.

Last edited:
I quited the game after the beta version and few updates later. I had almost all the cards of the game. I could play any build and win almost every game. I come back few month later, and then the game was on beta and I lost all my cards, everything had changed, and every update the game was different. A bit like hearthstone with new decks and cards. That's what made me quit that game and also gwent online. You can't just play it casually, you always have to rebuild your decks and keep up with every update.

So now when I want to play gwent I just launch witcher 3, and play a gwent tournament on hard difficulty, or I invite friends and we have couple of beers while playing the physical editions. Lot more fun. Luckily the paper does not get updated :)

The_Dark_Sun;n10045421 said:
The UI had some really good changes (deck builder and collection merge) but overall aesthetics and interactions felt ... cheap? Kid-friendly? Text became slightly harder to read, keywords are downright useless now (replace "consume" with "destroy" and you will get exactly the same sentence length and exactly the same meaning) and a lot of number tweaks showed that the game is overall going into more simple direction.(Ocvist change, for example, old card allowed for clever moves to align with Igni, Scorch, Ballistas). Another one is making everything Agile while a few cards still says specific rows (strong inconsistency - Woodland Spirit ) New RNG-based cards just overall diluting the uniqueness of silvers and golds as well as provide a completely unpredictable swing in the game; making deck-building decisions much easier, I can just hope for good RNG and win in a tough situation instead of putting good answers to the meta into my deck. So, this is my what and why.

My feelings as well mate. RIP Gwent. Hurrah for HSwent.

it realy looks like they choose to go the more comic look like fun way for Gwent , the force-to-be-funny text on Half-Elv Hunter shows that.
thats makes me realy sad, not only because it breaks the immersion.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I know there are way more serious issues with the game right now that need debating, but have you guys checked the new Gold 'Phoenix'? Considering it's the star of this event, i checked it out, to consider how it could be used.

So, Phoenixes are known to "rise from the ashes" and stuff. Even the title you earn from the event is 'Reborn'. So WHY THE HELL IS PHOENIX DOOMED? Not that the card is great and everyone would be using it twice, with Renew, but the one gold card it made sense not to be doomed, and it is...
:huh:

DRK3;n10065991 said:
I know there are way more serious issues with the game right now that need debating, but have you guys checked the new Gold 'Phoenix'? Considering it's the star of this event, i checked it out, to consider how it could be used.

So, Phoenixes are known to "rise from the ashes" and stuff. Even the title you earn from the event is 'Reborn'. So WHY THE HELL IS PHOENIX DOOMED? Not that the card is great and everyone would be using it twice, with Renew, but the one gold card it made sense not to be doomed, and it is...
:huh:

Hahaha, you're completely right! It's like anti-lore thing ;) It could have some nice ability which would be putting him back on the board after destroy.

Top Bottom