Is this a good time to return to Gwent?

+
Is this a good time to return to Gwent?

Hi!

I've stopped playing for quite a while, and now I see there are literally hundreds of new cards and some big patches announced. So, as the title says, is this a good time to return or should I wait all this new content to come back?

I'm a very casual player, so, i'm not sure about the best course of action now...

Thanks!

Well since you are casual you can just give it a go as a warming up phase for new patch. New patch will change a lot of mechanics and add tons of cards so everybody will kinda re-learn everything anyway. Don't waste scraps, kegs and ores though. It's better to use them after the patch is live. Most of the cards will be changed so no need to craft a deck.

It's a good time to return. However, getting back in the game after a longer break can be tough (that's why it can help to start playing a few days before the patch arrives) and we can't say for sure, how balance will evolve after the patch. But with all of these new cards, there's definitely going to be more variation, I think.

Yes it is, the meta is currently very stable and there is 1OO+ cards expected in a few weeks (days?).
I don't see any reason not to come back personally.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, i also stopped playing for 3 weeks, but returned this last week to start saving some ore, scraps and kegs cuz with over 100 new cards, the chances of getting new cards after the patch is way better than on the previous patches where only 20/30 cards were added.

iT'S THE BEST TIME! Massive update to cards and game mechanics etc. If new players get access to high end decks again though. I will quit.

devivre;n10008491 said:
It's a good time to return. However, getting back in the game after a longer break can be tough (that's why it can help to start playing a few days before the patch arrives) and we can't say for sure, how balance will evolve after the patch. But with all of these new cards, there's definitely going to be more variation, I think.

Bollocks! zero variation. The youtube guys will show them the decks to use and voila!

Bon apetite

Rinse and repeat.

Get a system where cards are locked until you reach a certain level implemented. But.....the devs wont do that!

gards;n10009371 said:
Bollocks! zero variation. The youtube guys will show them the decks to use and voila!

Gwent is not perfect but for me variation has significantly improved in the past months and I'm optimistic it will continue to do so.
But I respect your opinion :)

I agree that in the current season the variety seems good. My opponents seem to cover at least two archetypes in each faction, and except for Bran-resurrect, there seems to be a considerable variation within each archetype. If I play 6-8 games in a session, I'll usually face 5-6 different archetypes, and I have a variety of decks of my own that are competitive enough to be fun to play. I'm not a super-competitive player (play to Rank 16 for the kegs, but mostly casual) but for someone who only has a few hours a week to play, it's been pretty fun. I'm a little worried that all the new cards and gameplay changes with the next patch will mess with the balance that exists now.

DRK3

Forum veteran
antlers;n10009551 said:
I agree that in the current season the variety seems good. My opponents seem to cover at least two archetypes in each faction, and except for Bran-resurrect, there seems to be a considerable variation within each archetype.(...)

Sorry, but as someone who has Bran has their favourite Leader, i have to disagree. Not so long ago, i had 3 totally different Bran decks and they were all very decent.

Of those 3, i have my main Kambi+ Queensguard & Cerys, a full Discard deck with Herbalists and Crows Eyes, and a "fun deck" with Ciri Dash, Avallach: Sage and Johnny, and of those 3 the bronzes were very different apart from the Priestesses.

gards;n10009371 said:
Get a system where cards are locked until you reach a certain level implemented. But.....the devs wont do that!
Great idea! And then allow people to pay real money to unlock the use of said cards. Where i've seen it? Oh yeah, EA "f2p" game Battlefield (which long dead by now). Why players should get locked out of options? That's a ridicolous restriction. You won't accomplish anything other than frustrating new players away from the game since they are locked out of key cards.

gards;n10009341 said:
If new players get access to high end decks again though. I will quit.

This has nothing to do with new players. They have access to the same cards, only lacking experience. You do realize that you only need 4 gold cards, 6 silver cards and a bunch of cheap bronzes to get a "high end deck". Anyone who has been saving up, can get that on the first day of the patch (when you also mill your spares). The only saving grace is that the meta first need to stabilize, which gives players a small grace period until netdecks are established. But it's all moot in the end because anyone can create a competitive deck from the start, which is precisely the reason why Gwent is so kind to F2P players. If that's the reason you want to quite, then by all means. Regardless, constantly complaining about it doesn't really help. What's more is that you actually have full control over your deck, but if you don't move with the meta, you will get left behind.

gards said:
If new players get access to high end decks again though. I will quit.

Gwent is not about the cards you have it's about strategy, level-locking wouldn't even make sense since all cards are equally good, it's the synergies between all cards in a deck that make the deck powerful.

Seems like you'll have to leave because there will never ever be level restrictions for cards.

gards;n10009371 said:

Bon apetite

Rinse and repeat.

Why would cards be locked behind level requirements? It kills the deck variety you want. Instead of netdecking the best decks, most players will have the same decks because they're locked out of everything else.

Netdecking will always be a thing. Always. The game will never be balanced to the point where ALL decks, factions and leaders are equal. Some decks will always work better than others. If it's such an issue, create decks that counter popular net decks and you get easy wins. In fact, if net decking is prevalent you already know your opponent's deck, so good for you.

As for the OP. Gwent has never had more variety than it does now. While some decks are way above others, we're far away from Skellige/Monsters only decks we've had.

Top Bottom