Is there a point to play currently? Only one deck is owning the game

+
shdcs1975;n7406690 said:
Scoia plays 2 Mushromms, 1 Lacerate, 2-3 Fireball traps.

No traps.

Let them revive all you want, just build card advantage and counter shrooms. Its pretty impossible to a PFI deck win first round against a decent scoia anyways. Second round just milk, PFI player will have or to use all his card and loose third round or will have to pass early and loose second round, anyways, its a really unfavorable matchup, PFI player will only have a chance if the scoia player missplays a lot and/or have a really bad rng.

There is indeed no reason to play this game, not due to PFI, rather because ST is totally retard and impossible to deal with all the value they can do currently.

The game needs a patch asap, or clearly it won't pass the beta.

After everyone learns the meta or all the common strategies, it's get predictable and boring. Most importantly, not fun. That's when I tend to not play as much :/

I'm sorry, why the hatred for ST? I can deal with them about half of the time, and I'm a lowly Skellige (and not a very experienced player). Just put some direct damage in your deck and kill those spawns of hell masquerading as elven mercenaries wherever you see them. If you see one, kill him with lacerate, if two - with venom, if he mardroemed himself - with thunder. He has only three of them, and no way to ever get more - kill them all and you are suddenly playing on even terms.

I love the pause I get from every ST opponent after I kill the first mercenary I see. I know what he thinks: what, I'm not going to have only the cards I want (and all the cards I want) in the last round? I can only use commandos on vanguards now? Some golds and silvers might not come to my hands at all? Nooooo!!!

ST is neither very strong nor very weak. If you can keep weather on them (while you are immune) or if you can load high value cards on board, you can give ST a hard time.

ST is fine but fireball trap still need to be reworked a little bit for two reasons.

1/ Because the reseting loop prevent some decks from existing (dwarf, breedable, savage bear/axeman...) the card should be disloyal so you can't reset it every time having virtually 7/8 FBT in your deck.
2/ Because the card doesn't make any sense right now....I mean litterally. It just doesn't do what it says.
FT is supposed to deal damage every time a unit APPEARS on your opponent's side of the battlefield. But it triggers on Gerald Aard which just pushes units that are already on the board (they are not appearing, they just move from a row to another).
Besides it says "A non-gold unit". If multiple unit appears at the same time (like foglets for example) only one should be randomly picked, not the entire group.

Noone plays PFI over 1700. It's easy to counter that with:

- dwarven spam buffing
- monster brute force (if you have Caretaker you can win with your monitor turned off just win round 2 and resurrect Baron for yourself in round 3)
- weather cards (Bitting Frost or Aeromancy or both)
- simply pushing first two rounds to force Shani in round 2
- putting 3 shrooms into your deck (bring the popcorn and watch PFI players cry)

PFI is strong if you don't know how to counter it. If you face it a lot around 1000-1300 just go through this mmr with a counter deck.

Last edited:
roverek;n7420040 said:
Noone plays PFI over 1700. It's easy to counter that with:

I see this a lot. It's almost always something along the lines of "In high ranks this strategy is not used, so learn to counter it aka just git gud". Now personally I don't like those statements. First of, there are many different levels of play. Just because "no one plays X in high ranks", that does not mean it isn't a problem. There is more to the game, than what happens in the high ranks.
Not every player has all the cards they need to counter certain strategies. Not every player has the skill and foresight to counter certain strategies. Not every player has enough insight into the game, to counter certain strategies. So when the players in the low ranks, keep queuing into the same "problem" decks again and again, those players will most likely end up giving up on the game. Which in turn is bad for the game. So that attitude of "I don't think its a problem, because I'm good at the game", does nothing good.

Now I just wanna assure you that no part of this was directed specifically at you or meant to offend you in any way. Just try and think about the problem from someone elses viewpoint. Specifically someone less skilled, and with fever resources than you :)

Almaron22;n7421480 said:
Not every player has all the cards they need to counter certain strategies.

To counter this OP strategie you need only 3 bronze card, everyone can have this bronze card very easy.

Almaron22;n7421480 said:
Not every player has the skill and foresight to counter certain strategies.
#

Then, we should ban strategies because there are to difficult for certain player to counter it? Realy? When someone has not enough skill to counter PFI, then he has not enough skill to play this game.

Almaron22;n7421480 said:
So when the players in the low ranks, keep queuing into the same "problem" decks again and again, those players will most likely end up giving up on the game.

When someone leave this game, because he can't counter a easy to counter strategie, then he should go. Because the game go more difficult with more cards and not going easier.
Almaron22;n7421480 said:
Which in turn is bad for the game.

Yes this is bad for the game, but making this game so easy that everyone can play this game, then you will see that other player leave that is a bigger problem for the game.

Almaron22;n7421480 said:
I see this a lot. It's almost always something along the lines of "In high ranks this strategy is not used, so learn to counter it aka just git gud". Now personally I don't like those statements. First of, there are many different levels of play. Just because "no one plays X in high ranks", that does not mean it isn't a problem.

I climbed from rank 2 to 5 (about 1550 rating atm) in the last week using SK revival deck and encountered very few NR decks.

However, it feels like everyone runs those (especially PFI) in casual.

Gotta play some weather and squash those NR noobs.

Esmer;n7516980 said:
However, it feels like everyone runs those (especially PFI) in casual.

Gotta play some weather and squash those NR noobs.

In casual it also seems to depend on MMR. I've won 80% of all matches the past few days with Skellige and atm I'm facing easily 80% ST and NR. Almost no Monsters or Skellige at all - and I haven't seen PFI for a while now.

devivre;n7517090 said:
In casual it also seems to depend on MMR. I've won 80% of all matches the past few days with Skellige and atm I'm facing easily 80% ST and NR. Almost no Monsters or Skellige at all - and I haven't seen PFI for a while now.

Are you sure there's MMR in casual?

I started playing right after I got an invite (surely they're inviting people in waves?) and was facing advanced decks right from the start. It was pretty frustrating to see a person playing 4 gold cards in a match when I only had Geralt in my deck.

I see a lot of Skellige and ST in ranked, but almost no NR and monsters. On the contrary, in casual I see a lot of NR and monsters and only a few SK and ST decks.

Esmer;n7517510 said:
Are you sure there's MMR in casual?

Right after the patch came out in december I was struggling a bit and got more and more mixed opponents between level 10 and 30. And I saw a lot lot more Monsters and Skellige than I do now. The more successful I'm playing the more it's shifting to NR (no PFI) and ST, usually with level around 30 and high above. So I'm pretty sure there's still some sort of MMR going on in casual.

Last edited:
This particular meta seems focused on plucking from graveyards. I am currently 21-5 around 1650 mmr playing a monster deck with no weather or nests. It counters the meta. As fancy and fun as it is to use all the gimmicky little cards and combos the game offers sometimes you need to sit down and look at the meta as a whole. Hint: Gryphons and Ghouls

Every Scoia'tael deck I have seen today was the same on ranked with very small variations. Now I can see why things can be boring. The matter regarding fun is not about winning or losing, just you see the same thing over and over. That would get tiresome like in a RPG where you play a bland encounter over and over.

Perhaps all these issues will be nullified after some balance patches and addition of more cards.

85% of the ranked matches I play are all against Monster/weather decks. Unless I get lucky enough to come out with 3 clear skies it's usually game over.

Ugralitan;n7529870 said:
Every Scoia'tael deck I have seen today was the same on ranked with very small variations. Now I can see why things can be boring. The matter regarding fun is not about winning or losing, just you see the same thing over and over.

2 weeks ago, i've posted here in the forums my own stats regarding the 360 games i'd played since 26th december and ST was the least played deck (around 20% of the times - I dont play ranked matches, btw).

Since that time, and probably due to the amount of publicity they've had in the foruns, ST has shifted to become the most recurrent deck with whom i've been matched with. Monsters and SK decreased substantially (had only 12 monster decks and 14 SK in 64 matches played in the last 5 days). ST has now become the most played (22) followed by NR (PFI ofc, with 16matches).

And this trend is getting worse and worse each day. Just yesterday, in 13 matches i've had 8 ST, 4 NR and 1 SK and NO monsters.

So with the last patch, monsters went from the most played deck to being pratically extinct. Which i relate to ppl being lazy or chosing the OP ST instead, because monsters are still viable. My wining rate since the patch varies from 42% to 76%.

Top Bottom