Is the game guide worth it?

+
So despite the CDPR Higher Ups lying about Last Gen performance (luckily I am on PC) and despite things from the trailers not being ingame (but they did say trailers arent representative of final gameplay) and despite missing the most obvious things like ingame character and vehicle customizing and a legendary version of Lizzies gun...I am loving this game, I am over 100 hours in and on my 2nd run and I want to do at least 2 more after.

So what I am saying is I am a fan of the game, I have ordered the World of Cyberpunk book and am probably going to get some more merch but I want to know if the game guide is worth it? How detailed is it...does it tell you howto 100% the game?

I havent bought one of these 'brady-style' guides since GTAIV

Last edited:
I'm happy that you feel you got your moneys worth and can enjoy the game.

Personally I cant even start the game without feeling extremely disappointed with what we got. Probably not the smartest idea to spend the most of a decade teasing a plethora a features to build up anticipation just to cut it all at the finish line and its a bit deceiving as well.

I wish I could enjoy it as you do but it will take a ton of content updates for me to get there. Adding car customization won't earn them any credit with me as it was feature that was supposed to be there to begin with a lot others..

The experience on Xbox One is frustrating because it is a fun game for sure, but on the other hand the graphics and performance is atrocious. Such a shame, not sure if it's fixable.

The experience on Xbox One is frustrating because it is a fun game for sure, but on the other hand the graphics and performance is atrocious. Such a shame, not sure if it's fixable.

I think that in this environment everything or almost everything can be 'fixed'. This may take more time.

The game guide is good and every other lore guide is amazing BUT... heres the thing. We didnt see anything of it. The corps.. their revenge, the gangs and theiir dealings... there is nothing there. Hell you even start as a corpo assassin and nothing happens... No one tried to flatline you after the start... that doesnt work like that. Everything is wrong in the game world.

The game guide is good and every other lore guide is amazing BUT... heres the thing. We didnt see anything of it. The corps.. their revenge, the gangs and theiir dealings... there is nothing there. Hell you even start as a corpo assassin and nothing happens... No one tried to flatline you after the start... that doesnt work like that. Everything is wrong in the game world.

That's what I was wondering. Seeing as how guides are written or started before a game is fully ready are there things mentioned in the guide that were cut from the game?

For those enjoying it, Glad!! In the times we are living in If you can find something to escape reality for a bit. Its a good thing! I have 140 hrs so i don't hate it But i am not blown away like i was with Witcher 2 and 3. So for me CDPR really didn't live up to the standards they set with Witcher 3. Hopefully in a year this game will be totaly different .. But honestly it's a let down...Enjoyable...but a let down.

Prior to this game launch CDPR was the best Game developer out Period, with the best and solid track record for caring for their fans. When i bought a game, I went to GOG to support them, When Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk preorders went up, I bought immediately..

This is no longer the case ...Sadly

Game guides are utterly dumb. It's like... why would you go to the movies and then PAY someone to sit next to you and constantly tell you what's gonna happen next?

Just... why?

If you mean Piggyback's guide, then yes, especially the hardback. Well, it's worth it for *me*. Both their guide for CP and their guide for RDR2 are impressive books.

What I'll say about the books is:
  • They're huge, full of information, full-color pages, but with all the info they're trying to provide, the text ends up rather small (I had to pull out reading glasses for it, but then I'm also getting older)
  • After enough time, a lot of the info will end up online (as it is now for RDR2), but when the game is first released (and for whatever amount of time it takes) the info Piggyback puts in their guide is invaluable to have
  • Based on their RDR2 book, it looks like the books go out of print, and then are only found for 2x the cost or more (eg $80+ for the RDR2 book this year vs $40 msrp). After fighting to find the RDR2 book for a decent price this year, I didn't hesitate to get the CP book at release.
  • Particular things I've found useful in the CP book so far have been:
    • lists of "easily missed" items in a mission (wish I'd realized that list was there before missing the katana in the heist mission)
    • understanding the overall flow of the mission tree (much, much better than I've found anywhere online), and the countless side jobs
    • graph of area vs level difficulty, helps me better plot out what areas are in my reach and which areas to not waste my time in (nothing more annoying than collecting items that have a level req of 10 levels above my level)

No idea.

But it does occur to me that the game is in such an unfinished state and I assume HUGE game changing (literally) patches and updates are incoming, how accurate would a physical guide be?

If you mean Piggyback's guide, then yes, especially the hardback. Well, it's worth it for *me*. Both their guide for CP and their guide for RDR2 are impressive books.

What I'll say about the books is:
  • They're huge, full of information, full-color pages, but with all the info they're trying to provide, the text ends up rather small (I had to pull out reading glasses for it, but then I'm also getting older)
  • After enough time, a lot of the info will end up online (as it is now for RDR2), but when the game is first released (and for whatever amount of time it takes) the info Piggyback puts in their guide is invaluable to have
  • Based on their RDR2 book, it looks like the books go out of print, and then are only found for 2x the cost or more (eg $80+ for the RDR2 book this year vs $40 msrp). After fighting to find the RDR2 book for a decent price this year, I didn't hesitate to get the CP book at release.
  • Particular things I've found useful in the CP book so far have been:
    • lists of "easily missed" items in a mission (wish I'd realized that list was there before missing the katana in the heist mission)
    • understanding the overall flow of the mission tree (much, much better than I've found anywhere online), and the countless side jobs
    • graph of area vs level difficulty, helps me better plot out what areas are in my reach and which areas to not waste my time in (nothing more annoying than collecting items that have a level req of 10 levels above my level)
Cool, I grabbed the Standard Edition

the guide is full of interesting details, I didnt find by myself. I used it after the ending when I returned to my last save. I will use it again for my 2nd game. The book is not necessary, I wanted to have an physical object/item about the game.

I boutgh myself a collectors edition of the piggyback CP guide and i can recommend it. It is really well made, full of information, and really well organised, so you can find anything quickly.

I was able to get the piggyback version for 24 dollars on amazon. THAT was barley worth it. Well I should not say barley that is too strong a criticism, lets say I did not want to return it. But unfortunately I found that 80% of the general info are things you would learn in game and on the internet. It is not like the old days when I automatically purchased an official guide book for every single player AAA game I got and would pour over it with glee during all my lunch breaks. Those days the books had REAL secrets and clear esoteric advice and was not padded with artwork and lore (the stuff you see in game).

The flow charts use circular referencing such as mission paths like MJ2 -> MJ3 -> MJ4 instead of using their proper mission titles so that you are constantly having to reference back and fourth in the book (and I have very strong contextual memory * so this is irritating ). That turned out to be the biggest disappointment as that was primarily what I wanted the book for.

And for GODs SAKE the print is small, I need jewelers spectacles to read it (no exaggeration) which often would drive me to just find a website instead. Or maybe I just got too old. :shrug:

* https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-walking-through-doorway-makes-you-forget/

EDIT: If you were only getting it for the artwork and lore, like a collectors item, than for 24 dollars it was more than worth the money!

Last edited:
Top Bottom