Is there still a chance to see the subway implemented in Night City? šŸš‡

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I'm really still hoping that some update will include the public transportation network in Night City.

Do you think the team will finish including it (since currently almost all the work is done) or is it really a discarded idea? šŸ¤”

MAP.png

There does seem to be a big chunk of it left in the game, and presumably another big chunk we can't see. But as the game functions without it, and there are more pressing issues, I can't see it being added back in unless it is really close to being finished.

I hope they do add it back in though. I find riding train & subway in games strangely relaxing.

Thereā€™s always a chance, but I donā€™t really believe in it becoming a thing beyond another teleport.

Itā€™d be neat, if there was a train or a monorail thing that roamed around Night City in real time. And the system allowed for random encounters both in and outside it [latter meaning, that you could jump out from speed to check it out if you wanted to, and former a conversation (even a quest) or an incident (possibly violent) inside that you could intervene with if you wanted].

Of course all fast travel should then become a paid convenience. Personally Iā€™d change the teleporters to cab/AV stops - choose what you order, from landtransportation to AVā€™s; and pay for the ride accordingly.

So:
- Flying: reeeally expensive (based on mileage), but safe with not much chance for encounters and fast, access to every part of the city (even rooftops where appropriate), best views,
- Cab: less expensive (also based on mileage), more prone to encounters (also violent ones), accessibilty limited to inner city ground level,
- Train: cheap (static ticket prices), really prone to encounters (even really dangerous ones), but also possibility for small extra missions and conversations with other passengers, limited accessibility (deficated inner city stations only),

A choose your poison kind of situation, if one wants to teavel by other means than by running or driving himself, with their use being encouraged by possible extra quests (small), said encounters and ā€immersionā€.

But yeah, thatā€™s not gonna happen.
Itā€™d be neat though.

I think they said already some time ago they are not planning to introduce a working/interactive public transportation system. What we have only serves a decorative purpose.

Thereā€™s always a chance, but I donā€™t really believe in it becoming a thing beyond another teleport.

Itā€™d be neat, if there was a train or a monorail thing that roamed around Night City in real time. And the system allowed for random encounters both in and outside it [latter meaning, that you could jump out from speed to check it out if you wanted to, and former a conversation (even a quest) or an incident (possibly violent) inside that you could intervene with if you wanted].

Of course all fast travel should then become a paid convenience. Personally Iā€™d change the teleporters to cab/AV stops - choose what you order, from landtransportation to AVā€™s; and pay for the ride accordingly.

So:
- Flying: reeeally expensive (based on mileage), but safe with not much chance for encounters and fast, access to every part of the city (even rooftops where appropriate), best views,
- Cab: less expensive (also based on mileage), more prone to encounters (also violent ones), accessibilty limited to inner city ground level,
- Train: cheap (static ticket prices), really prone to encounters (even really dangerous ones), but also possibility for small extra missions and conversations with other passengers, limited accessibility (deficated inner city stations only),

A choose your poison kind of situation, if one wants to teavel by other means than by running or driving himself, with their use being encouraged by possible extra quests (small), said encounters and ā€immersionā€.

But yeah, thatā€™s not gonna happen.
Itā€™d be neat though.
It would be GREAT to see something like this implemented.
The game would gain a lot in the interaction and immersion aspects.
Hopefully and some thinking head of the team, and with decision-making capacity, would read this and decide to include it.

It would be great if it could be implemented in some fashion. Not specifically so I could use it as fast travel, but because of the encounters and stories that we could have there. As much as I enjoy the game, one thing I miss due to the reliance on our own vehicles is the street-level aspect, I'd love to see more reason to go on foot, night-time artificially lit alleys, and Cyberpsychos haunting disused metro stations.

"IS THERE STILL A CHANCE TO SEE THE SUBWAY IMPLEMENTED IN NIGHT CITY?"

Considering the empty void beneath the mesh, no, don't think so. It would also not be visible from the outside, at the same time raise taxes onto the game, and just like all forms of public transport it would be rendered absolute simply due to the presents of the Fast Travel System.

Public transport could be highly immersive in Cyberpunk, but the majority of the players prefers speedy traversing, and CDPR knows that. Would be surprising if they let fast travel and slow travel exist side by side in one game simultaneously.

Unless there's some gameplay mechanic beyond fast travel is associated with it, I don't see any purpose spending dev. resources on it. Sure, it can add immersiveness to the game Shenmue-style, but if there's no actual purpose to use it, then why bother. It's a game. It needs gameplay mechanic.

Adding gameplay mechanic to subway travel is costly. For example, aforementioned encounters.

They ruled out including it in the game in the final part of the development.

For what reason?

There are many possibilities:

* They decided to simplify the mechanics to launch the game earlier and reap the benefits.
* They couldn't get it to work properly.
* Increased consumption of resources.
* It seemed like a good idea at first but then it lost all value as it was a story based game and there were no subway stories.
* It produced visual failures when showing unfinished parts of the game.

We are still waiting for the redemption that heals the wounds of this IP with immense potential to be a masterpiece ...

Only the developers have the floor to make Night city shine as it deserves, now that the Corpos listen to them and the players who love this IP we are aware of the problems and we can wait the months that are necessary for the return of Cyberpunk 2077 2.0

Honestly I'd love to see functioning subway, and it would be very immersive but I dont wanna hope. I am just waiting for story DLC
to see if I can keep my V allive
. But I am not even optimistic about that

Yeah as some already expressed and this is only my personal sensitivity or preference, it would be a nice treat for immersion, awsome if there would be encounters there but if it means removing attention for other features or if it means shutting down other working content I would prefer not. The subway never worked on ps4, I guess it uses resources, on the latest patches street tvs only turn on when player is very close so if the metro would be consuming resources riding around for the possibility we might get on it (or for visual effect, it riding around) I would do ok without

Unless there's some gameplay mechanic beyond fast travel is associated with it, I don't see any purpose spending dev. resources on it. Sure, it can add immersiveness to the game Shenmue-style, but if there's no actual purpose to use it, then why bother. It's a game. It needs gameplay mechanic.

Adding gameplay mechanic to subway travel is costly. For example, aforementioned encounters.

Don't underestimate the value of immersion. We already have a few car transitions that might as well have been just a black screen and you find yourself at your destination, but they decided it's worth to make them the whole experience (you getting in the car, the car driving there etc). And imo these works pretty well.
That said, as nice as @kofeiiniturpa idea sounds, it probably won't happen:)

Yes, but only if they limit it enough in order to not overwhelm themselves with work to do it in the first place.

So the "limitations" of a Subway system that would be more feasible to work on without requiring 4 years to finish would consist of something along the lines of:

- Greatly limit the actual number of stations the player can enter and exit from, I.E. don't fill up the city map with 30+ Subway stations. The low number of fleshed-out, worked-on, properly-developed stations would in the order of 4 or 5 total. Those 4 or 5 stations would be placed strategically across the game map in order to access the main cardinal locations, something general like one station for the Northern portion of the map, one for the South, one of the East, another for the West, and then maybe one in the Center area.

- Physically, seen from street level as you walk around you would still see the Subway train actually stopping by more stations for immersion purposes, but you as a player wouldn't be able to stop there because of course the devs wouldn't have time or resources to actually flesh out the 'real' number of Subway stations that Night City "should" have.

- There would also need to be limitations with the type of interactivity the 4 or 5 stations they'd make would allow the player to do. So you wouldn't need to make things too complicated for the sake of making things more complex. For example, entering the Northern station wouldn't require you to buy a ticket (physically or in-game digitally either), and you wouldn't need to wait for A.I. NPCs finish their waiting line in order to enter the train when it does stop and open its doors (I.E. no need to NPC physical collisions near or onboard the train to avoid glitches and NPCs falling off or clipping through the train doors, etc).

- And once inside the train, as it moves and heads to the next station that you - the player - CAN stop to, the train COULD stop to perhaps another station in between but you wouldn't be able to disembark there because that station is for "A.I. Only", and wouldn't be fully fleshed out enough to bother going there (nor would you be able to physically navigate in and out of such a station anyway). This would only be OPTIONAL on the part of the developers to work on such "in between" stations for added immersion, but it would require more time to code the A.I. in order to simulate the need of A.I. passengers to disembark to that station, and others to get on. I would completely understand even such stations wouldn't be worked on at all, and we'd only get a grand total of 4 or 5 and that's it.

BUT...

On the other hand, if they do limit themselves in that fashion, they WOULD be able to properly flesh-out, work on and polish REALLY unique stations that each have their own flair and tone, and mood according to the general area they deserve the population for. It would be a lot more pleasant to visit and 'explore' those stations even if there would be just 4 or maybe 5 of them, instead of having something like 20 to 30+ stations but each of them having just one layer of work and each of them in the end looking too similar with very little to distinguish from each others.

If they COULD actually organize their work 'frame' on such a system ahead of time, to ensure that they don't overwhelm themselves with something overly ambitious that can be done in maybe 1 and a half year or so then I think it'd be well within the realms of possibilities for a sizable DLC in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom