Is The Witcher 2 the best RPG you have played in years?

+
227 said:
I was making a general statement based on how threads become totally swallowed by that kind of discussion, not calling you out specifically. Since you apparently didn't see that I'll just point out that this...

... is not on topic in any way, shape, or form. Nice try, bud.

I think the pair of you need to get down from your high horses and stop trying to 'outsmart' each other in nit-picking each others comments, its an open discussion, the fact that the question is 'Is The Witcher 2 the best RPG you have played in years?' is begging for comparisons and mentions of other games and their developers.

In answer to the OP, would i say the witcher 2 is the best ive played in years? yes and no, in some areas it really outshines other RPGs that have been and gone in recent years, in others it doesnt, is the overall game fantastic? yes, is the game without flaw? no.

Personally my all time favourite(s) would have to be Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, no other game that i have played has really had the amount of detail and intricacy to it that the BG series had.

Not to say TW2 isnt 'up there' with my favourites (DA:O and ME to name a couple) but for me isnt the best.

Best ever, no personally that honour goes to Torment followed by Ultima VII: The Black Gate. Best games i've played in years, undoubtedly. The Witcher 1 and 2 are very different beasts however. The first is an exploration of the White Wolf and what it means to slay monsters, Assassins of Kings is a desperate pursuit through a world on the cusp of change, and in some ways a far more personal story.

To be honest they've shamed most of the competition around, and are actually innovating both graphically and in gameplay and story. In a time when we're expected to swallow nonsensical gibberesh as the height of narrative, and be content with childish politically correct dross, the Witcher games are sweet ambrosia after a desert of mediocrity, cliche and idiotic drm.

Good gaming.

227 said:
I'm ignoring toast's baiting, so let it go.

That's not a sentence I expected to use today.

glad to hear it!

oh and by the way i wasnt attempting to be righteous, i was stating a fact.

Back to what the OP was about.....

I wasn't trying to bait anyone, so sorry about that 227, I can understand that the ME3/BioWare debacle is a touchy subject with most people.

However, the subject at hand was begging to be compared with what used to be the other great western RPG dev. Anyways just clearing up what I had to say.

For me, The Witcher 2 is best RPG I have ever played. The only other RPG I have ever played before TW2 is Fable II and III (both Fable games are cartoons compared to TW2).

With TW2, I am on my fourth play-thru... This is something I never did in any Fable game. With sixteen different endings, it is great - allowing different choices with every play-thru.

Before TW2 came out, I played COD all the time every day with my friends. TW2 has totally taken me over as far as what games I play currently. I am a huge first person shooter game player. I play MW3 and am in a large clan with over 225 members.

Now, while I am playing TW2, my friends send messages inviting me to play MW3 with them. I tell them that after I finish TW2 I will be playing MW3 again. However, every time after a complete play-thru of TW2, I start another new play-thru of TW2...thinking: "This time in TW2; I will do this and that quest and get 100 Grapeshot bombs to kill the Dragon or whatever"...

I hope they make TW3. I must have it...right now!

Rock4one said:
...and get 100 Grapeshot bombs to kill the Dragon or whatever"...

ok thanks for all the replys....I would just like to know now when does the Witcher 1 pick up i'm currently opn chapter 1...when does the story and character development get better? Thanks

Everything hots up on chapter 2, when you get into Vizima, one of the finest cities ever created in a game. However there are a lot of little things in chapter 1 that will return to haunt you or serve to illustrtae a point, there's a lot of subtle touches.

gregski said:
Seriously, why can't we just get over this whole Bioware cult or something and realise they are not so great any more? Or Baldur's Gate sentiment is going to hold us forever?

Well, for some time (early to late 2000s) Bioware was the only game in town so to speak.

Raedon Labs, Interplay, Black Isle, 3DO, Troika, etc had folded, EA ate Origin, Larian went silent for a long time, Obsidian was playing third fiddle to other franchies, JoWood dumped Piranah bytes, and Beth were still releasing empty sandboxes.

There were some small (and obscure) indies but that was about it. As such for people who grew up in that era, Bioware is their only real point of comparision for other recent RPG's.

Rock4one said:
Now, while I am playing TW2, my friends send messages inviting me to play MW3 with them. I tell them that after I finish TW2 I will be playing MW3 again. However, every time after a complete play-thru of TW2, I start another new play-thru of TW2...thinking: "This time in TW2; I will do this and that quest and get 100 Grapeshot bombs to kill the Dragon or whatever"...

See what CDPR managed to do? Without the need for a "awesome button" either ;)

IMO 2 fixed almost every problem I had with 1.
Immaturity - No more sex cards, no more random women having sex with you in exchange for a ring.
Voice Acting - I'd say the the VA in 2 was a huge improvement over 1.
Combat - No more spamming Igni and killing an entire squad of enemies with two swipes of group style.
Look - There are parts of The Witcher which I feel I could easily confuse with other games in terms of their look, however 2 has its own distinct look. Foltest and Radovid in 1 are just knights with a new head. In two Foltest, Radovid and Henselt all have their personal distinct looks. Even smaller characters like Zyvik, Loredo, all of the dwarves and each of the mages have their own unique things.

Did anyone on here play Max Payne 3? Does that game have a excellent story too?

Also how about Xenoblade Chronicles?

These are two games I plan on getting for their story

gregski said:
A little OT, but it always makes me wonder why people keep saying this every time The Witcher is mentioned. "See Bioware, that's how you should have been" and so on. Seriously, why can't we just get over this whole Bioware cult or something and realise they are not so great any more? Or Baldur's Gate sentiment is going to hold us forever?

I realize now I should have phrased things differently. In no way I want to endorse Bioware right now, and I actually avoid mentioning them unless necessary.

What I meant instead was that considering the release date and tools CDP used (like the Aurora Engine), The Witcher was a game of a quality expected from an established company, the obvious option being Bioware, that yet somehow they failed to deliver. This merely serves to contextualize my answer of why The Witcher is not only great by its own merits but also important given the context in which it was released.

The Bioware that made Baldur's Gate is no more anyway, so whatever happens to the hollow husk they are now is of no concern or transcendence. Proof of that is that the Baldur's Gate license is in different hands now :)

In any case, as I said, both Witcher games rank high in my list of favorites, but TW1 has a unique charm. I will again recommend the OP to try the all-time computer RPG classics mentioned several times in this thread, and then decide for himself which is his favorite.

yayodeanno said:
See what CDPR managed to do? Without the need for a "awesome button" either ;)

The Witcher 1 and 2 ARE action RPGs, so I think the awesome button applies to those games :p but CDPR, whatever you do, never follow on BioWare's marketing scheme.

Guest 2091327

Corylea said:
The game you're in the middle of -- The Witcher 1 -- is a truly wonderful game, with lots of great story-telling, wonderful characters, and some memorable cutscenes. If I were you, I'd pay attention to the game I'm playing right now and enjoy the hell out of it, because while TW1 has a lot of replay value, you only get to play it for the first time ONCE. So concentrate on the wonderful game that's in front of you; some of us like it even better than The Witcher 2.

All hail the Speaker of Truth :)

Well, I haven't actually played the Witcher 2 yet (steady...) because my computer couldn't handle it so I haven't bought it yet (it struggled a certain place in TW1). I certainly want to play it, but have to upgrade the plaything first.

BUT, The Witcher 1 was a fantastic game that I've replayed many a time (and even bought twice). It's of course very different to Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, my other favourite RPGs, but it's a great game, a fantastic game. Enjoy it while you can - especially if this is your first playthrough.

Top Bottom