Is there a way I can 'convert' my physical copy of Cyberpunk in a digital one?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I ordered a day-one cyberpunk physycal copy for PC. But I won't use it, probabily I won't open it neither. I'll keep it in my trophy section!
Also because I have no CD reader on my pc, so I was wondering... is there a way to like 'redeem' a digital copy of the game as a consequence of my day one physical copy ?

Vronos

Forum regular
I wonder why we did not transition from games on discs in PC retail cases to games on cheap USB drives in PC retail cases. Many places in the world still have subpar Internet where the transfer even from a cheap USB drive to one’s HDD/SSD would be faster than downloading the equivalent amount of data over the Internet. And prices are comparable to BluRay discs which is what consoler players got (or used to anyway), meaning it would be financially feasible as well.

Kinda sucks that nowadays you just get a piece of paper with the code on it instead which kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying a physical version.

I wonder why we did not transition from games on discs in PC retail cases to games on cheap USB drives in PC retail cases. Many places in the world still have subpar Internet where the transfer even from a cheap USB drive to one’s HDD/SSD would be faster than downloading the equivalent amount of data over the Internet. And prices are comparable to BluRay discs which is what consoler players got (or used to anyway), meaning it would be financially feasible as well.

Kinda sucks that nowadays you just get a piece of paper with the code on it instead which kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying a physical version.

Cost

Guest 4406876

Because what we got back in the days in terms of boxed games are now "collector editions". What i miss the most is physical chubby manuals with lore and stuff . I think the last game I saw in the modern era with a good big manual full of stuff was World of Warcraft and in its standard edition.

Vronos

Forum regular
Did you miss that I already addressed that? Consoles get BluRay discs which are similar in price to cheap USB drives. Especially at scale for a customer like CDPR (or whoever this is outsourced to). Cost is clearly not the limiting factor here if developers/publishers are fine with spending that on console retail copies.

Besides, even if that were true (which it is not) there are other options such as sending retail outlets the data and allowing customers to bring their own data storage devices to copy the game onto. Or to sell/loan them USB drives etc. with the game already on them (i.e. you purchase the game from them and pay a fee to buy/loan the USB drive and receive it or all but a fraction back when you return it).

Seems to me that greed is the real reason. Fuck the customer, who cares what they want? If we can degrade our service to make a nickel more, let’s do it! That’s been the motto of large corporations all around the world for years, guess I should not be surprised to see the video game industry jumping on the bandwaggon, supposed good guys like CDPR included.

Did you miss that I already addressed that? Consoles get BluRay discs which are similar in price to cheap USB drives. Especially at scale for a customer like CDPR (or whoever this is outsourced to). Cost is clearly not the limiting factor here if developers/publishers are fine with spending that on console retail copies.

Besides, even if that were true (which it is not) there are other options such as sending retail outlets the data and allowing customers to bring their own data storage devices to copy the game onto. Or to sell/loan them USB drives etc. with the game already on them (i.e. you purchase the game from them and pay a fee to buy/loan the USB drive and receive it or all but a fraction back when you return it).

Seems to me that greed is the real reason. Fuck the customer, who cares what they want? If we can degrade our service to make a nickel more, let’s do it! That’s been the motto of large corporations all around the world for years, guess I should not be surprised to see the video game industry jumping on the bandwaggon, supposed good guys like CDPR included.

The cost to press a bluray disc in large production runs is WAY less than the cost of reliable 64+gb USB drives.

Of course they do it to reduce costs. With the decline of optical drives it was expected.

Win10 full version is on USB but its sold at a higher price than games and Microsoft really want people to use their o/s. (Thing is i wouldnt recommend anyone use it. Like driver dvds, its out of date. Use online tool to create your own USB install drive from latest build).

Last edited:

Vronos

Forum regular
Except that’s not true and certainly gets only more false as time goes on. There are no improvements to optical storage on the radar whereas its direct competitor (which is already cheaper) is on a continuing trend of decreasing prices per unit of storage. I recommend you actually look up the wholesale prices for USB drives. Not what you as the gullible end consumer pay for them but what they cost in manufacturing, especially the cheap models which do not need to meet particularly high standards for this kind of one-off/low device life purpose.

You posted a link about consumer writable discs. (burnable) Also consumer ffs.
Again, pressing optical discs in large production runs is WAY cheaper than reliable USB drives with capacities that would fit games.

WAY cheaper than even the garbage, unreliable flash memory that would come with the cheapest of wholesale USB drives manufactured in a chinese prison. WAY WAY cheaper.
Youre also dismissing reliability. Im talking the % of failure right out of the box, orders of magnitude larger than any usual pressed optical disc failure rate.

Your anger is misplaced. Also i forgot, that Win10 example? oh yeah the capacity wouldnt fit most games, let alone an AAA title.
Downloading is what we have to do. Be angry at your region's internet infrastructure, if anything.

Last edited:
Yet apparently it’s not “what we have to do” for consoles. It’s not like BluRay drives do not exist for PCs. Not sure where you get your info on failure rates, that sounds like pure speculation to me. And yes, prices are comparable according to what I read. Aside from the high master costs (non-existent with USB drives) that $2 price tag per pressed disc is rivaled by non-optical storage.

Lastly, none of what you responded with addresses the alternative to the out-of-box solution I started with. At the end of the day PC players in countries and places with non-first world Internet speeds get told to eat shit and die by publishers and developers alike. Not sure why you feel so compelled to defend that stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom