Is there a lore reason for the gazillion vending machines?

+
Is it supposed to be a commentary on the commercialization of food or something? I get vending machines being around the world, even a lot of them, but there are tons of spots in the game where you'll see a row of like 25 identical vending machines in a line.

It's just weird that there are so many vending machines everywhere when their role in the game is rather pointless (food and drinks are abundant to pickup everywhere). Was wondering if there was some sort of bigger picture reason behind it, lore wise or meta wise or what.

It's very much a lore thing. Ads are everywhere and tailored to you. Two people could look at the same billboard at the same time and see different ads(not in-game but in the lore at least). The lower classes exist to buy stuff and the general public are almost zombies to advertising. There is a vending machine in V's and many other apartments with buttons for everything from soda to joytoys. Were they once intended for a greater purpose I think so but now we may never know.

Last edited:
It's also to show how lazy people have gotten over time. Think of the vending machines much like online deliveries. Exclude pandemic issues. How many times do you go to a store to buy something?

Most people have no Kitchens. Judies Apartment was one of the few I seen and it is amazing that she could affoard that little thing considering lorewise kitchens are a luxury thing.
Most people survive from Vending Machines, Take out places. Ever seen any Grocerie stores in game?

They're useful for the times you run out of ammo and need to disassemble bags of juice in order to get enough p scrap to craft sniper rounds.

Guest 4531988

Is it supposed to be a commentary on the commercialization of food or something? I get vending machines being around the world, even a lot of them, but there are tons of spots in the game where you'll see a row of like 25 identical vending machines in a line.

It's just weird that there are so many vending machines everywhere when their role in the game is rather pointless (food and drinks are abundant to pickup everywhere). Was wondering if there was some sort of bigger picture reason behind it, lore wise or meta wise or what.

Lore wise there was more gun vending machines too.

It could of been different if you riled up the mob and they come bearing down on you in mass numbers with Slaught-o-Matics. However Old Ps4 and X-bone can barely handle a few npcs.

Context man, context!

And then we saw how it went. Brendan didn't cost anymore than any other wending machine, it was that it potentially couldn't meet sales target due certain factor.
Possibly tangential or slightly off topic, but: V has a SCSM in their private dwelling, right. Could you imagine if Brendan was a SCSM in some poor rando's apartment? lmaooo

Last edited:
Possibly tangential or slightly off topic, but: V has a SCSM in their private dwelling, right. Could you imagine if Brendan was a SCSM in some poor rando's apartment? lmaooo

Well you would never get lonely. Would be really weird having a heart to heart with a vending machine AI though. Not because there is anything inherently wrong with that, but because you would be bearing your soul and all his directives are telling him is the best moment to interject so he can sell you a coffee.

It would be like the toaster in Red Dwarf.

One of mine crazy munchkin fellow made the business idea from that. He bought up all the cans from vending machines, braking them into parts, crafting stuff and then sell it for bigger money. The guide to get easy fast money is ready :smart:

What's the point of sll those street food vendors? I'm not talking about the proper stalls but there are guys with grills selling stuff everywhere even in some back alleys in derelict industrial zones...
:shrug:

Guest 4506659

If you consider "filler" lore, then yes.

What's the point of sll those street food vendors? I'm not talking about the proper stalls but there are guys with grills selling stuff everywhere even in some back alleys in derelict industrial zones...
:shrug:
Maybe they're trying to go for the "fresh/hot food is better!" angle?

Lore? Its Night City, the make protein from crickets or worms and food production/distribution is an automated process. Its more like count how many windows there are on a megabuilding. To me it looks like there is just enough vending machines considering how many people live in NC. Ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

Top Bottom