Is the game much darker on PC and PS4 now?

+
Is it me, or is the game on PC too dark (pitch black) in dark areas (at night) and overexposed in bright ones (in the daytime) after patch 1.2? I could easily play CP2077 in the morning or in the afternoon before 1.2. Now I can hardly see anything. Adjusting the gamma does not help. :(

I know that they made PS4 version much darker with this patch. Is it the same with PC version?

CP2077_pitch_black.jpg

Screenshot from Digital Foundry video.

Maybe someone is still using 1.12 version of the game? We could compare some screenshots (from 1.12 and 1.2) taken in the same spot at the same (game) time.

Last edited:
Is it me, or is the game on PC too dark (pitch black) in dark areas (at night) and overexposed in bright ones (in the daytime) after patch 1.2? I could easily play CP2077 in the morning or in the afternoon before 1.2. Now I can hardly see anything. Adjusting the gamma does not help. :(

I know that they made PS4 version much darker with this patch. Is it the same with PC version?

View attachment 11207482

Maybe someone is still using 1.12 version of the game? We could compare some screenshots (from 1.12 and 1.2) taken in the same spot at the same (game) time.
I am (still using 1.12). PC, gog. And i made a screenshot yesterday near Claire's garage fast travel point, game time is skipped to something like noon (don't remember exact hour) - anyhow, bright sunlight as you can see. Perhaps this can be used to compare?

quadras.jpg

Here are some photos with pitch black spots. I included the map with the exact time of taking the shot (usually around midnight).

1)
dark1_full.jpg

2)
dark2_full.jpg

3)
dark3_full.jpg

4)
dark4_full.jpg

5)
dark5_full.jpg

6)
dark6_full.jpg

7)
dakr7_full.jpg

Could you check if these places look the same for you (on 1.12 or any other previous version of the game)?

And by "overexposed" I meant something like this:
overexposed.jpg

Post automatically merged:

I found the place from Digital Foundry video and took a shot. Fortunately, it seems that the scene on PC is not as dark as on PS4. Case closed?

cyber_ps4_xbox_pc1.jpg

Last edited:
Case pretty much closed, yes. Not only because of PS4 comparison, but also because all the screenshots you said having "pitch black" areas - they don't have any. None i can see. Means, the problem is in part caused by your display and/or GPU settings. I'd increase gamma, increase brightness, and/or decrease contrast on your display and/or in GPU settings.

There have always been pitch black areas in my opinion, and using Raytracing will make the game considerably darker. Not sure if you are using it.

CP2077 STILL doesn't have a basic flashlight, or nightvision cybernetic. A flashlight is a necessity, especially one that you attach to guns. Anybody want to hear what GTA5 also has? It has flashlights attached to guns..

The lighting has been garbage from day 1. Everything is oversaturated and I can't even understand why. In the 2018 demo the colors and lighting was perfectly natural, now you go blind every time you walk outside during the dya and characters look like the textures are lit from a ghotlight compared to the surroundings. (similar to characterlight in Fallout 4 that can be toggles off via the console, luckily).

What's more baffling is that no one seems to talk about it.

The game looks like shit, and there is literally nothing you can do because it's engine-side.

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about, here is a fallout cl comparison.

There have always been pitch black areas in my opinion, and using Raytracing will make the game considerably darker. Not sure if you are using it.

CP2077 STILL doesn't have a basic flashlight, or nightvision cybernetic. A flashlight is a necessity, especially one that you attach to guns. Anybody want to hear what GTA5 also has? It has flashlights attached to guns..
not only gta but nearly every shooter in the last couple of years...

not only gta but nearly every shooter in the last couple of years...
This I actually never understood why is not implemented...in the 1st Deus Ex in 2000 (also veryyy dark game in some places)you start with "flashlight"-kind of default implant- that breaks your stealth and then you can shift to night vision googles or a night vision eye implant(all of them drain energy so time limited),which is perfectly compatible with cp2077 inventory/upgrades/clothing system.

My guess is that the lighting of the city is well integrated into their optimization equation. Meaning it's one of the elements that affects performance.
I also notice it's much darker on the ps4 pro where i didn't change any display settings.
It's also my guess on why they didn't put a flashlight available

Impossible that they did not think for some sort of night vision cyberware, but no time for, the game have to be released :)

what? The overlay is already there. You know the braindance has thermal, right? Applying that overlay on the game to be used as a vision mode would be laughably easy. The game even says that Kiroshi eyes have thermal vision, you know, the ones Vic specifically says you are getting?

It's justr laziness of the 11th degree. Any sort of combat optics would have thermal and night vision. Adding such an overlay to the game HUD is seriously not hard, it's just as hard as adding a brightness setting to the game, that's what it would do essentially, change hue, brightness and gamma values.

Slap a heavy green filter, fiddle with brightness, gamma and saturation settings and boom. "NIGHTVISION"

Last edited:
what? The overlay is already there. You know the braindance has thermal, right? Applying that overlay on the game to be used as a vision mode would be laughably easy. The game even says that Kiroshi eyes have thermal vision, you know, the ones Vic specifically says you are getting?

It's justr laziness of the 11th degree. Any sort of combat optics would have thermal and night vision. Adding such an overlay to the game HUD is seriously not hard, it's just as hard as adding a brightness setting to the game, that's what it would do essentially, change hue, brightness and gamma values.

Slap a heavy green filter, fiddle with brightness, gamma and saturation settings and boom. "NIGHTVISION"
Its even worse,because you do have a sniper rifle sight with night vision already...is why it beats me so much(i'm not even asking for a night vision that blinds you with a direct light source or a flash grenade)

Yes, maybe it's easy... i don't know, i not a dev at all.
But if you drown that into the "big" list of things to add/modify/fix, i don't think it's on top :D

It could be user settings for brightness. Also light or environmental settings are performance dependent on hardware. Being the PS4 having a lot of issues they probably lower the lighting details to help it run.

I said it from day one. Being in a future setting and having the top of the line optics there is still no flashlight or night vision. A flashlight is a very basic item. Considering the setting of the game is very dark it should be a default item.

I real want to replay this game again but I’ll wait until major improvement or DLCs come out. This game is still half thought out. Great ideas, not enough execution.

The lighting has been garbage from day 1

I wouldn't say lighting is "Garbage", the game definitely benefits from having darkly-lit areas. What it absolutely, unequivocally needs, are light sources of our own to light up those areas. I am NOT talking about ambient lighting, I am talking light source or nightvision carried by V.

I would rather not the problem be solved by increasing ambient lighting which for starters, is way more devtime-consuming; and secondly it would just make things bland, bleached gray, the way Ubisoft games tend to be. Oh wait, Ubisoft actually puts carried (and even throwable) lightsources in their games...

Top Bottom