Is there a point to play currently? Only one deck is owning the game

+
Is there a point to play currently? Only one deck is owning the game

Hello,

First of all, I like Gwent a lot. I am a huge fan! I played more on gwent in the witcher than the witcher. The first quest lines I was always finishing and rushing to do, to the small hours, were the gwent quests to get new cards. I am extremely happy that an independent Gwent game is being designed. But...

I hope it is due to beta, because the small number of cards, and balancing issues, make that one deck is wining like 85% of the time. And of course, this is the deck you have to fight 85% of the time. I have called it the "endless blue/gold resurection deck".

I have done 83 ranked games. I am level 16/4; rating 1210 with 41 win 42 loss. a few days ago I had like 16 win / 12 loss, and then people adapted ...

My last 20 games, I fought like 16 times the "endless blue/gold resurection deck". I won maybe 3 times against them.

What about the other cards?

If situation does not improve, people might stop playing ranking games within a few weeks, and that would be sad.

Of course this is beta, and I do hope more cards will come, together with balancing that will set this right.

Now, apart from that, here are my 2 cents:

- Sometimes gold cards are affected by other gold cards, sometimes not. Example: "Geralt: Aard" does not push them back, but "Imlerith" damges them. I know it is written in the special effect description, but wouldn't it be more logical if all gold cards would be subjects to other gold carts effects, or none of them?

- Madroeme is extremely powerfull. Does it really have to increase base strenght even in the graveyard? I understand that a dimeritium bomb has no effect on it on the battlefield, but keeping it in graveyard is really OP. In particular if it stacks. I a have seen too many 13 gold poor infantry probably ... Honestly, once a creature is put to the graveyard, it should go back to its original base strenght. That would balance the "endless blue/gold resurection deck" fine.

- Roleplay is not encouraged. What do I mean: I made a "dwarves only" deck for fun, never fought against one. I fought often some "elves only" deck, and spanked them 75% of the time. It always pains me to see Geralt used in a monster deck...

- Missing a famous witcher ...

- There should be more cards that helps to "empty" the opposite player graveyard.

- Maybe it is explained somewhere, but I don't understand how it happens: how is it that some gold cards get a +2 bonus directly when played?

- No weapons or armors cards? I hope it will come, because improving equipment was a major part of the game. It would be great to find back famous weapons or armors from the game.

- Kegs randomness ... Couldn't help myself but to buy too many of them. A great game deserves its money! However it is quite frustrating: for the 3 "special cards" I have 95% of the time crap, and once in a blue moon 3 golds together. Shouldn't it better not to have to choose between 3 golds and have them a bit more often in the "average random barrel?" Maybe it is intended so: extremely rare gold, and the option to choose so you get at least one you like, I don't know. It is frustrating: you buy 15 kegs, have only 3 golds that pop and together, so you ended up with one...

- Why is Avallac'h a monster? Shouldn't he be neutral?

- In collection: automatic mill: great idea. Could it be possible to also select automatic mill of 2 out of 3 the cards that have 3 different looks if we have the 3 looks? It is a pain to have to manually do it each time. Maybe a "check button" that says something like "keep only one examplary of this version of the card" ? Maybe it exists already and I hav enot seen it :)

If any "non - troll" share my views, or have a different view, happy to discuss.

And again, thanks for the great game, I am sure balancing issues will de resolved, and that we will have hundreds of new cards!!

Gilrael

Last edited:
gilrael;n7359420 said:
- Maybe it is explained somewhere, but I don't understand how it happens: how is it that some gold cards get a +2 bonus directly when played?

That's NR's faction ability.

And, yeah, the "blue/gold" deck is killing the fun with endless mushroom/PFI-ing...

gilrael;n7359420 said:
This is a faction benefit for Northern Realms decks

- barrels randomness ... Couldn't help myself but to buy too many of them. A great game deserves its money! However it is quite frustrating: for the 3 "special cards" I have 95% of the time crap, and once in a blue moon 3 golds together. Shouldn't it better not to have to choose between 3 golds and have them a bit more often in the "average random barrel?" Maybe it is intended so, I don't know. It remain sit is frustrating: you buy 15 barrels, have only 3 golds that pop and together, so you ended up with one...

This might be a bit confusing for a new player so let me explain a bit about the kegs.
The first 4 are completely random but most likely to be commons. I have gotten a legendary as one of the first 4 once so it is possible.
The last 3 cards are all the same rarity. They may have different colours but you either get 3 rares, 3 epics or 3 legendaries. Don't let their colour fool you; they have the same craft/mill value. Just pick the one you like the most.

Devs are on vacation till 2nd January, so I would expect next patch on like 9th January.

Play some casuals, not a sigle PFI+shrooms today.

Northen Faction!! Thanks for the explanation. As if the blue decks were not already OP enough haha, but it is roleplay I concede, so no problem with that. Maybe, Monster decks should have the opposite bonus: -2 to Geralt and Ciri :p

Last edited:
gilrael;n7359420 said:
This is a special ability for Northern Realms. Each time a gold card hits your board (be transformation, played or even revived as a gold) it will get +2. There's a lot of decks around that rely on that ability.

The whole point of gold card is to have some sort of immunity. But that also means you can't pump them either.

There's a whole discussion thread about Aard. Many people don't like it because it can clear entire row in one go if there's a weather behind it. The problem is it triggers the -1 after whether resolves, not before. They will most likely look into it as it's not balanced well.

I agree with mutagen thing, it's overpowering as it stays that way in the graveyard, especially because there always 2 copies of the same strength. They could nerf it by removing the strength base from the copy, but that's the whole point of "poor infantry". Skellige decks are mostly based on discard and resurrection of Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers at increasing their base strength, but not nearly as powerful as the infantry.

They can be easily be countered though. Simply kill them before the opponent gets the chance to pump them. Most people carry lacerate for instance.

As for kegs. it is pretty random. Check this thread.

As you said, I also experience 2-3 golds in one keg and then don't see them for 10-15 kegs.

HenryGrosmont Yes. That is the deck I encounter the most in ranking games, by far, and it is extremely difficult to beat (due to mutagen base buff effect remaining in graveyard and the multiple rez mechanics)! I do beat it, but not often. And when in a competitive game, the vast majority are playing one very particular deck, among hundreds of possibilities, it does mean something about balance right?

gilrael;n7360020 said:
HenryGrosmont Yes. That is the deck I encounter the most in ranking games, by far, and it is extremely difficult to beat (due to mutagen base buff effect remaining in graveyard and the multiple rez mechanics)! I do beat it, but not often. And when in a competitive game, the vast majority are playing one very particular deck, among hundreds of possibilities, it does mean something about balance right?
Extremely difficult to beat? I don't think so.
I do get what you're trying to say about balance but it isn't the deck that gives me a headache. Usually, it takes me drawing really badly against Infantry deck for it to win. That and a very unorthodox opponent.

Update lol

I made an anti "poor infantry / mutagen / rez" deck, and since it is the most encountered these day, I beat the crap out of them 8/10. I even had a few of then that drop out of the game after a few rounds where I repetively smashed their poor infantry to hell.

Now, it is a sweet revenge, but it also means that I am having difficulties with most of the other decks now :p

Last edited:
gilrael;n7360110 said:
Now, it is a sweet revenge, but it also means that I am havinf difficulties with most of the other decks now :p
Right now, there are only two very specific decks that can cause me trouble.
Maybe there are more. But I haven't encountered them yet.
But that isn't the point. Infantry is pure bullying. Boring... Although I know a player or two who are really creative with this build.

I'll welcome new cards! 250 is just a taste of what's to come I guess. We are in closed beta, I should remember that. I love the game, and want more of it :p

Ya the game needs the campaign asap, it will help ease the frustration of not having your factions META DECK and continousally losing in ranked matches because one size fits all right now .

I already said in one of my thread that NR abilities are horrible & going to break the game in future too. Abilities like +2 for gold & promote renders many cards useless. You can't killed NR golds with Iorveth / Triss etc. & once promoted all counter cards are useless like weather / scorch / igni etc.

Here - http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...bomb-is-it-really-a-counter-for-promote/page4

Previously there is roach exploit & now poor infantry one & this is going to be continue with whenever new cards will come. NR +2 for gold ability is quite ok but promote is totally bad & it should be a neutral card like Renew or DShackels.

I have too stopped playing as now it feels bore to play & face same decks strategies. It's so repetitive.

Anyways I will again ask cdpr too revamp NR promote to something else or be ready too face NR problems in future too...Good Luck.

Last edited:
TH3WITCH3R;n7361680 said:
I already said in one of my thread that NR abilities are horrible & going to break the game in future too.

TH3WITCH3R;n7361710 said:
Same... It's not possible for me too to just create deck to counter NR exploits. I too face same NR deck & try to counter poor Inf. with igni / weather / aard but one medic & :/

(^ Ninja'd a reply from another thread, because my answer covers both.)

In the most simplistic sense, the game is either about creating a devastating combo or preventing one from happening. The Poor Infantry combo is pretty slow and can be countered by a lot cards before it can take place. If you do not play a control/counter deck, then that means you have quite powerful units yourself. Thus you would have to win the buff race or at least have more cards than your opponent to force him to play his hand.

The golden defense is the strongest ability of NR. If you take it away, there isn't much left. It can definitely be powerful in certain situations, but that applies to all tactics when used at the right moment. The biggest thread is still, what I call, the last card table turner. Examples are Shani/Restoration (ress a big unit), D-bomb (against weather), weather (against strong units), etc. But like I said, this is not limited to NR. You have to plan your strategies accordingly or try a different deck.

4RM3D;n7361810 said:
(^ Ninja'd a reply from another thread, because my answer covers both.)

In the most simplistic sense, the game is either about creating a devastating combo or preventing one from happening. The Poor Infantry combo is pretty slow and can be countered by a lot cards before it can take place. If you do not play a control/counter deck, then that means you have quite powerful units yourself. Thus you would have to win the buff race or at least have more cards than your opponent to force him to play his hand.

The golden defense is the strongest ability of NR. If you take it away, there isn't much left. It can definitely be powerful in certain situations, but that applies to all tactics when used at the right moment. The biggest thread is still, what I call, the last card table turner. Examples are Shani/Restoration (ress a big unit), D-bomb (against weather), weather (against strong units), etc. But like I said, this is not limited to NR. You have to plan your strategies accordingly or try a different deck.

I am not saying just remove promote but replace it with some other good strong ability which will have more counters like other factions abilities that's it.

Top Bottom