Is this game an rpg?

+
Hello, I had many discussions about it with many people and I wanted to know your opinion. I understand that the industry today tends more towards hybrids than pure genre games.
Personally, I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.

The only real rpg's are the paper one. Everything else (including video games) can have at last common things with rpg. And video game "rpg" genre because of the fact it's not real can mean anything. There's no solid definition, so all gamers have their own vision of "rpg". And that's the cause of arguments online whether CP77 is an RPG or is not, while the answer is in the middle. The closest game to CP77 is for me Mass Effect 1, but on steroids. Your character is V, and just like Shepard V has past, he/she is not 100% your character, but by playing you can choose path for him/her. There are (mostly hidden so you have to predict if it can affect story) choices, usually little ones for a player, but important for a game (like death of not important NPC), but sometimes these choices can have huge consequences. The action actually is more focused on rpg elements - enemies are typical bullet sponges for low level / poorly developed character, while high lvl, well developed character can be too OP even without using guns. Loot system is... Meh? Not that bad, but not good either. And lots of people sucks at being stealthy / netrunning, so they say it's poorly balanced etc.

This game can easily be put in RPG category due to dialogue choices, and the progression system with various ways to build your character. It's an action adventure rpg like so many other games. Although of course this is very unique in that it's like a mix of Watch dogs, Far cry, Fallout, GTA, and Witcher3 in one way or another.

It's not entirely an RPG. But more so than not.

I mean... maybe an RPG-lite, but everything relates to making damage numbers bigger. Sure, sometimes having more points in Body or Tech helps open a door, but you could also just walk around the corner and find another opening to get into the same area.

Not really. I mean there will always be lots of argument over what makes a game an RPG. Technically any game where you play a role would fit the dictionary definition... of course that makes games like Mario and Zelda RPG's, because you play the character you're controlling.

Generally the common interpretation is that to be an RPG a game needs to be about choice and consequence, where it's based more on your stats than reflexes. Where your character and how you "build" them is what determines the gameplay.

That's why games like the new Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games are argued over, because while they have tons of stats and there's choices and consequences, the gameplay itself is all twitch based, meaning player skill completely invalidates character skills. If you're good at shooters, you'll win Fallout 4 easily, even if you don't build your character to be good with guns. Often those are referred to as Action-RPG's.

Meanwhile a game like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Pathfinder: Kingmaker are more accepted as "traditional" RPG's because a player's skills and reflexes aren't what determines success. It's all about character builds and strategic choices.

For Cyberpunk, it can MAYBE be called an Action-RPG. The problem is, again that stats make very little overall impact on success in the game. They might affect playstyles, but even without building up your gun skills, you can win shoot outs just fine based on player skill alone.
Plus the game is linear as hell. There are some "choices", but they're extremely shallow and have no real effect on the game as a whole. It's usually more along the lines of "do the quest or not". Most story quest choices don't really affect the story at all, they're just a matter of if you go Path A or Path B, both of which are functionally the same and lead to the same destination, so they're meaningless choices.

I'd call Cyberpunk an open world (a very poor one unfortunately) shooter with RPG elements. While there are stats and such, mostly the game is played as a straight up shooter focused on player skill and reflexes.

I like the game, and am having fun with it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's looking for an RPG.

i would say ACTION with some mechanics of a rpg. More like Breakpoint than Witcher nor Kingdoms of amalur or any other Souls game!

But its fun running around and split people in half with a Katana!

Yes it fits the definition of an RPG, i don't need to explain this to you.

Here is wikipedias version

'A role-playing game (sometimes spelled roleplaying game;[1][2] abbreviated RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making regarding character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]'
Post automatically merged:

This game is much more along the lines of an open world shooter such as Far Cry or Borderlands or Rage 2, than a more RPG styled action game like Witcher 3 or Elder Scrolls or Kingdom Come.
I disagree, it has SOME familiarities with borderlands shooting mechanics but its very much an RPG alive and kicking, please see my description above.

Guest 4406876

No it's not. As with TW3 you play a character not yourself.
even if it might be hard to play exactly like a PnP RPG (because it's 90% dialogues and yes, in that case the story actually changes and GMs have to imrpovise all the time and very often trash everything they planned) I still feel other games captured the essence of RPG in a much better way, much closer to PnP.
I actually feel that CP77 has nothing to do with PnP RPGs at all. If it wasn't called Cyberpunk we might not even have this conversation.

... it's like a mix of Watch dogs, Far cry, Fallout, GTA, and Witcher3 in one way or another.

And don't forget AC. I've been doing quite a bit of climbing and sneaking around and quiet take downs.
Post automatically merged:

If the age old habit of picking up anything that isn't nailed down is a criteria, yes, this is an RPG game.

Personally, more of an on-the-rails shooter. Everyone is playing essentially the same V - we aren't all creating unique Vs who react differently or are treated differently (changing your appearance doesn't change Vs personality). I'd say this is an FPS with roleplaying game elements added on.

Hello, I had many discussions about it with many people and I wanted to know your opinion. I understand that the industry today tends more towards hybrids than pure genre games.
Personally, I consider that it has rpg characteristics but is more focused on an action / looter sandbox.
Let's summurize my thoughs about the game :
- Someone in french Youtube called it an AAA narative game, which is quite accurate.
- The game lacks too much interaction in the world to be called RPG. Choice are not THAT impactfull, and the story is pretty much on rails. As a result, someone in US on Youtube told in CP77 the player explores the map and not the world, which means to me that CDPR miss the essence of RPGs.
- I'd call it a walk sim. With combat / driving / stealth, because this game, in my opinion, is a platform which miss about 50% of it content (or even more).
As a walk sim, it's not well received by the public because 33-50% of its current content have bugs, which breaks the fourth wall.

When the player explores an area, he immediatly receives a huge number of phones calls, which fills the map instantly. It's not well designed here. Between missions, CDPR should limit the spam of phone calls with a limit of 1 per 10 minutes. That would also cure that stupid double phone calls problem.

I want so much to mod that game...

Last edited:
Top Bottom