Is there a lore reason for the gazillion vending machines?

+

Guest 4506659

Maybe they're trying to go for the "fresh/hot food is better!" angle?
Hmm, how bout the, "lazy'n cheap" approach is best, kind've how the whole game turned out ... lazy and cheep, lol, pretty disgusting no matter how you look at it.

There's places with vending machines everywhere in Japan like that and it's really weird.

Yeah but the vending machines in Japan rock compared to the ones we have in America. The ones in Night City are closer to them, but still don't match up.

Hmm, how bout the, "lazy'n cheap" approach is best, kind've how the whole game turned out ... lazy and cheep, lol, pretty disgusting no matter how you look at it.
We're talking about the potential lore reasons in this thread not looking for more excuses to make pot shots.

Setting up a stand in an attempt to make a few eddies isn't really lazy. Cheap, sure. Will give you the disgusting part though, wouldn't touch those with a ten-foot pole -- but I didn't grow up in Night City. :ROFLMAO:

No functional supermarkets in Night City, wending machines everywhere. There are some strong hints pointing to what happened.

To get bit deeper. What someone wrote, there's stuff made from worms, it's called Eezybeef. Then there's a pizza that has locust, "milk" has interesting story behind it, there's soy option available for lot of foods. Don't recall I saw any other beef than Eezybeef?

"IS THERE A LORE REASON FOR THE GAZILLION VENDING MACHINES?"

One can only speculate. Maybe they serve as a replacement for the absence of large multi stores, and or to let certain districts look like shopping streets.

If you have the right passport, save up your coins and go max out your time in Japan when the pandemic is done done... do your homework ahead of time and then do what I do. Wander around night and day with zero purpose for weeks on end.

Or just go on YouTube and search about vending machines in Japan.

It's rather alarming the first time. The amount of them, the strange variety, the random ass locations.

In USA, at least in my experience, vending machines are lame af and always the same general stuff everywhere. When they aren't, when it's like soup or coffee or cocoa... you're better off going to the basic vending machine if you've no other options. Although different people like different things, so maybe some of you are into that.

In Japan, they got like pasta vending machines, pizza vending machines where the box itself works like an oven. They got all kinda stuff. Even vending machines for masks.

Cyberpunk genre cities are mostly inspired by Japan.. primarily Tokyo.. In CP2077, this is also very clearly the main inspiration for Night City.. as well as of course there's Arasaka and all that. It's the free independent city backed by Arasaka. So it's far more influenced by all of that and not a real north American style of metro.

One thing about locations too.. in USA, every vending machine I ever recall encountering was either in a business area, school area, rest stop or hospital. This isn't the case with Japan.

Yeah but the vending machines in Japan rock compared to the ones we have in America. The ones in Night City are closer to them, but still don't match up.

I wish they would put some different things in them, that's for sure

I did find a vending machine that sells pistols, but yeah, if they want to be true to the Japanese-inspired aesthetic they're going for, then there should be vending machines selling EVERYTHING.

Guns
Ammo
T-shirts
Boosters for Health, Stamina, Capacity, etc.
Booze
What else?

Two people could look at the same billboard at the same time and see different ads(not in-game but in the lore at least).

HOLLLYY SHHHEEEEEEeeee ta!

I know it is a game "glitch" but I often would see billboards change from some default image to a new advertisement just as I would get close enough for image pop (the LOD) in to occur or when the game first starts and is loading in the world. At first I thought it was suppose to change every few minutes to rotate their advertising. But standing watching them for long periods of time they did not. Only when I got close to them.

Such an eerie coincidence that the lore would explain this glitch as technology done on purpose! :eek:

Someone else asked why V had no kitchen in the apartment! My Dystopia civilization logic says that her apartment is $ subsidized as long as she agrees to have a vending machine instead of a kitchen.

Last edited:
I would so laugh my ass off if we would get a dlc with Brendan to bring him together with another vending machine. :D
Or Brendan would be another romance.

I honestly think they added so many vending machines because the world is so empty. It's a panic solution to the emptiness problem.

Top Bottom